UKC

destinations for climbing for beginners in Spain?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ClareP1 29 Oct 2015
I am planning a trip to Spain in March next year with my friend who is a beginner. I have climbed in the Costa Daurada and near Malaga, but would like to go somewhere new that has decent i.e. not polished if possible, easy grades for my friend. Any advice gratefully recevied
 Beardyman 30 Oct 2015
In reply to ClareP1:

The Costa Blanca area has masses of good easy stuff. Sella was great but I suspect that will be polished now (not been for 12 years) tho there are tons of other crags in the area. Best to fly to Alicante and hire a car.
 Paul Hy 31 Oct 2015
In reply to ClareP1:

Costa Blanca for sure, was there only two weeks ago with a group from novices to F6c+ climbers and we climbed at the same place 50% of the time. get the new book and look for Sierra de Toix, Alcalali, Font d'Axia, Echo Valley 1.5(its called Vall de Guadar in the book). Sella is very polished now in the easier grades but worth a trip. all have easy (VERY) easy walk ins with Font d'Axia being the longest in 10mins, the others are literally on the road side. we were based in Calpe so only 2 mins drive to Toix, but Benidorm (if you have to) is more central. in the mean time get your friend to the local wall and get better so that you'll enjoy it more. hope you enjoy wherever you go.
 LeeWood 31 Oct 2015
In reply to ClareP1:
The Lleida zone is good for March, plenty of choice at all grades at diverse crags within 30mins drive, and if you make the refuge at Abella de la Conca your base - there's climbing within 5mins walk

(But check your trip doesn't clash with one of their Climb Catalunya meets)
Post edited at 14:11
Mccloudy33 01 Nov 2015
In reply to ClareP1:

Just been in Calpe on the Costa Blanca - not polished and loads of easy stuff (from 3's up! - plus loads at higher grades if you need) - take a sport rack plus a light trad set up - fly to Alicante, cheap car hire, good weather. Win!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...