UKC

Engine woes/bad lifters

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sharp 01 Nov 2015
I've been at the receiving end of lots of ukc machanical wisdom in the past, not quite sure I have a question but sounds like the tappets have gone in my 05 subaru outback. Going to take it into the garage tomorrow but I'm 90% sure that's what it is, seems reasonably common and it's quite a distinctive sound. Got 157k on the clock, FSH and since I've had it I've changed the oil every 6 months/5k without fail, pretty gutted and hoping it's not going to be too costly to sort out. In the absence of a garage it's not really something I'd feel confident trying to sort out myself in the street.

Any suggestions on the most economical solution? The noise gets slightly better when it warms up and either gets drowned out or dissapears when it's reved up. I've run a couple of changes of fresh oil through it and that's not made a difference.
 Mooncat 01 Nov 2015
In reply to Sharp:

Might just need valve clearances doing definiitely worth checking before anything drastic, I think these are bucket and shim type so a bit of a faff but easily doable in a day if you can get the right size shims.
In reply to Sharp:
You may have some luck if you try

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/fuel-oil-additives/wynn...

then new oil and oil filter and

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/fuel-oil-additives/wynn...

Other than that its probably something you need to speak to the garage about.

HTH
Post edited at 12:28
OP Sharp 01 Nov 2015
Thanks guys, hopefully it wont be too expensive, the cycle into work will do me good if nothing else!
 beardy mike 01 Nov 2015
In reply to Sharp:

The trouble with Scoobies is that because they are boxers, to get to the valves properly you basically need to pull the engine. They're not horrendous to pull though and they are tough cars... for all the faffing about though I'd take it to somebody to do - you'll take 3 times the time trying to solve it yourself and could probably nearly earn the money to fix it in that time...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...