UKC

Any gas boiler experts around?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Coel Hellier 22 Oct 2015
I have a wireless thermostat (a Salus RT500RF I think) which controls my boiler. I suspect that I'm getting interference from a neighbour with the same device (the boiler comes on when my thermostat doesn't command it).

According to the Salus website this is a known issue, and the solution is to change jumper settings on both the thermostat and the receiver which is wired into the boiler. (My unit is still on factory default jumper settings, so it is plausible that so is a neighbour's.)

I could follow the instructions to change the jumpers easily enough, but my problem is that I cannot find my receiver unit! There must be one surely? It should be near to (and wired into) the boiler, but there is no sign of it! Could it have been installed inside the boiler (a GlowWorm flexicom 30cx)? Can anyone advise?
 krikoman 22 Oct 2015
In reply to Coel Hellier:

Yes it could have but depends on who installed it anything can happen.

If you trace the wired coming out of the boiler is should give you a clue, there should be power and then a control cable.

Are you sure it's not fitted above the boiler, this seems a popular place to fit them.
OP Coel Hellier 22 Oct 2015
In reply to krikoman:

> If you trace the wired coming out of the boiler is should give you a clue, there should be power and then a control cable.

I can only see one wire coming out of the boiler, which looks like a mains electricity cable, which then dives into the wall.

> Are you sure it's not fitted above the boiler, this seems a popular place to fit them.

Yep, I checked there. I've checked all around. I'm hoping to avoid having to call in a gas technician just to change some jumper settings, but I may have to resort to that.
 kristian Global Crag Moderator 22 Oct 2015

I have a Salus ERT20RF, same thing really. The receiver will be wired into the boiler but not in it. If your boiler is tucked away in a cupboard or garage then the receiver may have been positioned in a different location so it can communicate better with the stat. If possible just follow the wires from the boiler.
 wintertree 22 Oct 2015

Most receivers have a physical relay in them and go click when switching. So you could adjust the thermostat and listen... On and off quickly and a hysteresis setting should stop the boiler from firing up and obscuring the noise.
 krikoman 22 Oct 2015

> I can only see one wire coming out of the boiler, which looks like a mains electricity cable, which then dives into the wall.

Can you see the connection terminals? Google you boiler and get the manual for it if you haven't get one already, there'll be terminals for remote thermostat, follow those, they shouldn't be in with the mains cable, but stranger things have happened.
OP Coel Hellier 22 Oct 2015
In reply to krikoman:

Thanks for the help everyone, I'll have another look at things tonight, but at the moment I'm fairly baffled by the absence of the receiver.
 gethin_allen 22 Oct 2015

I have the same wireless thermostat, the receiver box is quite a large plastic box (6 X 5 X 1.5 inches) so I very much doubt it would be inside the boiler casing. Also, the boiler casing would make a nice Faraday cage around it which wouldn't be handy.
 Mountain Llama 22 Oct 2015

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://w...

the manual for your boiler is above. page 24 and 25 give details of the external control wiring. use this to identify the cables to your stat.

I would only do this if you are confident with 240 volts safe working.

marsbar 23 Oct 2015

It could be under the floor boards? If there is no visible wiring near your boiler your control wiring could be in your walls. It might be in the cupboard under your stairs near the old wall mounted thermostat. It might be in your airing cupboard near your hot water cylinder. Or where a hot water cylinder used to be. It may even be in the loft.

Have fun
OP Coel Hellier 26 Oct 2015
In reply to marsbar:

> ... Or where a hot water cylinder used to be. ...

It was! Mystery solved. Prompted by marsbar's post, I eventually found the missing receiver. The boiler is downstairs in the kitchen, but the receiver is upstairs hidden in a cupboard where the hot water cylinder used to be. Further, the electric cable seems to have been passed through an in-wall conduit between the two locations, so I couldn't see the wire either.

Problem now fixed; thanks all!
 marsbar 26 Oct 2015

Glad you found it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...