UKC

Rab Boreas Vs Mountain Hardwear chockstone jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Any review opinion, or suggestions for alternatives.

I'd prefer the smock I think, and the hood really appeals.

I'm mainly out every month of the year in north wales so can have a variety of weather, looking for something a bit less than my heavyish softshell that can be worn on those grey, cold ish days. (the kind of weather we only seem to get in the UK that isnt really understood by manufacturers)

Trying to find some that wont break the bank as I have enough gear this would just be more comfortable.
 neuromancer 14 Oct 2015
In reply to minus273degrees:

Not sure the Boreas is appropriate - it's not a softshell in anything but soft. It's not got a DWR, it isn't windproof (more than a t-shirt but nowhere near a pertex microlight like a montane lite-speed). It's literally a hooded lycra layer with a chest pocket.

I wear it for a sunny but slightly blustery day climbing - say pembroke in the sun.

The chockstone is a non-hooded light softshell with DWR.

Maybe a vapour-rise stretch might suit? Or a ME Ultratherm?
 More-On 14 Oct 2015
In reply to neuromancer:

Completely agree with you regarding the Boreas. I really like mine, but not for the sorts of days the OP mentioned as you say.
If the Boreas is too little I use a Montane Alpine Stretch. It is just so comfortable across a wide range of conditions, just as long as it's not too wet. It is also much tougher than the pertex shelled vapour-rise, ultratherm etc if that matters.
 neuromancer 14 Oct 2015
In reply to More-On:
If you like greeney-yellow it's only £60 from sportsshoes.com.

But it is about 500g which isnt much different from a full-blown Powershield softshell.
Post edited at 12:01
 More-On 14 Oct 2015
In reply to neuromancer:

> But it is about 500g which isnt much different from a full-blown Powershield softshell.

Indeed, but I find non-lined softshell more comfortable in the types of day the OP was looking at. I also like the four pockets and good hood that add most of the weight, but each to their own.
In reply to neuromancer:

Yes like you say maybe I am looking for the wrong style, I'm thinking something for those cold but dry days when a t-shirt isnt enough but walking or climbing generates a lot of heat.

I wasn't too worried about water/showerproof for this reason but maybe worth a consider
 neuromancer 14 Oct 2015

What about a fleece and a windproof? More versatile than these solutions?
 climber34neil 14 Oct 2015

I have both the super chockstone jacket (which has a hood) and also the rab ( albeit the ventas non hood version) They are both excellent, the chockstone is reasonably windproof although not totally but I've also found it to be very showerproof and warm enough for most activities apart from winter , however I may use it as a layering piece with an insulated layer on top as I find it really comfy to climb and walk in. For spring summer and autumn it's become my go to jacket. The rab is just a really nice light top that I use when a tea shirt isn't quite enough. I prefer the ventas though as I found the hood on the boreas so light that if you weren't wearing it then it used to get blown around my face which I found a bit annoying. I have also worn them together which worked well to as they are both very breathable
In reply to neuromancer:

Got that I want something a bit light for weather that doesnt call for a full on jacket
In reply to More-On:

Whats your thoughts on the alpine stretch
 neuromancer 14 Oct 2015

I'll let it go if you ask me to, but could you let me know what weather or conditions make a softshell a better choice than some form of insulating layer and some form of windproof layer seperately?

To throw a spanner in the works; Rab Alpine?
 More-On 14 Oct 2015

I find it very versatile. Once the weather is just a bit too chilly and/or windy for the Boreas it works as a breathable wind resistant top that is far more breathable than a pertex windproof. If it gets colder still, it goes over my RAB baseline hoodie as the wind blocking layer (like neuromancer's suggestion above). It also works as an outer layer over a thin Primaloft midlayer if multipitching in winter, as its tougher than pertex. As I said before the style with pockets and hood works for me and if (heaven forbid) it gets warm it is more comfortable than a true windproof.
HTH...
In reply to neuromancer:

no real reasons

let me lay it out more, I spend alot of time in the hills and could manage with what I have at the moment what is, softshell jacket (quiet heavy), hard shell smock (no insulation), down jacket (mainly used when I stop on a cold but dry day)

I walk and climb and often around this time of year and even summer months it can be overcast or a bit cold and hill walking with a t-shirt is just not quite enough (maybe because of the wind) but its too hot to have the soft shell on as it doesnt breath that well often I will put the hard shell on as a wind layer. I'm kinda looking for something to wear over the t-shirt that will keep me warm but no too hot
 BnB 14 Oct 2015

I'm going to go against the grain of the other contributors and suggest that the Boreas is just the ticket. Plenty warm enough over a tee shirt when you're striding uphill and a proper softshell would cook you to a damp crisp. And when it's a bit chilly walking on the ridge I find a windshirt over the Boreas is a more comfortable system than most softshells, which tend to make me prickly warm. Or wear a powerdry/power grid fleece as a base with the Boreas over the top. Lovely!!

This is for 3 season use, ie typical British grey, cool and windy Spring through to Autumn

neuromancer 14 Oct 2015
In reply to BnB:
Oh I'd agree - it's absolutely mega for fast active pursuits - i wear it over a tshirt running, hiking, scrambling. Thats why I have one.

But it tends to be a bit chilly rock climbing - that's all!

That said if they're still the same price they were when I bought one - £25 at Cotswolds, just grab one anyway?

Otherwise I might be tempted to buy a cheap rab alpine (£50) and a montane alpine stretch (£60). These threads!
Post edited at 20:58
 BnB 14 Oct 2015
In reply to neuromancer:

You're right the Boreas is for active days not cold belays. I misunderstood the purpose. My Alpine Stretch always feels too cool when static or too warm on the move (outside winter) however. The best jacket I've yet discovered for rock climbing in typical grey, breezy conditions is the Nano Air (not Nano Puff) because it's so breathable on the move yet so warm and cosy on the belay, but we've gone over £145 let alone £45!! Best £150 I've ever spent on technical clothing though.
 More-On 15 Oct 2015

> I'm kinda looking for something to wear over the t-shirt that will keep me warm but no too hot

This is exactly what I use both the Boreas and the Alpine Stretch for - it just depends how cool and/or windy it is. I also find layering the two works well.

Try them both as they have a different inner surface and you may prefer one over the other. It also depends on the features you want as I said above. I should also add I used to use a pertex windproof and find both of these far more comfortable.
In reply to minus273degrees: I think the RAB Boreas is an amazing and versatile piece of clothing. It is also relatively cheap. I have two and I very much doubt you will regret buying one.

However, I have had to alter the hood on mine to get aperfect fit. The hoods had a slight tendany to droop over my eyeline but a seam along the neckline gathering in about an inch of material has now resolved that

At a slight tangent since we are talking about softshells, I have to say that although it looks great I am slightly under whelmed by my RAB Exodus jacket in terms of warmth. Therefore I'm possibly in the market for something with a slightly better blend of insulation and wind/water resistance to wear over the Boreas in more inclement weather.
 BnB 15 Oct 2015
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:

> At a slight tangent since we are talking about softshells, I have to say that although it looks great I am slightly under whelmed by my RAB Exodus jacket in terms of warmth. Therefore I'm possibly in the market for something with a slightly better blend of insulation and wind/water resistance to wear over the Boreas in more inclement weather.

As I mentioned above, if the Boreas is worn over a short sleeved tee shirt, you won't need much (or any) more than a good windshirt on over, anything more and you'll overcook. Works a treat with a lightweight insulated top in the pack for picnics and long stops.

If you want something more substantial then I'd suggest it should replace the Boreas, not overlayer it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...