UKC

RWC quarter final weekend

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gribble 17 Oct 2015
Should be interesting. I suspect Ireland will be the only home nation to make it through to the semis, but would love to be proved wrong. NZ-France feels like an unknown. I'm looking forward to this!
 arch 17 Oct 2015
In reply to gribble:

Umm.......

We're off to a 50th birthday party toinght. Deep joy. Going to miss the All Blacks-France game

Good job for Virgin record. Not sure what time I'll get to watch it though.......And I think you're right about the home nations.
In reply to gribble:

> Should be interesting. I suspect Ireland will be the only home nation to make it through to the semis, but would love to be proved wrong.

Pretty much agree, although being a Welsh fan I'll be hoping for more of the same attitude with a bit more composure when taking penalties.
 Horse 17 Oct 2015
In reply to gribble:

As an almost neutral observer I'm hoping for some cracking, top quality rugby. Can't see either blue team progressing.

The other games might be closer than one imagines, much as I wouldn't be disappointed with the Saffers showing Wales the exit sign, the Welsh have become annoyingly hard to beat if a bit one dimensional. They also have a rather good record at Twickenham.

Los Pumas are no pushover, no longer a one trick pony of fantastic srcummaging and have been quietly going about their business off most peoples radar. Ireland should have too much nous and dog to lose, I expect a Munster like game. Could be a close one that might be decided by the state of the groin in the Ireland number 10 shorts.

Welsh Kate 17 Oct 2015
In reply to gribble:

More or less in agreement with the other comments. Much as I'd love Wales to notch up another rare victory against a southern hemisphere team I fear I'll be pulling off the red jersey tonight and concentrating on the Irish part of my ancestry instead
 coinneach 17 Oct 2015
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Ford & Grey's bans have just been rescinded.

Probably won't improve our chances though, not having a huge grudge !
 Horse 17 Oct 2015
In reply to coinneach:

One excuse gone then.

Sexton pulled from Ireland side.
 coinneach 17 Oct 2015
In reply to Horse:
Mission has been accomplished by reaching the quarters.

Knock out rugby now though and anything could happen.

I'm not expecting a win tomorrow but you never know.

Pleased to see that the guardian columnists who to a man predicted an English victory over Australia expect us to get gubbed.

Hope history repeats
Post edited at 16:03
 Horse 17 Oct 2015
In reply to coinneach:

> Mission has been accomplished by reaching the quarters.

Hopefully the players won't think that, go and give it lash anything can happen.

In reply to Horse:

Holycr*pI'mhyperventilating

It's a nailbiter, entirely through Wales' doing: four soft, kickable penalties, else the Saffers are nowhere in it - dominating in midfield and the scrums are going to go their way in the second half, but needing Welsh infringements to capitalise.
 Welsh Kate 17 Oct 2015
In reply to Martin not maisie:

Yep, taking mouthfuls of red jersey!
 coinneach 17 Oct 2015

Daft penalties but Wales look so solid in defence.

SA haven't come close to a try.
 coinneach 17 Oct 2015
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Sh@t . . . . Famous last words!
 Welsh Kate 17 Oct 2015
In reply to coinneach:

Damn
In reply to Welsh Kate:

South Africa a force of nature in the second half - making yards with every phase, contesting in the ruck, pushing Wales back. Scrums weren't a huge feature - else it'd have been worse for us - but the try came off not only a scrum, but also another over-commitment by the Welsh defence. And that man again.

Great match, but right result.
 Postmanpat 17 Oct 2015
In reply to coinneach:

> Sh@t . . . . Famous last words!

You are the guilty one!
 Trangia 17 Oct 2015
In reply to coinneach:

> Sh@t . . . . Famous last words!

And what a try!!

Well done SA
Kipper 17 Oct 2015

> .... And that man again.

That could explain the 'Don't pass it to Cuthbert' shouts all around where I was sitting at the first game

BnB 17 Oct 2015

The possession and territory stats for the second half make horrible reading for the Welsh yet highlight how mightily they strove in defence. But it would have been a travesty to see Wales go through, not least because of the limitations of Warrenball, and it's worth noting that had their kicker had a better second half, S Africa would have won by 13.

Australia remain the only side I've enjoyed watching for the quality of their all round game and the first Aussie/Kiwi final looks highly likely. I doubt France will have much to say about that and Scotland, lucky to escape their group, will succumb meekly. Despite all the hype about mutinies and revolt this remains the most limited French side in decades.
 Postmanpat 17 Oct 2015
In reply to BnB:

> Australia remain the only side I've enjoyed watching for the quality of their all round game and the first Aussie/Kiwi final looks highly likely. I doubt France will have much to say about that and Scotland, lucky to escape their group, will succumb meekly. Despite all the hype about mutinies and revolt this remains the most limited French side in decades.

So Monday for the inquest about why the Northern hemisphere is so crap!!
 Trangia 17 Oct 2015
In reply to Postmanpat:

> So Monday for the inquest about why the Northern hemisphere is so crap!!

No, France will beat NZ tonight.

I feel it in my bones - had a similar feeling for Japan v SA match a few weeks ago........
 BnB 17 Oct 2015
In reply to Trangia:

I'm a big fan of the old style France so would love to see it!! Not hopeful however.
 Denni 17 Oct 2015
In reply to BnB:

French are going to get stuffed by the looks of things. AB's just outstanding,
andymac 17 Oct 2015
In reply to gribble:

So..

Who meets Scotland in the Semi's?
 felt 17 Oct 2015
In reply to Denni:

Different class, Clive.
 Denni 17 Oct 2015
In reply to felt:

Savea, outstanding player and as you said, different class indeed.
 coinneach 17 Oct 2015
In reply to Denni:

Too easy for NZ
 coinneach 17 Oct 2015
In reply to Denni:

I think even Georgia put up a better show .
 Denni 17 Oct 2015
In reply to coinneach:

Last 2 tries, proper rugby!
In reply to Trangia:

> No, France will beat NZ tonight.

> I feel it in my bones - had a similar feeling for Japan v SA match a few weeks ago........

Worst prediction of the year award for trangia!
 coinneach 17 Oct 2015
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

He's hopefully rooting for Australia tomorrow.
In reply to coinneach:

Lol....

I don't think even trangia's predictions can save us....!

Here's hoping its closer than what we've seen tonight...
 Fraser 17 Oct 2015
In reply to Denni:

Great final quarter in particular but some of those seriously forward passes should have been picked up. A number of the 'one-man line-outs' were rather skewed too.
 Tony the Blade 17 Oct 2015
In reply to Denni:

What a game, the NZ offloads were bordering on ridiculous, even the props were getting among it.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching the ABs.

Tomorrow I'm Irish
 Trangia 17 Oct 2015
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

I blame it on rheumatism...........
Kipper 17 Oct 2015
In reply to Fraser:

> .... those seriously forward passes should have been picked up.

This has been going on for years - something picked up from League I think.

In reply to Trangia:

> I blame it on rheumatism...........

'Liked'....
Pan Ron 18 Oct 2015
In reply to Kipper:

Hands going backwards, that's all that matters.
http://www.rugbydump.com/2011/10/2204/what-is-a-forward-pass

Silly rule imho, even as a Kiwi, but that is the rule. Far easier to police and more in keeping with the game if the pass had to actually go backwards to be legit. But that is the way it is and I suppose it allows for less static passing.
 Fraser 18 Oct 2015
In reply to David Martin:

Good link, particularly the explanatory video clip, so cheers for that. There were still a few passes that were definitely 'forward' imo; some were essentially from where the passer was in the process of being tackled or otherwise restrained so was passing from a static position in any case, so that's surely easier to assess.

There were blatant line-outs on both sides however where the guy taking the l/o passed high (and very squint) to himself, thereby making the game more fluid - which I'm all for - but the line of the throw was miles from being straight.

Having said that, I still really enjoyed what was a great display of rugby. That last minute, try-saving tackle of Nonu by the French was fantastic and showed a level of mental strength that, in some other squads, would have long since evaporated.
 andy 18 Oct 2015
In reply to Fraser: Taking a quick line out the throw doesn't have to be straight:

> Quick throw-in[edit]
> A quick throw-in may be taken without waiting for a line-out to be formed.[7] For a quick throw-in to be legal, the ball can not have been touched by any other person (player or non-player), apart from the player taking the throw or the opponent who may have carried the ball into touch and it can only be taken between the point of the ball leaving the field and the thrower's own goal line.[7] If a line-out begins to form before the quick throw-in is taken the throw-in is not permitted.[7] To prevent quick throw-ins, members of the opposing team will often race to the point where the ball went into touch to ensure a line-out is forming. In a quick throw-in the player throwing the ball back into play cannot send the ball forward towards the opponent's goal line, though unlike a line-out the ball may be thrown back in the direction of the player's own goal line.[7]
 Fraser 18 Oct 2015
In reply to andy:

I stand corrected, thanks for clearing that one up!
 Jamie B 18 Oct 2015
That was about as close as I've ever seen to Total Rugby from the Blacks. Workrate, intensity, individual skills - just amazing. If they can roll that out again nobody will live with them.

Jamie B 18 Oct 2015
In reply to BnB:
I have to take slight issue with the "Scotland lucky to escape group" quote. We didn't expect to take anything from the SA game, but were clinical against Japan and worked hard to stay in the game and ultimately prevail against an inspired Samoa. Somehow that felt like application rather than luck, but I accept that we'll need a large slice of that against the Aussies!
Post edited at 10:44
 BnB 18 Oct 2015
In reply to Jamie B:
Sorry Jamie. Can't resist a bit of niggle at Scotland. I still haven't got over 1990. Although you were bloody good then!!

Is Finlay Calder still involved with the new distillery on Sleat?

It was the timing of the Japan game I was referring to, not to the effort or willingness to have a go, which has been admirable.
Post edited at 13:13
 Postmanpat 18 Oct 2015
In reply to gribble:

Well, this is very depressing.....
 Horse 18 Oct 2015
In reply to Postmanpat:

Not really, Los Pumas look on top of their game.
 BnB 18 Oct 2015
In reply to Horse:

Blimey, Argentina are so much better and more expansive than we're used to. Lovely handling and great to watch. I'm seriously impressed
 Horse 18 Oct 2015
In reply to BnB:

They have been like that for a while now. Surprise is that Ireland are so supine. It isn't over yet, Irish need a try to even up the contest.

Right on cue, we have a game.
 Postmanpat 18 Oct 2015
In reply to Horse:

> Not really, Los Pumas look on top of their game.

And Ireland aren't. That's what's depressing. Not over yet.....
 Horse 18 Oct 2015
In reply to Postmanpat:

Gradually Ireland are pulling themselves back into the game. Very far from over.
 Postmanpat 18 Oct 2015
In reply to Horse:

Game on...
 Horse 18 Oct 2015
In reply to Postmanpat:

The tide is turning.
 BnB 18 Oct 2015
In reply to Horse:
Wow. Would you in your wildest dreams (or nightmares) have predicted 40:20 to the Pumas at 70 mins?
Post edited at 14:52
 andy 18 Oct 2015
In reply to Horse: It's turned back.

Horse 18 Oct 2015
In reply to andy:

Looking like a flood tide now.
 coinneach 18 Oct 2015
In reply to BnB:

Good grief ! Just back from a bike ride.

Can't believe we saw Scotland thump Argentina just a year ago!
OP gribble 18 Oct 2015
In reply to gribble:

Well I don't suppose the final game is going to pick up the mood much for the NH! Still, can always hope. Good games so far, and justified wins by the teams.
 Tony the Blade 18 Oct 2015
In reply to gribble:

Watching the Jocks giving it a right old go against the Wallabies.
 BnB 18 Oct 2015
In reply to Tony the Blade:

Harsh yellow card. No way deliberate.
In reply to BnB:

My thoughts exactly. Followed by 7pts...
 Horse 18 Oct 2015

Game on.
 coinneach 18 Oct 2015
In reply to Horse:

Game over

Scotland tired now.
In reply to coinneach:

> Game over
Not quite
 Horse 18 Oct 2015

Back on good and proper now.
 Postmanpat 18 Oct 2015
In reply to Horse:

They're already writing the "Scotland brave in defeat" headlines.
 BnB 18 Oct 2015
In reply to Postmanpat:

Blimey. Who expected such a contest. Australia a bit careless or they might have won more easily. Perhaps feeling the effects of the England and Welsh games?
 Horse 18 Oct 2015
In reply to Postmanpat:
They were a bit hard done by I thought. Mind you if you can't sort out and catch a standard line out life is always to be tough.

But well done for Scotland for turning up and giving a good go.
Post edited at 17:48
 Postmanpat 18 Oct 2015
In reply to Horse:

> They were a bit hard done by I thought. Mind you if you can't sort out and catch a standard line out life is always to be tough.

> But well done for Scotland for turning up and giving a good go.

Blimey, ref got that last one wrong!
 coinneach 18 Oct 2015
In reply to BnB:

Aye don't be going giving Scotland any credit.
 BnB 18 Oct 2015
In reply to coinneach:

The Scots were great. Played to a plan and played with a smile which made a huge difference to their execution. You must be gutted just now. But Australia were worthy winners (just)
 Horse 18 Oct 2015
In reply to Postmanpat:

He did but why allow him to make the decision? Simple line out, catch, no decision to make.

Real shame it ended like that as takes a bit of the gloss off a good game and top performance by the Northerners.
andymac 18 Oct 2015
In reply to gribble:

Unlucky fellow Jocks.

Proud of your performance.

Impressed with Brian Moore's BBC comment ;

"Brave ,Brave Scotland.Commiserations."

Thank You Brian.
Post edited at 18:13
 Postmanpat 18 Oct 2015
In reply to Horse:

> He did but why allow him to make the decision? Simple line out, catch, no decision to make.

>
Yup, dumb call but an appalling inevitability about it.
 coinneach 18 Oct 2015
In reply to Postmanpat:

Arguably the best NH performance of the quarters.

At least we might have a decent six nations to look forward to.

Before the tournament I'd have taken qualification for the quarters and giving Australia a fright.

Better than Stuart Lancaster's Sunday match ( Tynedale U15's v Penrith U 15's )
 Yanis Nayu 18 Oct 2015
In reply to Horse:

How can a wet, oval-shaped ball possibly bouncing off a Scottish hand result in a 3 point penalty? Great game spoiled by either bizarre rules or a poor decision. Would have loved to have seen Scotland get through.

The All Blacks were awesome against the French.
 teflonpete 18 Oct 2015
In reply to coinneach:

> Arguably the best NH performance of the quarters.

Without a doubt.

5 Live commentators disgusted by Joubert sprinting off the field at full time.

Looking forward to seeing your lot on the front foot in February, even if it means possibly taking a spanking from you.
Donald82 18 Oct 2015
In reply to Horse:

> Mind you if you can't sort out and catch a standard line out life is always to be tough.

One of they standard last-minute-two-points-up-in-the-biggest-game-of-your-life line outs? Aye, if cannae catch them you're gash

Horse 18 Oct 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

If it goes forward off a Scot and is played by a Scot, deliberate offside, penalty. Off an Aussie accidental offside, scrum. Joubert called the former. Looked a hasty and wrong call, but he seemed in no doubt. Not sure he can go to the TMO to check, no try and no foul play.
In reply to Horse:
Interesting question. No-one has mentioned it, but if he can't go upstairs it would account for a lot. He was looking at big screen - he must have known from that it was close. Terrible feeling for him if he knew from that he'd maybe got it wrong but couldn't do anything.

The Maitland call was worse, though - not that I'm any expert, but it looked like an effort to catch the ball to me.

jcm
Post edited at 19:39
In reply to Horse:

>deliberate offside, penalty. Off an Aussie accidental offside, scrum.

Strange terms, what the player does is no more deliberate or accidental in either case.

It's a shame they don't have a referee in the studio, because Hastings was saying on Radio 5Live that if it comes off an Australian it's no offence at all, whereas on ITV they were saying like you that that's a scrum. Can't both be right.

jcm
In reply to Horse:

>http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/oct/18/greig-laidlaw-tmo-penalty-aust...

Guardian seem to think he couldn't ask the TMO.

To be fair, it certainly looked like a penalty live, to me at least.

jcm
 Horse 18 Oct 2015
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

I think the correct term is "intentional" rather than deliberate, those are the terms used in the Laws and have particular meaning.

The 2nd Scot (or third including the beardy one) was offside so there there must have been an offence. The issue is did that warrant a penalty or scrum? The studio guys thought as it came off an Australian it was accidental. Joubert had a different view, maybe he thought it hadn't hit an Aussie in which case the Scot prevented possible advantage therefore penalty. Of course Joubert has to make the call in real time and his is the only one that matters.

Of course if Scotland had managed the line out better it wouldn't have mattered.
In reply to Horse:

If it came off an Aussie, wouldn't it come back for first infringement - ie Scottish knock-on?

Not really Joubert's fault, but he'd already sensitized the crowd with the yellow card. Scottish player had his hand round the side of the ball, not on top or behind, and was upright and clearly moving to go up the touchline. The TMO appeared to agree with Joubert, but I'm not aware of any situation in this WC where the TMO has publicly disagreed with the ref (are there any?); in other words, I think the TMO here might have had other ideas, but quite rightly, unity gets in the way. It's all down to how the question is phrased, and that's a minefield in itself.

Never mind, at least the NH refs will be getting plenty of bonus pay in the knockout stages.
In reply to Horse:

>I think the correct term is "intentional" rather than deliberate, those are the terms used in the Laws and have particular meaning.

Oh yes, I know it's a term of art. But it's a strange term of art.

It's breathtaking how badly almost all sports are administered. I was in the stadium in the 1999 quarter-final when virtually everyone in the stadium knew before the conversion was taken that van der Westhuizen's try shouldn't have counted. That made the game look stupid, so the powers that be took the sensible decision to introduce the TMO. And here we are sixteen years later, and the same situation - everyone can see the replay, everyone, including the referee, knows that the result of the game has probably been decisively influenced by a wrong decision even before the kick is taken, but because the administrators have prevented the referee from doing anything about it, there it is.

Having said that, I bet a decent referee - Nigel Owens, say - would have just asked the TMO anyway and hang the consequences.

jcm
 Horse 18 Oct 2015

> Having said that, I bet a decent referee - Nigel Owens, say - would have just asked the TMO anyway and hang the consequences.

Quite possibly, or got on his mobile to ask a friend

Or as already suggested just said "Too much going on so we'll take the first offence knock on blue, scrum yellow".

balmybaldwin 18 Oct 2015

> >deliberate offside, penalty. Off an Aussie accidental offside, scrum.

> Strange terms, what the player does is no more deliberate or accidental in either case.

> It's a shame they don't have a referee in the studio, because Hastings was saying on Radio 5Live that if it comes off an Australian it's no offence at all, whereas on ITV they were saying like you that that's a scrum. Can't both be right.

> jcm

In itself catching it off an ausie isnt an offence, at which point you go back to the knock-on. scrum gold ball.

I haven't seen it yet but was listening. Surprised no one has mentioned the sprint to the tunnel by Joubert... The radio commentators Hastings Dawson and Moore iirc were apoplectic. One comment was he should be sent home and never ref an international again.
In reply to balmybaldwin:

>In itself catching it off an ausie isnt an offence, at which point you go back to the knock-on. scrum gold ball.

Oh, I see, thanks. I'd assumed a knockon doesn't count if the ball doesn't go to the floor. Wrongly, presumably.

jcm
 Mike Conlon 19 Oct 2015
In reply to gribble:
Why are the All Blacks so "good" ?
* Opposition very effectively driving a maul to the try line.
* AB Captain comes round offside.
* AB Captain pulls maul down.
*AB Captain holds onto ball preventing opposition from taking quick penalty.
* Opposition player reacts in silly if restrained manner.
* Opposition player is sin binned - game over.
*AB Captain escapes sanction. ? ? ? ?
 Robin Woodward 19 Oct 2015
In reply to Mike Conlon:

I'd have settled for either Richie McCaw getting punched in the face properly, or Richie McCaw going to the bin, but a lack of either was a disappointment.
 Simon4 19 Oct 2015
In reply to andymac:

> Unlucky fellow Jocks.

> Proud of your performance.

> Impressed with Brian Moore's BBC comment ;

> "Brave ,Brave Scotland.Commiserations."

Yes, this was a wonderful opportunity for us English - to pretend to be all sympathetic and good sportsmen, admiring a brave, skillful team, rising above narrow parochialism and saluting a noble effort (you'd never get the ABE Scots doing this, see how much better we are than them at the sporting spirit, even if we are rubbish at playing the games) - while giggling hysterically behind our hands and hoping they won't notice the suppressed splutter.

Of course we can't be too open about our schadenfreude because :

1) that would reveal that our fake commiserations are just that, deeply insincere and only for the camera, or possibly the pub
2) Jocks, Taffs and various other Celts have MUCH more gloating ammunition from this RWC than we do, if it comes to a full-on sour grapes contest

So indeed, Bravo Brave Scotland.
Pan Ron 19 Oct 2015
In reply to Mike Conlon:

Obviously that's why the NH have got no further than the QF. Its all down to a grand injustice, and specifically, Richie McCaw. Or at least that's what the general public perceive about Richie McCaw, as opposed to their whiter-than-white players, from the local press.

Really, broken records and all.
 Horse 19 Oct 2015
In reply to Mike Conlon:

So McCaw does what all self respecting No. 7's would do, indulge in a bit of the dark arts. He gets penalised for it, French No 8 shoved fist in McCaws face and the penalty is reversed. Dull by Picamoles. I think you might need to come up with something better to explain the dominance of New Zealand and the Southerners generally.

peppermill 19 Oct 2015
In reply to Horse:

Yes, he cheats like mad but is so good the ref hardly ever sees it- as is the case with any back row forward worth their salt.
 Mike Conlon 19 Oct 2015
In reply to peppermill: My observation simply refered to one aspect of their gamesmanship which contributes to what they achieve, much else of how they play is awesome. One of the greatest (pleasant)suprises to me of this RWC was when Barnes binned McCaw for his cynical trip/ flick of the ball. Such is his influence that his understudy did almost an identical thing in the next game and got away without 10 minutes ! Dull as Picamoles was, and admirable how Owens kept it in perspective, it should not have ruled out McCaw receiving a suitable sanction for his repeated infringing which precipitated the incident ! I have played the game for many years and respect and admire top open-sides who almost by definition have to push the boundaries.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...