UKC

Recommend a route

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Whitters 20 Oct 2015
Hi all

Am due to head up to the Lakes next week and am planning on a rare climbing trip with my missus.

Can anyone recommend a good multi pitch route (up to vs)? Ideally something which feels adventurous and would give a good day out (presuming the weather holds).

Thanks!!
 AlanLittle 21 Oct 2015
In reply to The Ivanator:

Agree with both of these. Tophet Wall is fantastic, goes up some of the most improbable-looking-for-the-grade ground I've ever seen.

Engineer's Slabs is also great but unlikely to be much fun at this time of year, being high up and north facing.
 Rog Wilko 21 Oct 2015
In reply to Whitters:

Gimmer is a good bet as long as it's not a strong west wind - it dries quickly. It's been dry until today, so if no more rain should be OK. Bracket and Slab is good and quite challenging for the grade. It's quite sheltered from wind with north and east in it.
 Jon Stewart 21 Oct 2015
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> Gimmer is a good bet

Agree. Most likely to be dry, and not too high up, good choice of routes (NW Arete/F Route being a great combo at stiff VS). I reckon Eliminate A would be baltic, but Tophet could be good on a nice day (although it's high up).
 Mike-W-99 21 Oct 2015
In reply to Jon Stewart:

The coldest I've been all year was on Tophet at the end of May! Must have added a grade or two on as I couldn't feel my fingers for the whole route.
 Tom Valentine 21 Oct 2015
In reply to Whitters:

Eagle Front.
Massive adventure route but a bit high up unless you're blessed with fine weather.
 Trangia 21 Oct 2015
In reply to Whitters:

Bowfell Buttress

Bowfell Buttress (HS 4b)

A classic mountain route
 Jon Stewart 21 Oct 2015
In reply to Tom Valentine:

I will award a medal* to anyone climbing Eagle Front in the next two weeks.

*Chocolate coin and string
Removed User 21 Oct 2015
In reply to Whitters:

Just climbed Troutdale Pinnacle, Black Crag, Borrowdale for the first time since the early 70's and I had forgotten just what a super route it is especially if you do the slanting crack line on the first pitch, belonging to Raindrop. If the weather is not good high up, then this route, despite the crowds, is well worthwhile.
 pjcollinson 21 Oct 2015
In reply to Whitters:

I'd agree with Gimmer as being a good bet. Great routes, some already mentioned. the Crack at VS is a fantastic line. Also its not too much of a walk in but still has a mountain feel. If the weather is less than perfect, Raven is lower and close to the ODG. Plenty of other good crags in Langdale too: Pavey Ark - although the recent change in the weather probably goes against it, White Gyll, Bow Fell, Black Crag - all quite high and weather dependent I would say.

Enjoy!
 Tom Valentine 22 Oct 2015
In reply to Jon Stewart:

OP said he wanted an adventure
OP Whitters 22 Oct 2015
Thanks everyone. Will have a look at the weather and see how it goes.

I'll hold you to the medal thing...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...