UKC

Hvannadalshnukur Iceland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 olddirtydoggy 27 Oct 2015
Next year myself and 2 friends are doing a tour of Iceland in April and decided it would be rude not to climb Icelands highest. I'm looking at the info on Summitpost, Youtube and the usual info resourses and the topic of guides keeps coming up. I'm not a big fan of using guides for something I'm capable of but also understand some mountains can be dicey with crevasses if we're going over a glacier.
My question is, should I need a guide? I climb both summer and a bit of winter. I've had winter experience in places like the Tatra's, Scotland. I'm good with crampons, axes and navigation and carry a gps for grid ref back up.
Any info on maps would be great. Please post any info that may be of use. Thanks in advance.
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

If you can't perform crevasse rescue then I would have thought that's a pretty major reason to get a guide. If you really want to go it alone then why not do a crevasse rescue course this winter and then practice everything twofold before you go.
 Howard J 27 Oct 2015
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

You will need to know how to move on a glacier, including roping up and crevasse rescue.

The approach is pretty featureless in poor visibility, and compasses may not be entirely reliable in Iceland, so make sure you have spare batteries for your GPS!

April is quite early in the year and you can expect a lot of snow, and if so you may find snow shoes more useful than crampons but it will depend on conditions. Hvannadalshnukur is near the coast so you should be able to get to it, but some of the interior roads may not be open for another month or two. I went in July (many years ago) and even then some roads had only just opened. The guides don't seem to start running their trips until May.
OP olddirtydoggy 27 Oct 2015

Thanks for the posts so far. Crevasse rescue will be on the list of Scotland winter to'do's to get up to speed with that. Watching some youtube vids, the hike up does look fairly featureless so I'd kind of clocked that. This ones a funny one to call, it doesn't seem technically difficult but potentially dangerous if somebody took a fall down a hole. Thank you.
 Howard J 28 Oct 2015

> it doesn't seem technically difficult but potentially dangerous if somebody took a fall down a hole.

Yes, that just about sums up most glacier travel.

In terms of technique, you should be thinking 'Alpine' rather than 'Scottish winter', although the scenery and weather may put you more in mind of the latter. There's no need to wait until winter to practice glacier skills, any small crag or large boulder which will stand in for a crevasse will do. Likewise moving roped up can be practiced anywhere.

The BMC's 'Alpine Essentials' DVD has some useful tips.

pec 28 Oct 2015
 pec 28 Oct 2015
In reply to Howard J:
> April is quite early in the year and you can expect a lot of snow, and if so you may find snow shoes more useful than crampons but it will depend on conditions. Hvannadalshnukur is near the coast so you should be able to get to it, but some of the interior roads may not be open for another month or two. ... >

The walk in starts from the ring road which must a priority to keep open even throughout the winter. I imagine it would only be closed briefly during or just after heavy snowfall before it gets ploughed.

It might be worth asking questions on the Icelandic Alpine Club website forums if you can work out how to do it!
http://www.isalp.is/en/forums/forum/umraedur-2/in-english
Post edited at 22:38
 EspenK 28 Oct 2015

Hi. Trekked up Hvannadalsnukur this July, so don't know what the conditions would be like in April. Our main challenge was that it's a long hike, you start practically on sea level so it's a good idea to start early. We roped up when we reached snow/glacier as adviced by the guides. I think this was at around 1300m altitude, and the path was for the most part easy to follow until then. Saw some small crevasses but it wasn't really what I would have considered crevassed terrain. The last bit is a bit steeper but not actual climbing, and we walked on two feet all the way. In hindsight I would have been happy doing the whole thing unroped but that is off course dependent on conditions etc. An April ascent might be very different!

Below link is from our ascent, you can see the summit on the 2nd picture.
http://blueboatblog.com/2015/07/22/road-trippin/

There is another route, which we were told was not in condition and would not be safe. Met some people later who had not sought advice and just gone up this more challenging route, they didn't consider it unsafe.

I think we bought the map at the base of the mountain, there is a campsite there and stuff. The guides are very helpful and happy to give advice and input even though you have no plans on using a guide for the walk.
 Solaris 28 Oct 2015

Good advice and info from Pec, I'd say. The key thing in April will be the weather: it could be very hostile – remember what it can be like on the Cairngorm plateau in February and then think of what a similar met condition could be like a hundred miles or so south of the Arctic Circle. (For comparison, keep in mind that most roads in the Icelandic Highlands will be closed in May and some of June.)

Dick Philips, who knows more about Iceland than most, told me that Iceland's weather can be reckoned to be similar to Scotland, except 6 weeks earlier, and having been there twice in summer and twice in winter, I've no reason to disagree with him. Of course, the weather could be OK... Or you could have strong winds and be breaking trail in powder snow from sea-level...

There'd be no harm in testing the waters by emailing some guides and asking if they'd be willing to guide you in April and what they reckon the chances of success would be: you wouldn't be using any underhand tactics in asking such questions.
OP olddirtydoggy 28 Oct 2015

I love this forum sometimes. Guys, thanks very much for the info, everything I wanted to know is covered in these posts. Pec, if theres any additional info in your notes that might be of use then I'd be greatful.
2 days hiking in April might be the way to attack it. Thank you VERY much.
 pec 29 Oct 2015

> I love this forum sometimes. Guys, thanks very much for the info, everything I wanted to know is covered in these posts. Pec, if theres any additional info in your notes that might be of use then I'd be greatful. >

OK. I'll try and find it but it might take a few days, I've no idea where it is!

pec 29 Oct 2015
In reply to pec:
How's your French? Here's a trip report
http://www.camptocamp.org/outings/616021/fr/hvannadalshnukur-face-sw
Picture12/13 shows the route once on the glacier. It curves round to the right of the area of sunlit crevasses in the centre and heads to the summit block, pic 11/13 which you climb towards the left before turning right to the summit.
Two more trip reports on this page
http://www.camptocamp.org/summits/532442/fr/hvannadalshnukur

The guides website suggests they start running trips from April 15th so its not too mad to try it it then.
http://www.mountainguides.is/day-tours/mountain-climbing/icelands-highest-s...
Post edited at 09:52
 Solaris 29 Oct 2015

Glad to be of help, and it's nice to have it acknowledged.

I've got a not wholly dissimilar (!!) trip in mind and found much of what I wanted to know from digging around via search engines. There's loads of info out there... Including maps and books with descriptions of alpine climbing, but no one seems to trust books nowadays!
OP olddirtydoggy 29 Oct 2015
Thanks for the links pec, the images are roughly familiar from some of the vids I've watched. I just noticed on that guide site they are guiding it for £200 pp, thats a damn good wage I'd say if you can get a pack together.
Books and maps are the next step. Stamfords might be my next call or maybe Rockfax. I do tend to overplan routes rather but that said I don't like surprises on winter routes. Thanks again for the comments and help, this has saved me a lot of time and guess work.
Post edited at 20:11
 Mark Bull 30 Oct 2015

There's a brief description and route map in the book "Summit: 100 Mountain Hikes in Iceland" http://www.forlagid.is/?p=600235 . I'd be happy to scan the page for you if you PM me! As for paper maps, I don't think you can do better than this: http://www.stanfords.co.uk/Activities-and-Interests/Maps--Atlases/Skaftafel... . Despite the 1:100k scale, the detail actually isn't bad, but the paper they are printed on is terrible - worth sellotaping the back of the folds before you use it!
OP olddirtydoggy 01 Nov 2015
In reply to Mark Bull:
Many thanks for the info. A scan would be greatfully received if possible. I noticed the map link and it's confirmed the one I thought it was. Thanks again for the post, really helpful stuff.
Post edited at 22:47
 pec 02 Nov 2015

> Pec, if theres any additional info in your notes that might be of use then I'd be greatful. >

I've had a look over the weekend for my notes but can't find them in any of the places I'd expect them to be but I've moved house three times since I was in Iceland so they could be anywhere.
I'll keep it in mind and if I come accross them I'll mail them to you.

OP olddirtydoggy 02 Nov 2015
In reply to pec:

No probs, everybody here has been extremely helpful, many thanks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...