UKC

All that glisters is not gold

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Andy Gamisou 29 Oct 2015
My dog has just swallowed one of my wife's ear rings. How long before it comes out the other end?
 BigBrother 29 Oct 2015
In reply to Willi Crater:

They have a quicker throughput than humans so not long.

^ This.

Transit time (from eating to pooing) in dogs is usually about 24-48 hours, but this is highly variable, so you need to be on scooping and dissection duty fairly straight away. Remember, it's only poo.

Things that can help to promote clearance include high residue foods - chappie is the usual favourite - along with a small amount of liquid paraffin. But provided your wife wears fairly discrete earrings - ie, no dream catchers or innately pointy jobs - then your hardest task is going to be persuading her to wear it again, once it reappears.

One note of caution - if your dog starts to vomit, goes off food or shows any sign of distress / pain / 1000-yard stare (you'll see it if it happens), seek veterinary advice immediately. It's unlikely with a small foreign body like this, but don't wait out any of these symptoms.

Sure it'll be fine - and make a good pub story.
Andy Gamisou 29 Oct 2015
In reply to Martin not maisie:

Thanks for that. Very useful. My wife will be dealing with the dissection aspects of the operation, my role will be limited to collection and delivery. Pretty sure she'll be happy to wear them again - she's been a nurse for years so used to the more biological aspects of life. Cheers.
cb294 29 Oct 2015

Great combination of title and topic!

CB
 krikoman 29 Oct 2015
In reply to Martin not maisie:

> ^ This.

> Transit time (from eating to pooing) in dogs is usually about 24-48 hours, but this is highly variable, so you need to be on scooping and dissection duty fairly straight away. Remember, it's only poo.

Quicker than humans!!! How long is you transit time, I reckon I'm about 24 hours, ignoring signalling work at Clapham Junction. 48 hours seems a very long time.
 toad 29 Oct 2015

The mornings horse poo usually comes out of my retriever by tea time. Smells much nicer that ordinary dog eggs, with a firmer texture and grassy aroma. As for the mouth feel.....
 Clarence 29 Oct 2015
In reply to toad:

That is only if your horses are grazing with moderate supplements (ordinary pony nuts etc.). My cousin's horse which is used for eventing and dressage is on a special protein diet and once that has been through the labrador it smells like a rotting sheep marinaded in vomit strained through an old nappy.
 EddInaBox 29 Oct 2015
In reply to Clarence:

You were lucky to have a nappy! We 'ad to strain our rotting sheep marinaded in vomit through a small shoebox in the middle of the road.
Removed User 29 Oct 2015
In reply to Clarence:

Get a cat FFS!
 graeme jackson 29 Oct 2015
> My dog has just swallowed one of my wife's ear rings. How long before it comes out the other end?

Was the ear attached?
Post edited at 11:45
 Clarence 29 Oct 2015
In reply to Removed User:

Why? I already have two.
 EddInaBox 29 Oct 2015
In reply to Clarence:

It's not really juggling if you only do it with two.
Andy Gamisou 29 Oct 2015
In reply to graeme jackson:

> Was the ear attached?

Not this time. Dog has certainly tried to chew her ear off before to get at her ear rings.
 Timmd 29 Oct 2015
In reply to Removed User:

> Get a cat FFS!

???
 Clarence 29 Oct 2015
In reply to EddInaBox:

Given my cat's brilliant impression of an alien face-hugger whenever it is picked up, maybe Hardonicus intended to send it into the dog to retrieve the jewellery before bursting out through the abdomen at the dinner table?

It's certainly worth considering...
 Philip 29 Oct 2015

> My dog has just swallowed one of my wife's ear rings. How long before it comes out the other end?

The first question you have to ask yourself is how much did the earings cost?
 Rob Parsons 29 Oct 2015

> Not this time. Dog has certainly tried to chew her ear off before to get at her ear rings.

Your wife doesn't wear these, by any chance?: http://www.halloweencostumes.co.uk/white-bone-earrings.html

If so - that's your problem right there ...
 birdie num num 29 Oct 2015

This happened to Mrs Num Num a year ago. Her earring fell out into the bowl of Chappie and the mongrels had scoffed the lot before she could pull them off. It came out pretty quick.
I only found out the next night when I had a speculative nibble of her earlobe while she was snoring and got a niff of that familiar pungent tang redolent of those youthful days when you stepped in one by the swings and had to scrape it off on the kerb.
 sbc_10 29 Oct 2015

was it (is it ?) a chocolate brown retriever ??

shi(t) tzu ??

Poo-dle ??

Andy Gamisou 29 Oct 2015
In reply to sbc_10:

> was it (is it ?) a chocolate brown retriever ??

> shi(t) tzu ??

> Poo-dle ??

It should be shouldn't it? But not entirely sure of breed. Rescue dog. Looks and behaves like a Belgie Malinois, but pretty uncommon where I am, so tending towards her being a GSD mix. Anyone know if doggy DNA testing is reliable?
 Tam O'Bam 29 Oct 2015

If you don't succeed in retrieving the item, simply make a hole in the scruff of your dog's neck, then shape and insert a paper clip in the hole. Hey presto! Instant replacement earring! (You may need a slightly larger paper clip if your dog is a Great Dane).
 nniff 29 Oct 2015
In reply to toad:

> ordinary dog eggs

Our dog's called Mac. The things he leaves in the garden are MacNuggets

Hat Dude 30 Oct 2015

Is it out yet?
Andy Gamisou 30 Oct 2015

All that glisters IS gold (albeit of a more than slightly malodorous variety).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...