UKC

Easy multi pitch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Mollythedog 14 Oct 2015
Hi,
My sister is starting climbing, and we want to take her on some easy multi pitch, in preparation for a spring trip to Cornwall.
We don't want a long walk in as I broke a knee last year. We thought of middle fell, but is there anywhere else? We live near Skipton.
Cheers,
Sue
In reply to Mollythedog:

widdop's got a few multi pitch climbs. a rarity on grit. theyre not exactly long, but are good. and include a 'stomach traverse' at one point- what more could you ask for...?

:-D

gregor
Mollythedog 14 Oct 2015
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:
Thanks. I don't remember that vdiff being that easy though...
In reply to Mollythedog:

glad it wasnt just me! awkward at a couple of points rather than hard i'd say- and can lower second off at the hardest point (I did...)

gregor
 Trangia 14 Oct 2015

Lakes:- Middle Fell Buttress, Upper Scout Crag Route 1(slightly awkward first pitch but superb exposed but easy 2nd pitch), Little Chamonix (steep and intimidating but actually easy)

N Wales:- Faith, Hope and Charity, Idwal Slabs Ordinary Route (very easy)*, Milestone Buttress, Flying Buttress - both the last two have awkward chimney/crack finishes

All are within 10 - 15 mins of the road

* The descent from Idwal Slabs has a steep section which is easy but a little intimidating.
In reply to Trangia:

OP lives near skipton- its a bit of a trek to n wales.

lakes suggestions are good- esp little chamonix. what a great final pitch...
 BnB 15 Oct 2015
In reply to Mollythedog:

Corvus on Raven Crag Borrowdale and Giants Crawl on Dow are the best low grade (sub vdiff) multipitch outings in the Lakes but each has a relatively stiff one hour walk-in. But a lovely walk off in each case!!
 summo 15 Oct 2015
In reply to Mollythedog:

It's the obvious choice but there are several at Sheperds Crag upto VD/S, minimal walk in.

Lots of other single pitch stuff too, dotted around, but no one crag has a monopoly of easy lines. Goat crag is an excellent little granite crag in eskdale. Modest walk in, nice easy angle, routes from Diff-hvs, 10 mins from road. Other smaller crags nearby too, hare crag etc.. Only down side is more of a drive to get there.
 GrahamD 15 Oct 2015
In reply to BnB:

I think Dow crag in October might be a bit of a stiff introduction !

Langdale is probably a good call - either Middlefell or something on Raven or upper Scout.
J1234 15 Oct 2015
In reply to Mollythedog:

At this time of year I would suggest something at Wallabarrow crag possibly. Short walk on and off, low and catches the sun. Or more of a drive, but well worth it, The Moelwyns above Tanygrisau, again short walk in and easy decent, not just sure on the aspect or height.
 Stone Idle 15 Oct 2015

I've done Skipton to Gogarth for the day - but Lakes is better
Mollythedog 19 Oct 2015
In reply to Mollythedog:

Thanks to everybody for your advice. I think maybe wallabarrow or scout might be the best bets overall. Easy walking and no fear factor!
Cheers ,
Sue.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...