UKC

another request for monitor recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Glyno 25 Oct 2015

As the title says really, but I'd like to be as specific as possible with my request.
I intend to plug my Macbook Pro (retina) into a 'good quality' monitor around 26" for photo editing, watching films etc.
Other members of the family might also want to plug their devices in as well for various reasons but primarily it's for my use.
I don't want to buy something that's not wholly compatible - i.e. I've heard about graphics cards possibly not being as highly specced as required, etc, etc... lots of stuff that I don't really understand.
I've seen phrases like 'IPS' and 'Ultra HD' bandied about, are these things I need to consider?

If it's any help, my Macbook is:
8gb, 2.7Ghz intel core i5, Intel Iris Graphics 16100 1536 MB.

Budget? - £300 (ish) don't want to uneccessarily overspend, but would stretch a bit if needs be.

Any advise is greatly appreciated - 'likes' will be awarded generously

Cheers, Glyn

edit... wall-mountable would be an advantage
Post edited at 12:13
 ablackett 25 Oct 2015
In reply to Glyno:

"like"
 Luke90 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Glyno:

I don't have any specific recommendations but you shouldn't need to worry overly much about compatibility unless you buy a ludicrously high-resolution screen. I haven't looked into monitors for a while but I don't think you'll be seeing that issue at that kind of price point.

Dell's monitors are often recommended and wall mount nicely. Might be a decent place to start looking and there are plenty of reviews out there to help you along.
 Hooo 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Glyno:

I can't see you having any problems with compatability if it's a modern laptop. You don't say what the monitor output connection is, but it will almost certainly work with any modern monitor.
If you're used to a Retina screen you should definitely look for a Ultra HD monitor - AKA UHD or 4k. There are quite a few about now in that sort of size. I've just been using a nice Phillips 28" one, but I think it's out of your budget.
As far as wall mounting goes, look for VESA in the specs. It means it has a standard wall mount fitting, so you can buy a bracket for a tenner.
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Glyno:

I'm pretty sure you won't get a Retina quality display for anywhere near that budget. Would love someone to prove me wrong though, currently looking for the same thing.
 Mikkel 26 Oct 2015
In reply to James Rushforth:

but will get plenty where the coating do not peel off
 stp 16 Nov 2015
In reply to James Rushforth:
I got a 2560 x 1440, 27 inch, IPS monitor for £400 a good few years ago so I'd be surprised if you can't buy similar now for a fair bit cheaper. Very worthwhile investment, especially for photo editing.

I would say definitely go for IPS (in plane switching), particularly for photography: colours are richer, better contrast with blacker blacks.

I got mine from overclockers.co.uk.
Post edited at 22:38
 stp 16 Nov 2015
In reply to Glyno:

The graphics card is like a mini computer for handling all the graphics - what you see on screen. Obviously the more pixels a screen has the harder the card has to work. Each card can only handle a finite amount of work so the card has to be matched to the screen's resolution. Higher res screens require higher specced cards.

If you're intending to to use both screens simultaneously you'll need a better card too as they'll be roughly twice as many pixels to process. But you don't need a top notch card for such things. The really high spec cards are for gaming, creating 3D imagery. If you're only using the one screen then I suspect the output would be at least as high as your current display - but I'd check first just to make sure. It's key information and must be in the specs somewhere.

You'll also want to make sure the output matches the input on the new monitor. Unlikely to be a problem but good to know beforehand, you may need a special cable.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...