UKC

fontainbleau free overnight camping (in van)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ed morris 25 Oct 2015
Hi all

I am going to font for the first time in my van. Just wondering where the best places are for layby campingplaces to avoid. Alternatively a cheap campsite would be good.

Cheers
Ed
 Trangia 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Ed morris:

The authorities used to take laid back attitude towards this, but I've heard the police do now at times move people on, so a camp site is a better option. The biggest problem is human waste. Do you have some form of toilet so that you can take your shit away?

You may find it difficult if not impossible to find drinking water

Wild shitting in the forest is becoming a big anti social and potential health problem, particularly around the rock outcrops which in places are becoming disgusting - so please don't.

Try googling for camp sites, there are several in the area although I'm not certain about Winter opening dates.
 HeMa 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Ed morris:

Whilst campsites are the best option.

There are a few official bivuac sites still within the forest. So sleeping at those is still legal and should not pose a problem. The better ones have water available and the not so good have parking and flat ground to set up tents.
OP Ed morris 26 Oct 2015
In reply to HeMa:
Thanks for the reply. I'd heard there were a few official bivouac sites. Do you have the details for any of them?
Cheers
Ed

HeMa 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Ed morris:

The one I've always stayed is here:
https://goo.gl/maps/NcuPfLmZ5Dm

On the western side of the road (use streetview to look for the lot).

There's a bunch of tables to eat, a parkin' lot for cars and a well (last time it was drinkable water).

Closest bakery is a bit over 1km to the south, in Bourlon-Marlotte...
 Trangia 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Ed morris:

There is, or was last time I was there, one on the D138 on the SW side of the road near the SW outskirts of Bois-le-Roi where there is a stand pipe.

There is a fresh water fountain near the car parking for Elephant on the East side of the road which leads to Dames Jouanne about a couple of Km north of Larchant. I am not certain what the situation is about overnight parking/bivying.
OP Ed morris 26 Oct 2015
In reply to HeMa:

Thanks for the help

Edmund
 RR 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Ed morris:

I am against wild camping because you blow wind in the sails of those who want to ban even climbing in certain areas. Too much rubbish, shit everywhere etc is left.
Listen well I don’t say you or any other person is to blame for that it is just there.
At Bas Cuvier the prostitutes leave their condoms behind the blocs.
Anyways, as far as I know le bivouac at Bas Brea is closed.
At the parking at Noisy sur Ecole there is a water point. I have heard that people have been deprived/robbed there at night. Tip: don’t leave any thing in your car.
A Milly la Foret at the point ronde just outside le village direction Oncy sur Ecole is a place where there are most of the times a few campers. It is a special build place for campers with the community. Since I don’t have a camper van I don’t know if they ask money for it, it is only for vans.
A Grez sur Loing close to the old bridge close passing to the camping more to the village you will find also a free shower and toilet at the riverside. I don’t know if free camping is allowed, but I do see people there in vans.
The van place at Milly is close to Les Trois Pignons that looks to me the best option.
 Garrouli 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Ed morris:

I was in Font last week with my campervan and had the idea of staying in carparks instead of campsites. However, a lot of the car parks seem to have height barriers now and seeing as my van is over 2.3m, I couldn't park in them. In the end we opted for a campsite in Boulancourt, which at 10euro a night, wasn't really that bad. There were people camping in the 95.2 carpark, but to be honest, with font slowly disappearing under a pile of shit and toilet paper, I will probably keep to the campsites in the future.
 mark catcher 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Ed morris: Park on the car park opposite the Tourist Information Centre in Barbizon. Free wifi, free parking, secure, toilets, bakery two mins walk, bar ditto, bouldering five minutes drive. Sorted.

RR 27 Oct 2015
In reply to mark catcher:

A Barbizon! Putain, that is quite something! I wouldn’t have expected there any thing like facilities. So you see: even a Bleau-climber can live with les plus riches du monde.
Merci.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...