UKC

Kalymnos in Winter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GridNorth 25 Oct 2015
I'm thinking of returning to Kalymnos during winter. I've just returned from there but it was far too crowded for my tastes and I feel as is I have some unfinished business.

Are there any months when it is a bad idea to go? I'm thinking of an extended trip perhaps 2 or 3 months.

Al

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 25 Oct 2015
In reply to GridNorth:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=627111

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=625941

include my two most recent responses on this topic,

Chris
OP GridNorth 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Hi Chris

Do you have any contact details for apartments that may be available out of season? I may go in February for a couple of months so that if winter is a wash out I would at least have the Spring.

Al
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 26 Oct 2015
In reply to GridNorth:

From my experience, the best times to visit are November and March. I doubt a 'winter' visit would ever be a wash-out, the usual pattern is a couple of damp/cold days followed by 4 or 5 nice ones. The routes above Massouri can be a bit cool until late in the day but the crags round Arginonta and prime winter venues.

We have always stopped at Babis Bar in Myrties (close to where the Telendos boats leave) - that is partly a historical thing and partly because a) the area gets more sun than Massouri in the winter and b) the supermarket across the road (Stalas) stays open all winter. I guess that most places would let you book a long stay - it is a holiday town after all.

Hope this helps,

Chris

OP GridNorth 26 Oct 2015

Thanks. You can ignore my PM.

Al
In reply to GridNorth:

> I'm thinking of returning to Kalymnos during winter. I've just returned from there but it was far too crowded for my tastes and I feel as is I have some unfinished business.

We have actually stopped going in October because of the crowds - one of my spies told me that 150 folks caught the ferry to Irox a couple of days ago. We should be out there in a couple of weeks when 90% of them have gone home.

For somewhere different we have been at Orpierre for the past 10 days - never been before - guess what, it has been bloody rammed!

Chris
 climbingpixie 26 Oct 2015

I was out on Kalymnos in the first week of October and expected the crags to be rammed but bizarrely they weren't that bad at all. TBH I thought Ceuse six weeks earlier had been far worse for crowds (a sharp contrast to the Verdon the following week). On Kaly I think the only route I didn't manage to get near was D.N.A, which had people queueing to dog up it, but given that it was my last day of a week's climbing I suspect I'd have been one of the doggers anyway so probably better left for next time...
In reply to climbingpixie:

I think the last 2-3 weeks in October is the classic period for Kaly to be REALLY busy - you must have just missed it. Nice one!

Chris
 climbingpixie 26 Oct 2015

Yeah, think the climbing festival was the week after I was there so my trip was timed well. There were a hell of a lot of climbers waiting for the ferry as I was on my way back from the island. Made me feel much better about being on the way home
OP GridNorth 26 Oct 2015

It's become a victim of it's own success. I was there 3rd to 17th October and it was a case of climbing what you could get on rather than what you wanted to do. Some days were better than others but I don't think I'll be going in October again.

Al
 Gus 27 Oct 2015
In reply to GridNorth:

Early/ mid October this year on Kalymnos was by far the quietest I had seen it for years!!
OP GridNorth 27 Oct 2015
In reply to Gus:

You must have visited different crags to me. I was there 3rd to 17th October and most crags were very busy.

Al
 carl dawson 27 Oct 2015
In reply to GridNorth:

If you'd gone to Skalia Pillar, Galatiani, Ivory Tower, Rainbow Wall, Mystery etc you would have found yourself on your own all through this month. On the other hand, if you went to Secret Garden (55 vehicles one day), Arh (Kastor queues), Grande Grotta (DNA queues), Odyssey etc… you should have known better!
 keith sanders 28 Oct 2015
In reply to GridNorth:

Why not go to Calpe for the winter months Cheap flights cheap accommodation and cost of living,
We have been going for 4 years now and always around 20c up or down 3/4 degrees, no crowds plenty of new crags single and multi pitch, we will be there from around 5th Dec to 5th Feb.
Have fun where ever.

keith s
 planetmarshall 28 Oct 2015
> I think the last 2-3 weeks in October is the classic period for Kaly to be REALLY busy - you must have just missed it. Nice one!

We were told by a local businessman that Kaly was seeing on average about 1500 fewer British climbers per week this year due to negative press regarding migrants and economics. I was expecting the crags to be quite crowded but rarely found this to be the case ( I also never saw any queues on DNA - maybe climbingpixie was just unlucky?)
Post edited at 10:27
 jon 28 Oct 2015
In reply to planetmarshall:

> about 1500 fewer British climbers per week this year

1500 per WEEK?
 planetmarshall 28 Oct 2015
In reply to jon:

> 1500 per WEEK?

Merely repeating what I was told, I can't vouch for its accuracy. Certainly most of the restaurants and bars were practically empty the week I was there ( end Sept, 1st week of Oct ) - having never been there before I don't know how normal that is.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...