UKC

Chamonix and via ferrata

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Garston 23 Oct 2015
Hi everyone,

I'm planning a trip to Chamonix next summer to do a mix of single pitch and multi pitch trad and also to drive around the area ie Switzerland for via ferrata.
This is with a friend for my 40th birthday and half the fun is the road trip! My question if you have a minute is what is the best month to go weather wise and any tips or advice. Also what is the best trad book that I can buy for the area?
Thanks in advance
Chris

Ps this is just an idea at the moment so extremely open to change!
 solomonkey 25 Oct 2015
In reply to Garston:

I highly recommend the jegihorn via ferrata , highest one in Europe(I think ) amazing views , brilliant summit experience , best of all you can stay right by the cable car approach in town at zurbriggen sport( saas grund) Nice place, really Nice hosts who are mountain guides - so lots of info on the area . There is loads of Climbing near by too in the Valleys but the jegihorn has got 16 pitch fully bolted sports routes up its main face as well as the VF - we did Alpendurst f4//5 - really good route at the grade
 JohnnyW 25 Oct 2015
In reply to Garston:

Agree with Solomonkey. There is also another cracker just through the MB tunnel in the Aosta valley, which takes you up Mont Emelius. Not as technical as the Jegihorn, but a good mountain route to a summit too. Get googling.....
OP Garston 25 Oct 2015
In reply to Garston:

Thank you very much for replies, I will google and report back!
Any ideas as to beat time of year?
Thanks
Chris
 JohnnyW 25 Oct 2015
In reply to Garston:

It gets busy for most of August, so I tend to go out in July. I don't like it too quiet, and you need to make sure it's late enough for the snow to clear off the higher routes if you don't want to lug winter kit.
 Andy Fielding 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Garston:

I bought the following guide when I was in France this summer.

http://www.amazon.fr/VIA-FERRATA-FRANCAISES-BERNARD-RANC/dp/2741705038

It has 156 different VF routes in it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...