UKC

Trangia- can't take him anywhere.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Greasy Prusiks 19 Oct 2015
Well can you? Is a public foot path Ok? How about a common or open access land? And what about areas with specific "no open fires" signs is he Ok with those?

Apologies to Trangia of this parish for the slightly facetious title and for the hard of hearing I'm asking where I can legally use a Trangia.

Cheers,
Greasy
 Roadrunner5 25 Oct 2015
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

I don't think a stove is an open fire.
madmonky 25 Oct 2015

I would have said you could use a trangia anywhere and as an avid hiker, rider and scout leader I often do everywhere from car parks to beaches, footpaths and random woodland.
Wiley Coyote2 25 Oct 2015

Interesting question. Probably not on a public footpath because the right of way is just that, the right to pass and re-pass but not to stop so unless you enjoy the idea of carrying a burning Trangia as you wander along, probably not there. Common land is probably at the discretion of the owner but that's just a guess. Access land ditto, you have a right of access whether that includes a right to stop and brew up I don't know.
madmonky 26 Oct 2015

As much as if you find a clearing along side a footpath that technically the fact it is just a right of passage shouldn't stop you from having lunch there. As long as you are considerate and don't leave a trace or litter etc I don't see why anyone would ever have an issue with it. It's a bit like camping on dartmoor. Although technically not allowed even the rangers will allow it if they see that you know what you are doing and take care of the area.
 Trangia 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Wiley Coyote:

> Probably not on a public footpath because the right of way is just that, the right to pass and re-pass but not to stop

That's a myth often trotted out by landowners.

You may stop on a public footpath to take a photograph, have a rest by sitting down, admire the view and even have a picnic (which I would interpret to include lighting a Trangia) so long as you do not obstruct the right of way.

You may also pick wild berries (eg blackberries) from the footpath or pick mushrooms on the footpath for your own consumption so long as you do not gather them for the purpose of resale.

I am not certain how the law relates to such activities on access land, but so far as I know there is no specific prohibition.

I suppose it all boils (no pun intended) down to the practicalities involved.

Basically what can a landowner do if they catch you having a brew up on a public footpath or access land? They can ask you to stop. If you don't, realistically what can or would they do? They have to prove that you are committing an offence and even then can you imagine the police reacting to a call from a farmer saying "Someone is making a brew on my land - come and remove them!"

Mark Kemball 26 Oct 2015
In reply to madmonky:

> ... It's a bit like camping on dartmoor. Although technically not allowed...

Actually, wild camping on Dartmoor is allowed as long as you're at least 400m from the road.
Wiley Coyote2 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Trangia:

I thought Greasey was asking a strictly legal question, probably out of boredom in one of those 'I wonder if....' moments you sometimes get while sitting at traffic lights or in the bath , though probably not while doing both at once.

But in practical 'so what are they going to do about it, then?' terms you're almost certainly correct. Presumably it's some sort of trespass and that's not a crime but a tort. The landowner would have to identify you, take you to court and prove you had caused them some sort of loss and then seek damages. We've all stepped off footpaths for a pic, a butty or a blow. Only some sort of obsessed nutter could be bothered to go thro with that over someone brewing up . Then again, there are a few obsessed nutters about.......
 climbwhenready 26 Oct 2015

> We've all stepped off footpaths for a pic, a butty or a blow.

Or a what?
Removed User 26 Oct 2015

Trespass becomes criminal if you refuse to leave when the landowner or someone appointed by the landowner requests you to leave. They can call the police without speaking to you and ask the police to remove you and even then it's only criminal trespass if you don't follow their instructions.

Doesn't apply to some places though, docks in particular since they fall under maritime law iirc.
In reply to climbwhenready:

> Or a what?

Compression of expression. One word to cover several activities. Take your pick according to preference or opportunity
In reply to Removed User:

> Trespass becomes criminal if you refuse to leave when the landowner or someone appointed by the landowner requests you to leave

Do they have to prove to you that they are owner and so have the right to move you on (eg bring along the deeds and proof they are that person)?

After all could just be some red-faced nutter bellowing at you?

Removed User 26 Oct 2015

You could ask them to confirm that they are the owner and if they said yes, you left, and they weren't, you got screwed over. If they were telling the truth you saved yourself getting in trouble.

If they said they were the owner and weren't and you refused to leave, your argument would be that they had no legal right to move you on and you could probably take legal action of your own for misrepresentation. If they said they were the owner and they were and you refused to leave you'll get in trouble.

On the plus side at least we don't have the same trespass laws they have in the US.

radddogg 27 Oct 2015

I often cook with my trangia on the parcel shelf of my car
 richprideaux 27 Oct 2015
In reply to Trangia:

> You may also pick wild berries (eg blackberries) from the footpath or pick mushrooms on the footpath for your own consumption so long as you do not gather them for the purpose of resale.

> I am not certain how the law relates to such activities on access land, but so far as I know there is no specific prohibition.

There is a prohibition on CROW Act land. On a public right of way you can collect fruit, flora, fungi and foliage as long as you do not uproot the plant, use it for resale and the item you pick is not being cultivated. This right does not translate to CROW land, only to the rights of way that cross it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...