UKC

Big Rockfall in Evolene

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 psaunders 23 Oct 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSLVhNl4YxY

Not something I will want to think about the next time I'm in the alps. Oh putain indeed!
Post edited at 20:59
 sbc_10 24 Oct 2015
In reply to psaunders:

Another view....

youtube.com/watch?v=cv6bpxUkq2Y&

Quite a large (!) block does some clearfelling and nearly makes it to the road......yikes...
There is something moving (quickly!! ) in the pasture below....seen at 00:50.....
 veteye 24 Oct 2015
In reply to psaunders:

I suppose that it must have just been chance to be so close and yet safe to video the rock detachment.
Worrying to see.
OP psaunders 24 Oct 2015
In reply to sbc_10:

Wow, if I owned one of those chalets I might be thinking of selling up!
 Simon4 24 Oct 2015
In reply to psaunders:

What I take to be another view of the same rockfall, from a different and much closer angle :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/environment/geology/11949715/Watch-th...
In reply to Simon4:

Yikes, thats a fair old chunk of stone and it looks like there is more to come.

Re: the photographer. Right place right time to be as close as safely possible and watch the whole thing come apart.

Rick Graham 24 Oct 2015
In reply to psaunders:

> Wow, if I owned one of those chalets I might be thinking of selling up!

If you look at the tree cover on the hillside, it is fairly obvious where avalanches typically track.

The locals are usually savvy enough to only allow building on safer locations.
 Simon4 24 Oct 2015
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:
I was once on (I think), the Mallory route on the North face of the Midi, stopping to eat on a little shoulder, just proud of the. There was a monstrous roar and a huge mass of rock and ice broke away, just to the side of the shoulder, no more than 20' away from us.

Good thing hut dinners tend to be rather "binding", as neither of us had any spare underwear with us on the route.
Post edited at 12:19
 Simon4 24 Oct 2015
In reply to Rick Graham:

> The locals are usually savvy enough to only allow building on safer locations.

"Do you feel lucky punk?"
Gone for good 24 Oct 2015
In reply to Simon4:

Never mind the rockfall, did you see the Hare run through the avalanche on the next video down the page. Incredible survival skills! !!
 Bulls Crack 24 Oct 2015
In reply to veteye:

Below!
 jon 24 Oct 2015
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Everyone named Pierre in Evolene stuck their heads out of their windows to see what the fuss was about...
 AndyC 24 Oct 2015
In reply to veteye:

> I suppose that it must have just been chance to be so close and yet safe to video the rock detachment.

Looks like it might have been planned - chalets were already evacuated and a bunch of geologists were in the area. More than a coincidence!

pneame 24 Oct 2015
In reply to psaunders:

Wow.
I got this deju vu feeling of a trundling session below Craig Arthur a long time ago. Of course our errant rock was a bit smaller, but it sill went a lot further than intended and rather upset a farmer's dog that was (a) tied up and (b) in the firing line. As was the farm.

The farmer wasn't too pleased either
He may have yelled some rude things at us

Luckily, the rock stopped.

We still scarpered over the hill at some speed.
 Billhook 24 Oct 2015
In reply to Gone for good:

Wrongly described as a Rabbit on the video but I wonder where the Hare did his avalanche survival training from?
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 24 Oct 2015
In reply to pneame:

> I got this deju vu feeling of a trundling session below Craig Arthur a long time ago. Of course our errant rock was a bit smaller, but it sill went a lot further than intended and rather upset a farmer's dog that was (a) tied up and (b) in the firing line. As was the farm.

> The farmer wasn't too pleased either

> He may have yelled some rude things at us

> Luckily, the rock stopped.

> We still scarpered over the hill at some speed.

Ha - I had exactly the same scenario at Craig Arthur - a big flake came loose and headed down the hill like a huge cartwheel - bounding straight for the farm. The sheep scattered and the flake eventually stopped and the farmer came out and bellowed at us. We legged it pronto and split up as we approached the car park 'just in case'!

Chris
 pneame 24 Oct 2015
In reply to Chris Craggs:

At least you had the excuse that it was an accident - ours was sort of deliberate. A smaller trundle hit a boulder the size of a sheep....

That farmer's life must have been hell.
We had this vision of him charging up the hill on a trailbike with a shotgun strapped to his back. Shades of Mad Max (although this was before that came out)
 Toerag 26 Oct 2015
In reply to psaunders:

Were there any routes on the chunk that fell?
 ByEek 26 Oct 2015
In reply to sbc_10:

> Another view....

> Quite a large (!) block does some clearfelling and nearly makes it to the road......yikes...

> There is something moving (quickly!! ) in the pasture below....seen at 00:50.....

Wowzer! So that is how Fontainbleau was created!
 rka 26 Oct 2015
In reply to psaunders:

We trundled a large flake carefully dug out of hillside at Anglers crag. As it bounded down the steep hill side it startled 2 sheep. Unfortunately they choose wrong direction to run away and ended up 1 + 0.5 + 0.5 sheep.
J1234 27 Oct 2015
In reply to rka:

Fliiping eck, what did that cost you?
 Tam O'Bam 27 Oct 2015
In reply to psaunders:

Putain, Merde, Oh la Vache!

About 30 years ago, I was bouldering on Salisbury Crags in Edinburgh, just by the old quarry, working on a hand traverse problem.

A couple of stones came past me and I thought "Oh, must be some little b****rds kicking stones over from above".

So after shouting some abuse to the kids, I went around the corner to work on something else.

About three minutes later there was a sound like thunder and when I went to investigate, there was about 50 tons of rock where I had been minutes before.

Couldn't understand it; I had given the rock a good bash with the palm of my hand, and there wasn't any hollow sound that I could hear.....
 rka 28 Oct 2015
In reply to Reggie Perrin:

Cost us nowt we ran away as usual

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...