UKC

harness opinions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John Mcshea 25 Oct 2015
Hello climbing peoples,
I need to replace my harness, its a lovely Arcteryx which has served me well for the last twelve years or so......
Now the new Arcteryx harnesses are quite pricey, actually around twice the price of some nice looking Mammut ones. Is there any justification for paying that much? I'm sure that the word quality would sound in an answer, but surely there is no discernible difference in quality with a Mammut harness, is there?
Thanks,
Jb.
 Sharp 25 Oct 2015
In reply to John Mcshea:

I got a Mammut "something" click harness, the ones with the click together leg and waist loops. It's pretty comfy but then i'm only comparing it to a single gear loop webbing harness which I'd used for 4 years or so and was pretty uncomfortable. Can't really fault the construction, the click together thing is great although I'd rather the buckles were all metal as I nearly wrote the harness off by slamming it in the car door once.

Arcteryx do get a lot of good reviews on their harnesses, I guess the best bet would be to sit in a couple and see which fits you best, depends how long you're going to be sat in it i suppose.
 alasdair19 25 Oct 2015
In reply to John Mcshea:

the modern arxteryx is made differently from all most all others rather than a strong straps then padding approach the "padding" is load bearing. tricky to explain bit obvious enough when you see one.

last time I bought one it was made in Canada which has pretty dramatic cost implications compared with gar eastern manufacture.

Go to a good shop and try some.
 TobyA 25 Oct 2015
In reply to alasdair19:

> the modern arxteryx is made differently from all most all others rather than a strong straps then padding approach the "padding" is load bearing. tricky to explain bit obvious enough when you see one.

Actually loads of other brands now use that approach too. Arcteryx were first, but its a good system so others have followed.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...