UKC

Technology to save us ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lone 20 Oct 2015
The other day I read that crime is up twice as much as initially thought, it's twice as high when you add cyber crime into the stats (and the cyber world is very much in it's infancy when you think of how long computers have been around compared to mankind), so we are in a technology revolution which is moving probably faster than any other revolution in human history, I'd hazard a guess that we will end up relying on technology to police our streets and destroy the under-world of fraud, drugs and all other serious crimes.

Computers, when built to a good standard and programmed properly will do the work of hundreds of people, so one terminator dude can patrol the streets 24/7 and communicate through various networks to other terminator dudes and devices (drones), thus keeping crime at bay - or am I just dreaming ?

Are we one day heading for a terminator style world where our every step is monitored by drones or are we doomed by crime taking over our lives completely ? There surely has to be a point where enough is enough and this strategy is thought of ? Crime seems to be escalating, and we have less police on the streets, when does it break the camels back ?

I was thinking of the computer game Half-life, life depicted there was under extreme monitoring by drones and police etc.

J
 d_b 20 Oct 2015
In reply to lone:

Judging by current technology the robot enforcers would get all get stuck on kerbs and in doorways, then flail around randomly until they were rescued.
 Ridge 20 Oct 2015
In reply to lone:

> computers, when built to a good standard and programmed properly

You've never worked on an IT system installed by Atos, have you? That's who would get the Termintor contract.
 broken spectre 20 Oct 2015
In reply to lone:

Here's a story about a robot that ate it's masters hair.

True story...

http://news.sky.com/story/1424239/robot-vacuum-eats-sleeping-womans-hair
KevinD 20 Oct 2015
In reply to Ridge:

> You've never worked on an IT system installed by Atos, have you? That's who would get the Termintor contract.

Bet you crime would drop dramatically though. I mean would you dare go out on the streets when a Atos/Crapita/EDS terminator is patrolling with weapons ready?
 d_b 20 Oct 2015
In reply to KevinD:

Something like an EDS-209 ?
KevinD 20 Oct 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

> Something like an EDS-209 ?

Without the self control and accuracy.
 dread-i 20 Oct 2015
In reply to lone:

I, for one, welcome our new drone overlords.

I shall build one of these:
http://makezine.com/2015/10/16/research-company-takes-aim-uavs-portable-ant...

When they fall out of the sky, I'll sell them on ebay. After I've made a claim for damages, trauma and whiplash, caused by the falling drone. Because, lets face it, the drones will have public liability insurance, and they will be maintained by the lowest cost bidder.
OP lone 20 Oct 2015
In reply to Ridge:

No I haven't, but I have heard about Atos - So already grass roots are about ?
 Sharp 21 Oct 2015
In reply to lone:

From an article in the telegraph: total crime recorded in england and wales in 2003/4 was just under 6 million incidents, this year it's under 4 million. It's possible that crime has seen a small increase in the last year but it's also possible the police have changed the way they're reporting crime, i.e. reporting things they used to fiddle. Homicides at it's lowest level since 1977 and statistics based on interviews with the public suggesting a 7% fall in crime. Meanwhile we remain one of the safest and law abiding countries in the world, I think we're a little way off the terminator!
 ByEek 21 Oct 2015
In reply to lone:

> The other day I read that crime is up twice as much as initially thought, it's twice as high when you add cyber crime into the stats

We are talking cyber crime here and not crime in general I take? One thing worth noting is that cyber crime isn't generally a result of hacking into someone's computer. Most likely it is about cold calling people and passing yourself off as a bank. In other words it is a simple deception with technology as the means.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...