UKC

Exquisite climbs in grim holes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Ivanator 27 Oct 2015
After climbing the fantastic, but lewdly named Don't Jis on my Sofa (6a+) at Barland Quarry (Gower) yesterday I was wondering what other nominations people had for brilliant climbs in truly ugly quarried holes.
Trad or Sport, to qualify all that is required is a 3* set of moves in a minus 3* location. So coastal quarries with a sea view (e.g. Dancing Ledge) are definitely out, as I guess are places with a foreboding post-industrial charm like Llanberis Slate - but which are the great climbs in the grottiest corners of our land?
Potential for a tour of beauty ticklist here!
 d_b 27 Oct 2015
In reply to The Ivanator:
Chocolate Blancmange Gully, Horseshoe Quarry.

/gets coat.
Post edited at 15:44
 james.slater 27 Oct 2015

Man In Tears (7b+) - An enormous dirty hole but has a couple of gems. This one is still on my to do list.
Zapple (HVS 5b) - Maybe not as grotty as some places, but its still a dirty hole in the ground with no nice views. And Zapple is great (when dry)!
 Cerris90 27 Oct 2015

Flight of the Mad Magician  6b Legaston quarry.
 Trangia 27 Oct 2015
Does Sapper 4c at Bowles count?

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=1109

OK only ** but Bowles is an old quarry.

Not technically difficult, but the body sized hole beats many people who quickly learn the size isn't everything!
Post edited at 16:14
 1234None 27 Oct 2015

Supercrack at Lorry Park Quarry. Has to be one of the ultimate shithole crags in the UK but what a route!?
 stevieb 27 Oct 2015

I've never climbed it, but does Great Crack, Dukes Quarry qualify?
 Tom Last 27 Oct 2015

Strongbow in Luxulyan Valley Quarry, Cornwall.

Strongbow (7c)
 Andy Farnell 27 Oct 2015
In reply to 1234None:

The Squealer (7c) at Lorry Park is also fantastic. Great sheet of rock, awful venue.

Andy F
 Simon Caldwell 27 Oct 2015

Any 3* route at Baildon
 1234None 27 Oct 2015
In reply to andy farnell:

> The Squealer (7c) at Lorry Park is also fantastic. Great sheet of rock, awful venue.

That'd probably require multiple visits for me, and just going there once for supercrack was more than enough, although I have seen pics of the squealer and it does look like good climbing. What a dump though! I also recall being chased by the gypsies' dog on the way back to the car, which certainly added to the overall "experience". That place makes Horseshoe look like paradise!
 planetmarshall 27 Oct 2015

Everything at Millstone?
 1234None 27 Oct 2015
In reply to Tom Last:

Really...isn't that valley quite picturesque? The pics of the crag on here don't look so bad....

Mark Bull 27 Oct 2015

There's half a dozen 3* routes in Auchinstarry Quarry but it's pretty low on the ambience scale!
 Tom Last 27 Oct 2015
In reply to 1234None:

Yes, Luxulyan Valley Woods is beautiful as are the crags - the quarry being to my mind the exception.
 1234None 27 Oct 2015
In reply to planetmarshall:

> Everything at Millstone?

If Millstone classes as a really ugly place to you, you've obviously managed to avoid most of the real shithole places! Try Halldale, Lorry Park or even Masson Lees quarries for size!
 Tom Last 27 Oct 2015
In reply to 1234None:

Any I'm probably being a bit unfair just because it's a quarry
 deepstar 27 Oct 2015

[crag(19293,"Gilson's Slab")... Downhill Racist would fit the bill, incredible route,shitty crag.

1234None 27 Oct 2015
In reply to Tom Last:

> Any I'm probably being a bit unfair just because it's a quarry

They can be tough places to like...I've certainly had a bellyfull of them in and around the peak. The limestone quarries there are particularly grim, but they have some OK climbing...
 Andy Farnell 27 Oct 2015
In reply to 1234None:

> That'd probably require multiple visits for me, and just going there once for supercrack was more than enough, although I have seen pics of the squealer and it does look like good climbing. What a dump though! I also recall being chased by the gypsies' dog on the way back to the car, which certainly added to the overall "experience". That place makes Horseshoe look like paradise!

I was lucky to get it in a session. Didn't get on Supercrack due to the queues!

Andy F
 Trangia 27 Oct 2015

OK you've excluded sea cliffs, but popping out out of the dark and slimey Avernus at Swanage into brilliant sunlight overlooking the sea is a magic experience.

Avernus (S 4a)

In a similar vein emerging from the top of Lockwood's Chimney makes it all worth while

Lockwood's Chimney (VD)
 Michael Gordon 27 Oct 2015
In reply to Cerris90:

> Flight of the Mad Magician££6b Legaston quarry.

Probably some of the stuff at Ley also?
 ianstevens 27 Oct 2015
In reply to Trangia:

Also neither are in old quarries.
 Trangia 27 Oct 2015
In reply to ianstevens:

> Also neither are in old quarries.

Are you sure Subluminal isn't?

ianstevens 27 Oct 2015
In reply to Trangia:

I don't *think* it is... I could well be wrong. Clogwyn y Bustach definately isn't, but Lockwood's Chimney is such a dank hole you may as well count it as one!
 Ramblin dave 27 Oct 2015
In reply to ianstevens:

In any case, Subluminal pretty definitively has a sea view, and could hardly be described as "a minus 3* location" or "one of the grottiest corners of our land". And while I haven't done either climb, they sound like great fun but hardly "3* sets of moves". So back to the drawing board, I think.
OP The Ivanator 27 Oct 2015

Some great and slightly outside the criteria suggestions so far, but all interesting reading. I thought Tintern would have something to offer! Although not amongst the very ugliest quarries Fairy Cave is still far from an aesthetic delight, so I guess Rob's Crack (VS 4c) and Moving Target (E3 5c) are legitimate additions.
The Barland climb in the OP had been on my wishlist for several years and still managed to exceed my expectations, an absolutely stunning route - it did still feel somewhat perverse to be spending precious climbing hours in a grim North facing hole with beautiful coastal crags just a 10 minute drive away!
 ashtond6 27 Oct 2015

Brad Pitt
 Morty 27 Oct 2015

Anything at The Breck.
 Offwidth 27 Oct 2015
In reply to stevieb:

Dukes Quarry is anything but a grim hole...its a lovely nature reserve ... Great Crack is up with the best VS climbs in the peak if its bone dry (and normally a great HVS with a wet start). Bailden is only a bit grim and has some great routes from S.

This is more like it:

Private Targets (E1 5b)

This is a great climb but maybe not grim enough on the hole stakes:

The Best Bit of Rock in Glossop (VS 4c)
 alan moore 27 Oct 2015

The nettle filled Point Quarry in the Forest of Dean has an immaculate 50 foot crack aptly named Forked Lightening

Rosyth Quarry is a flea bitten hole but has a little VS corner that could grace a gritstone edge anywhere. Heathy, I think.
 climbingpixie 27 Oct 2015

Grave's End at Summit Quarry and Ha'penny Arete at Deeply Vale. I've got a soft spot for Lancashire quarries so quite liked both venues but they're hardly beautiful and magnificent places to climb.
 radddogg 27 Oct 2015
I'm going to give some love to Lancashire's quarries and nominate 999 (HS 4b) at Wilton 1 for a superb 3* with bomber gear, bold moves and the crux where it should be.

Then there is Jean Jeanie (VS 4c) 3* at Trowbarrow, one of the most climbed routes in Lancashire with reason. The sustained steep offwidth crack provides an intimidating pump fest and tops out to stunning views of Morecambe Bay. Ok maybe it is too pretty to get on this list but it has to get a mention. Get on it before it falls down.
Post edited at 20:47
 stevieb 27 Oct 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

OK that's good to hear. I'd heard it was frequently damp and maybe overgrown, but good to hear its a pleasant location.
 Lord_ash2000 27 Oct 2015

The 3 main routes at Thrang Quarry are pretty good despite the crag being pretty much literally a hole in the ground.
 gazhbo 27 Oct 2015

Red Rag to a Bull (E5 6b) at Split Rock (Milton Hill Quarry). And everything else at split rock

Cairn (7a) at Harpur Hill probably meets the criteria
 Mike-W-99 27 Oct 2015
In reply to radddogg:

> Then there is Jean Jeanie (VS 4c) 3* at Trowbarrow, one of the most climbed routes in
Compared to the grotty quarries we have here in central scotland thats a very pleasant venue. Great route, looking forward to a return trip at some point.
 MischaHY 27 Oct 2015

S Groove (E7 6c) is a ridiculously good piece of bold, technical climbing with a massively intense crux (F7a+ at nine metres with no gear), all wrapped up in a surrounding of half burnt scrap and a shooting range.
 Offwidth 27 Oct 2015
In reply to stevieb:

Most of the climbs there are overgrown and the first 3m of Great Crack is usually very damp but above that its a delight. Take something to cover the wet platform at the base and things go better. Its so good I've done it more times than I can remember.
Removed User 28 Oct 2015
In reply to Morty:

Came to post Bluebell Traverse, glorious moves!
 SenzuBean 28 Oct 2015

I have to disagree that Fairy cave can be counted. It’s a stunning location and there are great views from the top. Maybe 40 years ago without all the trees it would count
 The New NickB 28 Oct 2015
In reply to climbingpixie:

> Grave's End at Summit Quarry and Ha'penny Arete at Deeply Vale. I've got a soft spot for Lancashire quarries so quite liked both venues but they're hardly beautiful and magnificent places to climb.

Both are in quite pleasant locations.
OP The Ivanator 28 Oct 2015
 DannyC 28 Oct 2015

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned this archetypal Central Belt diamond in the rough.

Scharnhorst (E1 5b)

A complete belter of a route hidden away among nettles, choss, broken glass and teenage drinking den huts. My belayer was stood on top of a burnt mattress. It was that good.

D.
 Rog Wilko 28 Oct 2015
In reply to stevieb:

> I've never climbed it, but does Great Crack, Dukes Quarry qualify?

There's nothing wrong with Dukes Qy that a bit of napalm wouldn't put right. Raises the question, though, whether a man made hole that nature is doing its best to reclaim really fits the OP's criterion.
 jonnie3430 28 Oct 2015
In reply to DannyC:

Indeed, I can't believe auchinstarry got a mention after the landscaping! Especially when compared to rosyth (heathy and Cathy,) and cambusbarron (minus contract, et al. Just don't pull to hard at the top....)
 DannyC 28 Oct 2015
In reply to jonnie3430:

Yeah, I think Auchinstarry's a pretty attractive spot these days and I never really get the mumps about it. Although it is the only place I have ever had stones thrown at me while soloing

Rosyth is certainly a candidate for 'grim hole' - particularly on a dry dusty morning with the embers of last night's rubbish fire still burning and only the buzz of the mini-motos to mask the M90. Though sadly the routes might struggle to fit the 'exquisite' criteria...!

D.
August West 28 Oct 2015
In reply to Lord_ash2000:

Thrang Quarry may not be the nicest part of the the valley, but the valley in question is Langdale so is definitely excluded from this list. Also none of the routes there get three stars even with the "sprinkling stars abundantly" attitude of the FRCC guides.
 Mike Highbury 28 Oct 2015
In reply to SenzuBean:
> I have to disagree that Fairy cave can be counted. It£s a stunning location and there are great views from the top. Maybe 40 years ago without all the trees it would count

Nope, he understates, it's genuinely vile.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 28 Oct 2015

Got to be Mandarin at Hoghton - the best route on grit in a dark, muddy, mossy, gloomy hole in the ground,

Chris
 Mike-W-99 28 Oct 2015
In reply to DannyC:

Starry has got better since the locals lost interest in hanging about the area and shouting abuse although it's still a jungle getting into the routes round the back.
Rosyth is in a different league with perhaps the highlight being the kids trying to juggle knifes(it didn't end well)
 Andy Farnell 28 Oct 2015
YouyYIn reply to Chris Craggs:

> Got to be Mandarin at Hoghton - the best route on grit in a dark, muddy, mossy, gloomy hole in the ground,

> Chris

You can add Boadicea to that list, better than Regent Street IMHO.

Andy F
 kipper12 28 Oct 2015
In reply to 1234None:
Come on, surely per hill has to win the sh1t hole award, especially with added local yobs, scallies
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 28 Oct 2015
In reply to andy farnell:

> YouyY

> You can add Boadicea to that list, better than Regent Street IMHO.

> Andy F

...... and Rhododendron Buttress.

Do those three and you never have to return!

Chris
 Andy Farnell 28 Oct 2015
In reply to kipper12: Pex may be a hole, but its a pleasantly wooded hole with very few scallies. Any many great problems/routes.

Andy F

Dave Williams 28 Oct 2015
Hmm, England seems to have a great many 'exquisite climbs in grim holes'. Lucky you.

Surprised no-one's mentioned one that straddles the Welsh border: Llanymynech Quarry . It's a very big and very grim hole, definitely in the 'in-yer-face' category.

Admittedly, the English part of the quarry is a bit less grim now that some recent clearance of the rapidly encroaching jungle has taken place, but pretty it is still not, while the neglected and largely unloved Welsh part is getting grimmer and more Jurassic-like by the day. Take your pick of the 3 star routes as there are three E2-E4 trad routes on Black Wall and four F7a clip ups on Nomad Wall.

Blind Faith (VS) is also probably worth 3 stars for the sheer improbability and audacity of the climbing rather than quality per se, although it once featured as a 'Climb of Quality' in Climber and Rambler mag in the late 1970s, presumably following an ascent where good judgement was badly clouded after a heavy session of alcohol or substance abuse. Not a route to comfortably solo; the route name itself is a bit of a give-away ....
Post edited at 14:38
 top cat 28 Oct 2015
In reply to Mike Highbury:

> Nope, he understates, it's genuinely vile.

You need to be a caver to appreciate Fairy Caves quarry: the caves are utterly stunning !!!!
 FactorXXX 28 Oct 2015

Anyone mentioned SE Wales Sandstone yet?

Highway One, at, er, whatever that grotty hole in the ground is called. Portishead?

jcm
 thermal_t 29 Oct 2015
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

> Highway One, at, er, whatever that grotty hole in the ground is called. Portishead?

> jcm

I belayed my friend on that, genuinely terrified for him, seriously snappy rock. To be fair Portishead has a very good concentration of decent routes for such a dingy location!
In reply to thermal_t:

>genuinely terrified for him, seriously snappy rock.

Blimey. If I was you I wouldn't go on the culm.

jcm
 james.slater 29 Oct 2015
In reply to Dave Williams:

I didnt think Llanymynech was too bad as far as quarries go, quite a bit of tree cover and 'naturey' parts but quite open in places although the part of the quarry with the really short sport routes (Back bee tubin?) was more grotty. I also found the routes on Black wall to be very good but maybe not 3 stars. I liked the look of Nomad wall, one to go back to!
 bensilvestre 29 Oct 2015

Maybe I just missed it but the routes in the electric quarry, stoney Middleton deserve to be in this list
 Rick Graham 29 Oct 2015
In reply to bensilvestre:

> Maybe I just missed it but the routes in the electric quarry, stoney Middleton deserve to be in this list

Mmmmmmm, not sure about those routes.
Wiley Coyote2 29 Oct 2015

Anything at Heptonstall. What a dump!

(I've not been for years for precisely that reason so if it's been cleaned up let me know)
 AMorris 30 Oct 2015

Might be short, but Hang 'em High (E5 6c) at [(1583,"Hang Hill Quarry")] would be probably the most out of place and best route I have ever done. A superb arête with crag rock and moves of the highest quality in the middle of a dirty quarry surrounded by broken glass and dumped furniture.

I have climbed harder, but I have never felt so happy as I was the day I climbed that.
 tjekel 30 Oct 2015

sistiana. partly quarried. and sea view. as well as a waste water treatment pöant.
 Martin Bennett 26 Nov 2015
In reply to Chris Craggs:
> Got to be Mandarin at Hoghton - the best route on grit in a dark, muddy, mossy, gloomy hole in the ground,

I wondered how far I'd have to scroll to find it and who would be the perpetrator! Mandarin has to be the route that defines the genre. Then there's Rhododendron Buttress and Boadicea.
Post edited at 21:18
 Martin Bennett 26 Nov 2015

Best example in The Lakes must be Darklands, Cathedral Quarry. Being a man of (only) my calibre I've only seconded it, albeit with the first ascensionist on his umpteenth ascent of it, and agree wholeheartedly with it's three stars. But what a hole it's in. There are nastier holes but not with such a magnificent climb, surely?
 Graham Booth 26 Nov 2015
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

How dare you Caldwell!!! Baildon is a lovely spot!!!!!
 goose299 26 Nov 2015
In reply to radddogg:
Since when was trowbarrow classed as a grim hole?
Post edited at 22:09
 Simon Caldwell 27 Nov 2015
In reply to Graham Booth:

What took you so long?!

I've only ever thought Anglezarke to be attractive when compared with Lester Mill just across the road; otherwise it's a scruffy place.

That said, Samarkand is a very good climb - though I must admit some bias, as it was my first VS lead.

T.
 philhilo 27 Nov 2015
In reply to 1234None:
I reckon Masson is quite a pleasant place - almost feels natural with the trees, caves, kestrals, orchids, etc. Views are quite limited though. Lorry Park definitely topped the list of s**t holes, Harpur Hell close behind. I was so glad when Lorry Park closed as a mate had a project in there and wanted to visit frequently. With the warm up being a 6b+ that used to be an E4 then it wasn't much fun!
 whenry 27 Nov 2015

> I thought Tintern would have something to offer!

I can't think of any routes at Tintern that are particularly outstanding - equally, compared to some places it's not a horrific dump. Fairy Cave is a monstrous wasteland (but since I hate slab climbing I'm not going to nominate any routes there ), and some of the South East Wales quarries are grim, as FactorXXX mentions - it's been a while since I've climbed in many of them, so I can't think of any outstanding routes there. I was going to nominate Portishead, but it was free of scallies, and has a reasonable view across the Gordano Valley.
 philhilo 29 Nov 2015
Agreed, Highway One is a disintegrating choss fest. More holds fell off that in two ascents than in a seasons climbing elsewhere including plenty of Culm.

Billg 29 Nov 2015
In reply to whenry:

Encore Magnifique is a great route in the hole that is The Gap . Far from the worst hole that South Wales has to offer but it ticks the criteria
 Bulls Crack 29 Nov 2015

3 star routes in Lancashire?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...