UKC

BMC winter meet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 HosteDenis 28 Oct 2015
Hi,

About the Scottish BMC winter meet: I know some countries either send one or two "delegate" climbers to the meet to climb with locals who show them the ropes. Are only these delegates welcome, or can anyone join or come to the meet?

Denis
 HeMa 28 Oct 2015
In reply to HosteDenis:

Delegates, and how many can be sent from a given country is up to BMC to decide.
 alasdair19 28 Oct 2015
In reply to HosteDenis:

Not all counties send delegates so if your french get in touch with bmc and see where the invitation goes. It can't really be a free for all as there are only so many beds at Glenmore lodge. However the bar is public and everyone is welcome at the after excellent evening lectures
OP HosteDenis 28 Oct 2015
In reply to alasdair19:

No the thing is i'm from Belgium and the BMC first told us we could send two delegateS, but they also told us this number could be subject to change (i think ik case each country sends their two delegates and there'll be too many participants). Anyway, shit happens and we were told we can only send 1 delegate anymore. The Belgian federation has now left it up to me and the other delegate to decide between us who can go. Not a pleasant task as we both want to go. I was thinking of letting him go, it's only fair since he was the first applicant. I as just wondering if there was another way i could still join
 planetmarshall 28 Oct 2015
In reply to HosteDenis:

> The Belgian federation has now left it up to me and the other delegate to decide between us who can go. Not a pleasant task as we both want to go.

The traditional Scottish way to decide these things is a naked ice-axe duel on top of the Cioch in Skye.

> I as just wondering if there was another way i could still join

Well, it's not "official", but you could always hook up with a partner from UKC - there are always plenty around at that time of year - sort out your own accommodation then go to the bar in the evening to swap gnarly stories.

HeMa 28 Oct 2015
In reply to planetmarshall:

> Well, it's not "official", but you could always hook up with a partner from UKC - there are always plenty around at that time of year - sort out your own accommodation then go to the bar in the evening to swap gnarly stories.

ding ding... met a US bloke on the last meet, in a darn long que on Beinn Eighes Pigotts route. He was the 3rd, so didn't get to partake in the meet but still came along and climbed with other peeps.
In reply to HosteDenis: Sounds like your best option is to speak to the BMC and see if you can be top of the reserve list in case anyone else drops out.

AFAIK it will be next week before all the UK hosts are confirmed so after that some of us may find we are free to climb out with the meet.
 davkeo 29 Oct 2015
In reply to HosteDenis:
I was also selected as one of the 2 but promptly given the shaft when the numbers were reduced to one per country. I'm considering going out anyway so maybe we should form some breakaway group for the rejected.
Post edited at 12:24
 HeMa 29 Oct 2015
In reply to davkeo:

Just to be certain, each country was given 2 possible slots. So the only "selection" was done locally in each country.

BMC then used their own methodology to select the actual participants.

And indeed, you should still attend if you can get someone to climb with ya.
 planetmarshall 29 Oct 2015
In reply to davkeo:

> I'm considering going out anyway so maybe we should form some breakaway group for the rejected.

I've applied to be a host, so if I get rejected count me in. Maybe we can get some t-shirts printed or something.
OP HosteDenis 30 Oct 2015
In reply to HosteDenis:

Sounds like a plan. I'll keep an eye on this topic

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...