UKC

medical advice: ageing father, i have a cold, should i visit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bob Hughes 29 Oct 2015
Looking for some medical advice here. My dad lives in france and is getting on a bit. he had quite a big set back over the summer and now spends a lot of time sleeping - he has a blood condition.

a couple of months ago i promised him i'd visit to watch the rugby world cup final with him but this week i've come down with a cold. I'm worried i'm going to give him my cold which in his condition could end up being quite serious.

what do you medical uckers think?
 David Staples 29 Oct 2015
In reply to Bob Hughes:

Worth a look - http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1068.aspx?CategoryID=67

Hope you get to see your old man though.
OP Bob Hughes 29 Oct 2015
In reply to David Staples:

thanks, David. Me too.
 Hooo 29 Oct 2015
In reply to Bob Hughes:

Go, and take precautions. Don't breathe over him, wash hands well etc. Wear a surgical mask if you're worried.
I had a similar dilemma a year ago, and between us we decided that the boost from seeing their loved ones was worth the risk. Especially if it's getting to the stage where it might be the last time.
In reply to Bob Hughes:
Really sorry,
You might be overthinking (or over avoiding) this,
the NHS stuff is pretty vague information,
if you're really invested in seeing him do it, when you are well (but don't make vague excuses for not).
If you are self employed, just do it.
If not, explain to your employer and I'm sure you'll get compassionate leave.
Might be harsh, but speaking as someone that 'missed the boat'.
Regards,
Adrian
Post edited at 23:30
 Wicamoi 30 Oct 2015
In reply to Bob Hughes:

Hi Bob

Because of an aspect of the immune system called the Major Histone Complex, and because of its influence on sexual attraction, the chances are that you share a similar immune system to either your dad or your mum, but not to both. Consequently you probably either caught you mum's colds OR your dad's colds when you were growing up, but not both.

If you can remember which parent you shared colds with, and if it was your mum, then you can go and visit your dad with a high confidence that he won't catch your cold (even assuming that you are still infectious).

Best wishes
 marsbar 30 Oct 2015
In reply to Wicamoi:

That is really interesting.
OP Bob Hughes 31 Oct 2015
In reply to thread:
Thanks everyone for the responses - I really appreciate it. In the end I woke up feeling very fluey yesterday and decided it was best not to go. I'd warned dad the night before that I might not be able to make it and he understood. In the end I feel much worse today so I think I made the right decision. It is a shame - I'd really wanted to watch the rugby with him. The good news is I have another trip planned in early December anyway so hopefully I'll be better by then.

OP Bob Hughes 31 Oct 2015
In reply to Wicamoi:

That is interesting. From memory I believe I shared colds with my mum. Which is a bummer because I could have gone to visit my old man...
 stu7jokes 03 Nov 2015
In reply to Wicamoi:

That's elegant, but I'm not sure it's correct. As I understand it, we inherit parts of our MHC from both parents. There's even some evidence to suggest that we prefer partners whose MHC complements our own so that our offspring inherit immunity to a greater range of infections. Maybe things have moved on since I last looked at it, though.
 JJL 03 Nov 2015
In reply to Wicamoi:

I don't think that is correct. Although it is a while since I graduated in immunology and virology.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...