UKC

Recommend me a dehumidifier

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denni 17 Oct 2015
Hi folks,
as per title please.

Want to buy a couple to use in a couple of small bedrooms that tend to have a fair bit of condensation in the mornings.

Thanks, Den
In reply to Denni:
When you say a couple presumably your meaning that your looking for the small (cheap) ones? Depending on what the problem actually is, you could well be just wasting money on these ones as they mainly limited in their extraction rate/amount and meant for very small rooms/cupboards.

Do you know why you have condensation? Single glazing, lack of heating, lack of insulation, lack of ventilation, lack of extractor fans, etc? Also how much water are you needing to extract? All this will dictate what size of machine if one is needed. No point in a dehumidifier if the cause of the condensation should be address by other "solutions".

Anyway, I've used ebac machines http://www.ebac.com for over twenty years (well only actually two machines in that time with the current one, a 2650e, still going strong after eight years). Not cheap to buy, but effective and long lasting. I did experiment with cheapie small ones a couple of times and they failed to have any real effect.

Originally bought one as the then house was a bit damp overall and it ran permanently on for 6 years. Thereafter with subsequent houses I only use it for removing the excess water generated by washing and drying clothes and occasionally to lower the humidity level in the whole house (this year with the summer we've had the overall humidity is higher than it would normally be and the dehumidifier means I can run the heating lower and still keep the house drier).
 SenzuBean 17 Oct 2015
In reply to Denni:

I am a big fan of Mitsubishi’s offerings from the last few years. Quite expensive, but very quiet and functional. Cheap units tend to rattle and often don’t get turned on when people are in the room. Lastly the litres per day measurement is useless by itself (actualy efficiency depends heavily on temperature), don’t base your decision on that alone.
OP Denni 17 Oct 2015
In reply to SenzuBean:

Cheers for the replies folks, appreciate it.
As far as the condensation goes, no idea. Well ventilated, roof above well insulated, double glazing and heating on a medium setting to keep the room temp ambient (about 18-19 degrees).

It is a military house we live in and due for the walls to be re-insulated next year so maybe that is the problem. Anyway the rooms are both the same size. Big enough for bunk beds, a double book shelf, both have a built in double wardrobe, a chest of drawers leaving about a pool table sized space in the middle. one long window each about 6ft long by about 3 ft high and now its coming back to the colder damp season, the windows have condensation each morning and sometimes the rooms smell slightly damp although I've checked all that and no damp anywhere.

May measure it up and have a scan around the net but thanks for he recommendations :0)
 marsbar 17 Oct 2015
In reply to Denni:

Mine is ebac still works after 15 years. Have a look on ebay. Maybe you only need one and swap it between the 2 rooms? Once a room is dry its usually ok unless you have a serious problem.
 gethin_allen 17 Oct 2015
In reply to Denni:

I have no idea about the red tape involved in doing anything or getting anything done to an army owned home but, would a heat recovery ventilation system be a better solution than dehumidifiers?
 Andypeak 17 Oct 2015
In reply to Denni:

I got a Delonghi one which I was very impressed with. Previously had a B and Q own brand that was shockingly bad. Just made a lot of noise and that was about it.
 Dax H 18 Oct 2015
In reply to Denni:

Before you start buying expensive electrical items get to Halford. For about £10 they do a plastic box with a dessicant media inside it designed to keep caravans dry.
It might not be enough for a full room but it works great in my van.
Working outside and jumping in and out in wet clothes = a lot of humidity in there and in winter the inside of the screen freezes but since getting one I don't even get mist on the inside let alone ice.
In reply to Denni:

We're renovating a house in the Peak and picked up a cheap dehumidifier (150quid) from BandQ to dry the place out after top to bottom replastering. Worked really well, and is still working OK after 12 months in one of the bathrooms which doesn't have an extractor fitted yet. It takes out about 16l moisture per day.

http://www.diy.com/departments/blyss-16l-dehumidifier/109255_BQ.prd

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...