UKC

keep loosing toenails..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 17 Oct 2015

Regardless which shoes or socks I wear if i run far enough or hard enough ill usually traumatise a toenail which then falls off (I always keep then clean and well trimmed). Is this fairly common? I'm not particularly bothered more curious, just wish they'd stop growing back!
Post edited at 21:15
In reply to Pesda potato:

Put some climbing tape or a plaster over your toenail when you go for a run, works a treat for me.
 Wsdconst 18 Oct 2015
In reply to MikeYouCanClimb:

Agreed,I tape my toes for running long distance and even for a long days hike,it works really well.
cb294 18 Oct 2015

Same here. I will have to discard the hiking boots I have been using for years and step up half a size. Reason is that while one shrinks with age, the feet will extend as the arches slowly collapse. This is exacerbated by running or hiking with a heavy pack. In both cases shoes may fit well in the morning when the feet have recovered. Taping up will protect the nails, but won't solve the underlying problem. Insoles stabilizing the foot arches helped me a lot in my climbing boots, but unfortunately are not compatible with my favourite hiking boots.

CB
OP The Potato 18 Oct 2015

Thanks I'll try these suggestions
 Dave the Rave 18 Oct 2015
I've got a spare one you can have. It's a big toe, roughly 1.5 cm square. You could cut it to shape and glue it on?
 digby 18 Oct 2015

They may be coming loose, but you are losing them.
 planetmarshall 18 Oct 2015

Leprosy?
In reply to digby:

well spotted, im usually the first to point out spelling or grammar mistakes, in this instance it was a simple overzealous pressing of the phone keypad
In reply to planetmarshall:
i realise this is meant to be humour however leprosy is caused by a little organism called Mycobacterium Leprae and is not specific to unfortunate runners.

so there
Post edited at 20:33
 StefanB 19 Oct 2015

This happened to me only when I wore shoes that didn't fit. Are you wearing shoes that are too short or very wide (so that you slide around in them and bang your toes)?
 digby 19 Oct 2015

> well spotted, im usually the first to point out spelling or grammar mistakes, in this instance it was a simple overzealous pressing of the phone keypad

It's the ones who actually think this is the correct spelling that we must punish! After reading numerous UKC posts with awful solecisms I find I'm beginning to make the same mistakes. It's worrying. Not loosing though. That's just beyond the pale. How can anyone think that's right?!
OP The Potato 19 Oct 2015
In reply to StefanB:

well thats a hard one, one foot is slightly wider and shorter than the other, also for longer distances shoes are generally wider in the toe box and a slightly looser fit to accommodate foot swelling,
So yes as close as is possible they are the right size, Ive tried and do indeed own many shoes but the problem isnt unique to just one pair hence the ask.
 hamsforlegs 20 Oct 2015

Think it's pretty normal for your dominant foot to be shorter and wider as it tends to have a stronger arch.

My arches have got higher over the years due to consistent strength work etc, so foot shapes do change.

I always found the key was to buy something with a very roomy toe box but good lacing that goes down low on the foot. If you can really tighten the shoe very firmly across the top of your foot, it will stop your toes from sliding forward and hitting the front. A wide/roomy toebox will allow you to combine that security with room for your foot to spread out and do its work when striking the ground.

I've never had toenails come off, but have had bruised nails in narrower shoes or when running in the wet without stopping to get the additional slack out of my laces.
 daWalt 20 Oct 2015
In reply to hamsforlegs:

> ...... stopping to get the additional slack out of my laces.

That right there; always, at least once, especially if it's long distance over steep / uneven ground.....
(I can faff like a good-un with laces; but I'v deaded toenails before from not doing it)
OP The Potato 20 Oct 2015
In reply to daWalt:

sounds like a plan, thanks for all the advice ukcers
 wbo 20 Oct 2015
In reply to Pesda potato: I've mostly lost nails when I'm really tired, sore feet and my style breaks down. I then start to lift my toes and they bump against the top of the shoe

vscott 20 Oct 2015

Common problem - in addition to the above good advice shoe shape is worth investigation in my experience... a lot of running shoes are a bit too pointy so esp third toenail can be nudged with every step as you lift off which over multiple hours equals a bad bruising. Shoes for ultras etc. seem to be taking this on board by having wider forefoots and less of meeting to a point.
Also, find it useful on long (all day) runs to be a bit more cautious/gentle on downhills as this is where toenails take the most punishment ... can prove faster overall. Lacelock systems (Salomon quicklace is superb) as opposed to conventional laces also seem to give less through a day and are much quicker to re-tighten on the hoof to keep feet anchored into the heel of the shoe.
MikeSimouns 22 Oct 2015

It happen to me once and what I did is wrap my toe with tape and it works for me.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...