UKC

Fire Piston

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 d_b 30 Oct 2015
I'm thinking of getting a fire piston in order to indulge my Ray Mears fantasies and give me something to do for 20 minutes before giving up and reaching for the lighter when I want to get a fire going.

Has anyone who has used one got any recommendations for good models, features to look out for etc?

Dark-Cloud 30 Oct 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

<Googles Fire Piston>

This one, because it looks nice:

youtube.com/watch?v=UvCB3_KtSz0&
OP d_b 30 Oct 2015
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

It does look very nice. It makes me wish I had paid attention during metal work classes,
 Doad13 30 Oct 2015
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

That looks amazing, shame I no longer have access to a lathe.
 Timmd 30 Oct 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:
It's never too late to learn, once I'm qualified as a Forest Schools leader and hopefully find work doing that next year, I plan on scratching my 'learning how to make things out of metal' itch.

Edit: You only look to be in your 40's ish in your profile picture, you've probably got years to learn that kind of thing.
Post edited at 14:04
 Timmd 30 Oct 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

Flints and strikers and cotton wool are pretty good for lighting fires with by the way.
 tjin 30 Oct 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

You can make one with coper piping, copper end cap, a wood stick and a o-ring.

Interesting methode, but fiddeling with char cloth, try to blow on tinde bundles, etc. Tossed mine and use a lighter. Ok sometimes a firesteel, but that is easier than the fire piston.
OP d_b 30 Oct 2015
In reply to tjin:

If I actually care about starting fires I use a fire steel or a lighter. I'm purely interested in it for a bit of fun.
 Dell 30 Oct 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

A bit pointless if you ask me. As mentioned, steel and cotton wool is way less hassle.
 Trangia 30 Oct 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

Slightly off topic but the bit about most of the little compasses being in a state of navigational confusion made me smile. They must be from the same batch as the two set into the top of a pair of walking poles I once owned which were both well out from magnetic north and 180 degrees out from each other.

Fortunately I never found myself in a situation when I might have had to rely on them.
madmonky 30 Oct 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

I almost think I need to make use of all the steel and brass off cuts I have and get the lathe out again!
OP d_b 02 Nov 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

I got one of the wilderness solutions metal ones. I have managed to produce a smell of burning but no actual fire as I keep loosing the tinder in the piston...

That's OK though, as I said it is more about messing around than trying to get things lit. Fire is why the lord gave us lighters

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...