UKC

Sockless climbing and it's effect on friendliness of a wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trangia 20 Oct 2015
I recently began to get back in to climbing after a few years off. I have been climbing more and more frequently over the past few weeks and took out membership of a cracking new little wall in London.

I am really enjoying it and feel fairly technically competent, just lacking in power. I wander around the various bouldering/training rooms and zip up and down problems that are well set and regularly changed.

However, recently I've noticed something. The wall feels very friendly for the most part however there are one or two guys who arrive, whip off their socks and then shout at one another across the rooms about how they just did this or that. Obviously grade is included. Fortunately it doesn't affect me, however I noticed it seems to really scare of the beginners and those who are less confident. I often find myself as one of the only ones climbing near these people while the other rooms are rammed.

It saddens me. Most of us try to encourage people who look like they're intimidated. But these guys do the opposite. The irony is that they are by no means out of the ordinary for regular climbers. But they do seem to damage the experience for many. I have been tempted to bring thing to the management's attention but don't want to rock the boat. I wonder if a 'socks on' rule would help!
 Dandan 20 Oct 2015
In reply to Trangia:

Cheesy holds - bleugh.
 MonkeyPuzzle 20 Oct 2015
In reply to Trangia:

My socks are f*cking disgusting and are best left as far from people as possible.. The only reason even I can stand them is because they're a whole body-length from my nose.
 d_b 20 Oct 2015
In reply to Trangia:

I just retired a pair of climbing shoes due to sockless climbing. They got to the stage where I could have them in the boot of my car and still be able to smell them when I was driving.

Just say no kids!
 Andy Morley 20 Oct 2015
In reply to Trangia:

Even worse is sexless climbing, according to one of my climbing partners. Where I and some others might hold our noses at the approach of certain people, she particularly relishes the heavy dose of feremones emanating from both climbers and body-builders as they cross the floor, particularly the more ripped ones.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...