UKC

Shin irritation from alpine boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bryn_F 28 Oct 2015
Is anyone familiar with having quite severe shin irritation from daily use of alpine boots? I wore Asolo plastic boots for a trip to the Alps last year, but after 3-4 days of wearing these boots on a daily basis, I was suffering quite debilitating pain in both shins, almost like an inflammation. I did not suffer from blisters or the like - and I had worn the boots on many occasions previously for 6-8 hours a day, ascending and descending.

The pain was such that I could not face starting the last of our routes and so retreated, but could only walk in the boots with the laces completely undone above the ankle. The pain persisted for about a week afterwards, and I wonder if this was some sort of irritation of the muscles/tendons against the bone, and if it is something that can be improved with proper conditioning? Or is it something that you either do/do not suffer from?

Any insight would be gratefully appreciated.
In reply to Bryn_F:

Hi mate. It's called shin bang. Best solution I'm told (I've never had it) is use an old or second hand foam sleeping matt and cut a shin shaped piece to stuff down in front of each shin between the top of the alpine boot and your leg. The soft foam will absorb the small but constant impact of the boot and also stop any rubbing. I've never hadn't like I say but seen this work to good affect.

Hope this helps.
 ben b 29 Oct 2015
In reply to Bryn_F:

Plastic boot ankle - I had this when I first got my old Asolo AFS101s until they battered my shins into condition. It does go away eventually. Now the 101s are long gone I still get it from the first outing in my telemark boots each year....

Odd that you should get it now though - sock related?

b
robapplegate 29 Oct 2015
In reply to Bryn_F:

Suffered exactly the same with my Asolos till I had worn holes in the front of my legs. Stuck some second skin gel pads on and carried on. Works like a dream.
 ScottTalbot 29 Oct 2015
In reply to Bryn_F:

From your description, this sounds more like shin splints to me.. Probably caused by the change of gait, using the muscles in a way hey aren't accustomed? Somebody more qualified than me could probably give you preventative stretches/exercises, but once the symptoms have started, all you can really do is take anti inflammatory's and apply ice packs to reduce the inflammation.
 alexm198 29 Oct 2015
In reply to Bryn_F:

I remember getting something like this with a pair of Asolo AFS 103s before I switched to some more modern boots.

Dunno if this is an option for you, but I'd highly recommend switching to a non-plastic boot. Some great, affordable alternatives on the market these days which are just as warm and a bazillion times more comfortable.
deadpoint 29 Oct 2015
In reply to Bryn_F:

Fingertape wrapped around the sore point helped me. I too got this from 103's, i now have bald patches on both shins, switched to sportivas and never had the probkem again.
 peebles boy 29 Oct 2015
In reply to Bryn_F:

Boots too tight on the walk in and walk out? After a summer of wearing soft boots/shoes, I would imagine fully strapping you feet into rigid boots as tight as the laces will go will come as a shock to the whole foot including the shin.... Had the same a couple seasons ago, but keeping a tight foot lacing and loose ankle lacing until i needed full ankle support/crampons seemed to work.
 Andy Nisbet 29 Oct 2015
In reply to peebles boy:

I agree. The crucial thing is to lace your boots up slack for anything except hard climbing.
 pass and peak 30 Oct 2015
In reply to Bryn_F:

Its Shin splints! Caused buy the different boot causing different muscles to pull in different directions! Can also be caused buy wearing a familiar boot over different terrain and very much brought on buy going at things to fast after a lay off! Can easily be avoided buy breaking yourself in to the newer boots. YES that's right you have to break your self into the change of boot, the boot gets used to you and you get used to the boot! for what its worth, if I'm not careful I get problems every spring and winter as I change from winter to summer boots! Not much you can do about shin splints other than rest and ibro! Hope they improve soon!
 chris fox 30 Oct 2015
In reply to Chris Huntington:

I'll second this method, my mate used to do it for the same reasons
 Fruit 30 Oct 2015
In reply to Bryn_F:

Back in the days of Koflach plastic boots I used to have to shave my ankles to avoid severe discomfort. Whatever sock combination I used this was the only way I could wear them comfortably.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...