UKC

Boots too big. Will more socks or insoles do the trick?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Liamhutch89 31 Oct 2015
I'm looking to buy some winter b3 boots and found a cracking deal on a used pair in size eu45. I've been to try them on in a shop for sizing and my heel lifted a bit, but in the 44's my toes were a little close to the ends although they didn't feel too tight.

Has anyone found a good solution to making the heels fit better? I'm too poor to buy a new pair.

I was wearing thick merino socks already at the store as I would outside
 neuromancer 31 Oct 2015
In reply to Liamhutch89:

Decent insoles will reduce volume half a size maybe less, you can buy lightweight volume reducers that fit under insoles - problem is too much will lift your heel above the moulded area for it to sit in so you will have to compensate with lacing.
 alexm198 31 Oct 2015
In reply to Liamhutch89:

Hi Liam,

I have a similar situation - I'm about a UK 10 so a 44 is too small for a winter boot as I'm constantly slamming my toes, but 45 can be a little roomy in the heel.

Worth trying a volume reducer to make the heel a bit more snug. Also, bear in mind that in a rigid boot you're always going to get a bit of lift.
 Dave the Rave 31 Oct 2015
In reply to Liamhutch89:
Shove some sheep wool down in the toe ends. It's free on barbed wire fences.
 DaveHK 31 Oct 2015
In reply to Liamhutch89:

Superfeet reduce the volume and also hold the heel well.
OP Liamhutch89 31 Oct 2015
45's it is then, cheers

PeteC 31 Oct 2015
In reply to Liamhutch89:

I had the same problem of heel lift with some Nepal extreme size 45'S. I got some "tongue depressers", padded thingies which go between the tongue and the top of the boot where the laces are, thus reducing the volume without altering the position of your heel. They're really snug with these in: could be well worth a try. I tried thick socks and insoles without much joy.
 LastBoyScout 31 Oct 2015
In reply to Liamhutch89:

Be wary of inner soles - they can lift your heel up and cause it to rub, as I found on a pair of Scarpa Mantas. Had huge blisters after 1 day, took inner soles out, no problems since.
OP Liamhutch89 01 Nov 2015
In reply to PeteC:

This sounds like an excellent idea
 Garbhanach 01 Nov 2015
In reply to Liamhutch89:
I bought a pair of Scarpa boots that were a bit too big on one foot and tried putting a La Sportiva Nepal Evo replacement tongue inside it has velcro which sticks to the cloth fabric inside the boot and made them a bit more comfortable plus more insulation. This and green Superfeet helped.
Whish the Scarpa importers in this country would give us the half sizes that are available abroad, half a size too big might not be a big problem if your feet are the same size but getting a good fit on the large foot can result in a boot way too big on the small foot when you have no access to half sizes and odd sized feet.

http://www.sportiva.com/products/footwear/accessories/nepal-evo-tongue
Post edited at 13:16
 philmitch 01 Nov 2015
In reply to Garbhanach:

If you can't eliminate the heel movement, you could try engo blister patches. There're like Teflon patches that stick to the inside of the boot. I've got them in my b3s and haven't had a problem since.
 cousin nick 02 Nov 2015
In reply to Liamhutch89:

If its causing you real problems, see a podiatrist. A good pod. can do all sorts to make footwear fit better, some of which have been described above, but you can't beat a personal assessment. Believe me, it can make a huge difference. Luckily for me, I'm married to a podiatrist!

N

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...