UKC

Novice pointers: gear, Peak abseil locations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Oo 18 Oct 2015
I've a few friends who are somewhere on the spectrum of 'persuadable to get outdoors' to 'really keen'. Couple of questions:

a) good harnesses to get as spares? Looking to get 2. I've done a load of instructing with the DMM Brenin which I think is great for its range of size and super simplicity but would prefer something with more gear loops though for seconds.

b) anyone ever had any trouble ab'ing off Millers Dale Bridge as a group of 2 or 3? I've done it as an organised thing, and searched google/here/national park website but can find no info on the supposed required license.

c) good places in the Peak (or near Derby) to abseil off? Thinking it's a good wet weather plan, intro to rope work, low effort day out. Would rather stay off crags, or at least be out of the way. Impressive spots, height, etc gain double points.

Cheers,
Oo
In reply to Oo:

For Miller's Dale you are supposed to have a licence issued by the PDNP.

You can only get an annual one though.

Contact Aldern House in Bakewell.
 andrewmc 19 Oct 2015
In reply to Oo:

> I've a few friends who are somewhere on the spectrum of 'persuadable to get outdoors' to 'really keen'. Couple of questions:

> a) good harnesses to get as spares? Looking to get 2. I've done a load of instructing with the DMM Brenin which I think is great for its range of size and super simplicity but would prefer something with more gear loops though for seconds.

You can buy extra gear loops for the Centre Alpine/Brenin (at least I assume they also fit the Brenin). I reckon 2 would do for seconding (the original plus an extra one). Or just use a shoulder sling, of course...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...