UKC

Calanques still a car crime capital?/Provence recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 seankenny 14 Oct 2015
I'm going climbing in Provence for a long weekend, heading to Buoux but the forecast for the hills of the Luberon is for rain on Sunday. Forecast for Marseille is slightly better but on Sunday we'll have all our kit in the car to fly home on Sunday night.

Are the Calanques still a car crime capital? I've been before, parking in both Cassis and at the Marseille city end, but was super careful not to leave anything in the car. Clearly that won't be an option this time - anybody any idea of the risk? Alternatively, any good suggestions for the coast which are safe, likely to cop the good weather and not too far from Marseille airport?
 Colin Moody 14 Oct 2015
In reply to seankenny:

People say it is fine if you park at Luminy University, but I would still try and hide stuff.
 BruceM 14 Oct 2015
In reply to seankenny:

I have wanted to visit here but am always in a UK (small)campervan/car loaded with gear. Am interested in ways of getting there and keeping your car elsewhere safe. That uni is one idea, although still sounds not entirely criminal proof. Are there any other cunning plans of safe parking elsewhere and public transport or something that anyone has used.

(Sorry: I hope this isn't really a thread hijack as the answer really is the same.)
 Phil Anderson 14 Oct 2015
In reply to seankenny:
According to a French couple we got chatting to whilst climbing in the Verdon last year yes, it definitely is still a car crime capital.

Such a shame as it looks like it could be quite decent.
Post edited at 14:09
OP seankenny 14 Oct 2015
In reply to BruceM:
> I have wanted to visit here but am always in a UK (small)campervan/car loaded with gear. Am interested in ways of getting there and keeping your car elsewhere safe. That uni is one idea, although still sounds not entirely criminal proof. Are there any other cunning plans of safe parking elsewhere and public transport or something that anyone has used.

> (Sorry: I hope this isn't really a thread hijack as the answer really is the same.)

Parking in Cassis might work, but it's quite a walk to and from the crags (and hence not suitable for a departure day) and I thought the cliffs at the other end of the massif were a bit better.

To be honest I wouldn't be considering going there if the forecast were good, ie if you go down there, visit the other crags first!
Post edited at 14:25
 Alan Bates 14 Oct 2015
In reply to seankenny:

I parked a hire car in Cassis for a week last year, just on free street parking at the top of the hill in a residential area (Avenue de la Veille Tour), without any problem. Admittedly without leaving anything of particular note in view within the car.
It might be possible to take one of the tour boats and get them to drop you off and pick you up later, clearly that won't be a free ride, but a nice way to approach the cliffs.
 David Coley 15 Oct 2015
In reply to seankenny:

Sean, I think you are going to have to strip the car out, open the glove box and drop the cover in the boot. I was once on a train with an American family who had parked at the back of the beach on the way to the airport. They were away from the car for 5min. On return the car had been stripped, and because their passports had gone could not fly.

I used to even remove the HT leads from my car.

An alterative is to leave you car at a campsite and get a taxi in for the day.
 AJM 15 Oct 2015
In reply to seankenny:

Replied on the other channel, but just go to the permadry bits of Chateauvert instead...?
OP seankenny 09 Nov 2015
In reply to seankenny:

Thanks for the suggestions guys, went to Baou at Toulon which was dry, quiet and good climbing too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...