UKC

Aggressive mountain biker again

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 neil0968 31 Oct 2015
So was at whinlatter last weekend to cycle the north and south loop we were about a third of the way in when we came across a party of 5 bikers taking a rest before the next technical section my mate asked them if it was okay if we went ahead they waved us through just at the end of that section the lead biker from that group caught me made no effort to warn me he wanted to pass .I moved to one side as quickly as i could but as he was riding to fast and aggressively he crashed into my bike made no effort to avoid the crash never apologized and just sped off 3 minutes later he had stopped again to wait for his party of slower bikers.This is now the second time it has happened to me and its starting to piss me off.
You know who you are just respect other cyclists and show some respect.
 d_b 31 Oct 2015
In reply to neil0968:

walking pole through the front spokes should sort him out.
 AlisonSmiles 31 Oct 2015
In reply to neil0968:

Whoever it is, much more likely to be reading single track forum not a climbing one!
 neuromancer 31 Oct 2015
In reply to neil0968:

Surely if he crashed he would have come to a stop?
Rigid Raider 31 Oct 2015
In reply to neil0968:

You're more likely to find him on Singletrack, which is where the trail centre hamsters go to boast.
 ChrisJD 31 Oct 2015
In reply to neil0968:

Pedal faster so they can't catch you !
 Dave the Rave 31 Oct 2015
In reply to neil0968:

Kinnel! This guy gets about!
interdit 31 Oct 2015
In reply to neil0968:

> So was at whinlatter last weekend...

...and you didn't expect to meet assholes?
 Chris the Tall 01 Nov 2015
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> You're more likely to find him on Singletrack, which is where the trail centre hamsters go to boast.

Complaining about trail centre manners on STW will elicit a similar response to a thread on here about top-roping at Horseshoe quarry !
Clauso 01 Nov 2015
In reply to neil0968:

Kill him. Kill him to death... Then celebrate with a nice cup of herbal tea.
 Dark-Cloud 01 Nov 2015
In reply to malk:

Oh my god that's bloody horrendous, people riding at speeds that are just so far out of their skills set, I have seen video of carnage there before but that's nuts.......
 ChrisJD 01 Nov 2015
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

The guy who comes past at 1.51 on the right - nice!
 Andy Say 01 Nov 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

> walking pole through the front spokes should sort him out.

I'd have thought the majority of bikers don't carry walking poles as a matter of course? A bit cumbersome.

Or are you offering a 'contract' (nudge nudge) service?
 d_b 01 Nov 2015
In reply to Andy Say:

Good point. Decent walking poles are expensive too.

Fake bicycle pump with solid steel bar down the middle
madmonky 02 Nov 2015
In reply to neil0968:

If someone is riding like a %&*$ then just make sure you make that crash big enough to cause them issues
 zebidee 02 Nov 2015
In reply to neil0968:
I was out at Glentress yesterday and ended up doing various parts of the blue runs with my girlfriend's 9 year old daughter (other daughter was having a meltdown so they went off to ride some firetrails) and was:

a) impressed with some of the riders who came up behind us and slowed down and waited until we'd either pulled over or were at the end of the run so they just waited.

b) shocked at how aggressively we were passed on some of the trails.

I mean these were blue runs for chrissake! If you're wanting to hammer down something as fast as you can then feck off onto the red or black runs. If you're on the blues you should be prepared to encounter slow/stopped/fallen riders cause that's for novices.
Post edited at 13:31
In reply to malk:

As long as events like that are allowed to take place, all is well with the world.
 neuromancer 07 Nov 2015
In reply to zebidee:

I doubt anyone would disagree.

I think the problem that people have with the weekly "I got passed by someone faster than me and he didn't respect my right not to have my fun reduced by being made to feel slow" thread is that most of them are likely bimbling on the fast red or black runs - and should rightly expect faster competent riders - just like they should expect bimblers or families on the blues.

The reason they don't post on a bike forum is that they would encounter the fast rider fairly saying "if you're going to bimble then you do it in your own time".

If you were to go to whistler and jump on A-Line or B-Line and ride like a granny people would do a lot more than ease past you - you would have blokes tabletopping over you!
 Palmer 07 Nov 2015
In general i think slower riders to should allow faster riders to pass where it is safe to do so . less stress for everyone there is nothing worse than having some one following you closely or being stuck behind some one slow. if the slower party yields to the quicker rider than they only need to stop for a couple of seconds if the faster rider stops they will need to wait a considerable time to allow the trail to clear and will still probably catch the slower rider up very quickly.
overtaking maneuvers in general are pretty unacceptable though unless it can be done without risk to the person being overtaken.
 Oujmik 07 Nov 2015
In reply to neil0968:

I'm an average speed MTBer, I sometimes get annoyed with slow riders spoiling my fun on faster sections but I always try to give them space and I always try to make it easier for faster riders to pass me. However, if the faster rider stops after every section for so long that I repass them they forfeit any right to be annoyed at having to pass me again as far as I'm concerned. Sure, I'll let them through but I'd be pissed off if they were arsey about it.
 steveriley 09 Nov 2015
In reply to Oujmik:

That's a good point actually, there's a certain demographic that likes to 'get their breath back' at every blinking opportunity. I rode the black run at Llandegla on my cross bike recently. I can only remember one bloke finishing his lap ahead of me. My cross bike indeed: it might as well be have been made of straws compared to the 6" travel beasts being rested so regularly. And I'm not posting this for hero points
 blurty 09 Nov 2015
In reply to steveriley:

Quick, impregnate me; you are a cycling god.
 ChrisJD 09 Nov 2015
In reply to steveriley:

Don't think I'd be that happy encountering a bloke pootling down a black run at Llandegla on his cross bike.

steveriley 09 Nov 2015
In reply to ChrisJD:

Well it was midweek and like I say I was ready to pull over ...I just didn't need to. Not much of a cycling god really, and there are definitely blacker black runs.
 ChrisJD 09 Nov 2015
In reply to steveriley:

Just like I (and the OP) don't expect/want people to hammer past riders on blues and easy reds, I wouldn't expect riders to pootle down blacks. irrespective of whether they think they can get out the way.

Sure, they aren't particularly tough blacks at Llandegela, but it is easy to get 30mph + on a MTB on them and you shouldn't be expecting to encountering a cross-bike rider picking their way down, whether you can pull over or not. Unless you are in fact Chris Akrigg (and others like him etc) of course; in which case, I'll get my coat.

But yes, mid-week is better if you 'have' to do it.

And looking down your nose at that 'demographic' who are stopping and having a chat about the fun bits? It's not about the total lap time for us 'lot' - it's why Enduro racing was invented! ..... Total lap times are for the XC brigade.
 Mikkel 09 Nov 2015
In reply to ChrisJD:

Isnt that what suspension is for, so you can run over them?
 neuromancer 09 Nov 2015
In reply to ChrisJD:

The classic excuse of the unfit trail master!
 wintertree 10 Nov 2015
In reply to ChrisJD:

> and you shouldn't be expecting to encountering a cross-bike rider picking their way down, whether you can pull over or not

However, you should always be expecting things such as a fallen and injured cyclist across the track, and if prepared for that you will always be prepared for a slower cyclist?
 steveriley 10 Nov 2015
In reply to ChrisJD:
We're in danger of getting into a 'my fun is more fun than your fun' type argument here (including my original post). One bloke came past me with good grace, I went past several people with good grace. I can only assume everyone had a good day out judging by the nice chats we had in the caff in the afterwards. That is until that bee stung me later.
Post edited at 09:01
 ChrisJD 10 Nov 2015
In reply to wintertree:

> you should always be expecting things such as a fallen and injured cyclist across the track

No, we just ride over them. It's why we have so much suspension.

galpinos 10 Nov 2015
In reply to ChrisJD:

I'm of the "29er hardtail" persuasion so often end up in cat and mouse situation with you lardy downhill types, far faster on the ups, far slower on the downs (cornering is not my forte) but even I am careful on Blacks as I know I am far slower than most (I'm also a total pansy) so am often pulling over for those whose bikes cost more than my car.
 Chris the Tall 10 Nov 2015
In reply to wintertree:

> However, you should always be expecting things such as a fallen and injured cyclist across the track, and if prepared for that you will always be prepared for a slower cyclist?

It's only happened to me once, but I still have the scar on the back of my leg from where some idiot flew off a jump and hit the same deep mud that I'd just skidded off on, closely followed by 5 of his mates, only 2 of whom stayed upright.

Even on a full suss I'd probably go round Llandegla at a similar pace to the cross biker - slower than most downhill, faster uphill and none of this standing around chatting nonsense
 ChrisJD 10 Nov 2015
In reply to wintertree:
> However, you should always be expecting things such as a fallen and injured cyclist across the track

In more seriousness.

Really? in 30+ years of riding I've never had to 'avoid' a fallen biker in the trail, so its not something I 'expect'. Stopped to help many, but they've never been prostate in the riding line waiting to be run over.

Animals on the other hand are a real concern. Especially sheep and dogs. And on Corsica, wild pigs (not boar, big wild pigs!). And more recently in the Peak out on the moors: cows and cows with really BIG horns. Makes for exciting night riding in the fog I can tell you.

Post edited at 10:29
 MonkeyPuzzle 10 Nov 2015
In reply to ChrisJD:

> Really? in 30+ years of riding I've never had to 'avoid' a fallen biker in the trail, so its not something I 'expect'. Stopped to help many, but they've never been prostate in the riding line waiting to be run over.

I believe black runs are specially designed so that if you fall you're catapulted to the safety of the undergrowth, or up a tree out of harms way.
 ChrisJD 10 Nov 2015
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

Exactly !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...