UKC

Stolen bikes - Essex

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LittleRob 29 Oct 2015
Bit of a long-shot, but please keep your eyes peeled. Last night we had 4 bikes nicked:
1. Merida Scultura 400 - Black
2. Merida Ride 200 - Red
3. Specialized Camber Evo 29er - Black
4. Cannondale Trail SL4 - Green and black
 LastBoyScout 29 Oct 2015
In reply to LittleRob:

Bastards.

Beef up your security and expect them to come back in 3 months time for the replacements - this happened to a friend of mine, although they heard them the second time and increased security and being chased by someone wielding a spare set of RockShox meant they didn't get away with anything.

All my bikes are chained with at least one motorbike lock to at least one ground anchor. I am considering putting an alarm in the garage, too.
OP LittleRob 29 Oct 2015
In reply to LittleRob:

They were still on the back of the car, and chained using a big motorbike type lock that I only bought this summer. That was lying on the ground cut-through ;-(
In reply to LittleRob:

I use a pragmasis 19mm chain on my motorbike. It's really chunky and offers a good deterrent. I wouldn't bother with anything that can easily be cropped (13mm or below)...and most motorbike security I see sold in shops is pretty easy to crop.

http://securityforbikes.com/products.php?cat=High+Security+Chain+and+Lock+d...

Only issue is the shear bulk of the chain and padlock on delicate road bikes...a balance you need to make I guess
 nutme 29 Oct 2015

Not sure about the locks. Was always considering them just a protection from teenagers. I think that any lock can be cut, destroyed or hacked by a professional thief. The question is only if it's worth. I have heard from a friend (police officer in London) about minibuses packed with powertools to cut locks or anchors.

Anything can be nicked as long as the price / risk ratio is good for a thief.
Post edited at 11:35
cb294 29 Oct 2015
In reply to LittleRob:

Bike thieves piss me off no end. When students at my institute were filling sand bags and building flood defences a couple of years ago, thieves stole a couple of bikes locked t a bike rack less then five meters away. The going rate is about three or four bikes a month, and the police could not care less.

I therefore propose a different solution:

Seeing as bikes have largely replaced horses, bike thieves should be treated like horse thieves used to be:

Cut off ears first time.

Cut off head second time round...

CB
 LastBoyScout 29 Oct 2015
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

> Only issue is the shear bulk of the chain and padlock on delicate road bikes...a balance you need to make I guess

Agreed - I arrange mine so that the weight is mostly carried by the wall bracket and use foam pipe insulation to protect the frames.
 balmybaldwin 29 Oct 2015
In reply to LittleRob:

I highly recommend these people:

http://securityforbikes.com/

I have a couple of the shed shackles, and a ground anchor, along with their 19mm chains and recessed locks.

Whilst they are no absolute guarantee the effort and amount of destruction required to get my bikes out of my Workshop and back garden will be enough to make neighbours phone the police if I'm not there.

I agree with the point about 19mm chains and road bikes not mixing that well.... I have used some separate smaller gauge chains to take the weight of it off the road bike.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...