UKC

Training with a heart rate monitor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Grim 01 Nov 2015
Looking at training within specific heart rate zones but the range of heart rate monitor products is bewildering! I dont want to get too techy and certainly don't want to pay for a load of functions that I'll never use. From research it appears that 3 manually programmable zones would suffice as I am mainly training for endurance.

Any recommendations for either watch monitors or bike computers that fit the bill would be very helpful.
 Mountain Llama 01 Nov 2015
In reply to Grim.

I use A basic digital cardiosport watch from here http://www.heartratemonitor.co.uk/

It only has 1 zone but came with bike mount and replaceable batteries in both watch and chest strap.

I use it with my existing bike computer, I think I paid 30 pounds or so.

HTH Davey
Grim 01 Nov 2015
In reply to Mountain Llama:

There are few 1 zone monitors around the 30quid Mark. Not looked at the Cardiosport but was considering a sigma model. Most of the longer duration training programs suggest intervals in at least 2 or more zones so hoping to get device with this function without shelling out big bucks.

How do you find heart rate training in regard to performance improvement?

Cheers, G
 BazVee 01 Nov 2015
In reply to Grim:

> How do you find heart rate training in regard to performance improvement?

I use to cycle with a HRM all the time I never improved anything though, what it did allow me to do was not overdo it on the hills and hence allow me to ride slower for longer.
 Dave B 01 Nov 2015
In reply to Grim:

How about a Bluetooth chest strap that synchs with your phone. Aldi £25, or elsewhere.?
 JLS 01 Nov 2015
In reply to Grim:
I wouldnt worry about programmable zones. So long as you get one with a clear display you'll know if you are up or down on the numbers you are trying to achieve. I've got a cheap sigma that displays HR in big digits and has a stopwatch.

If I where going to splash cash I be looking at a Garmin with cadence and HR.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-edge-500-blue-with-heart-rate-and-cadence/

I first got into HR training when it first came out during the Boardman era. At the time it worked great. Felt like a very efficient way to train and good gains were achieved from limited training time. However I was training then from a reasonably high base fitness. Now I'm older and much less fit with more intrest in climbing than cycling, I don't feel I'm at a level where I get as much out of it. I know it sounds like from a low base there should be more potential gains. I think that it was more effective in the past because I could ride for relatively long periods near threshold. Now I just don't have the condition. In conclusion I think it's only going to help you it you are already fairly fit.
Post edited at 15:20
Grim 01 Nov 2015
In reply to Grim:
Thanks for replies...

I'm already reasonably fit, ride a few sportives a year Inc. the Dragon but have signed up for the Devil next year and want to up my endurance and maybe bump up my overall speed as well. It would be a shame to do a ride of that calibre and scrape round and not enjoy it. I could just thrash out some miles over the winter (I know there's no avoiding it!) but wonder if a more 'scientific' approach would add the edge. I'm kinda leaning toward the 1 zone device, thinking that on a longer ride I'll have plenty of time to do the maths but the £75 (and that seems REALLY expensive to me!) 3 zone polar keeps niggling at me.

JLS: I've got a velodrome on my doorstep, are they a usefully training facility?
Post edited at 19:07
Grim 01 Nov 2015
In reply to Dave B:

I did consider bluetooth but as I use viewranger already I thought it might over-complicate things. Maybe better to have a stand alone device with a simple display/zone beeping.

But I'm happy to be convinced otherwise...
 Dave B 01 Nov 2015
In reply to Grim:

It was just a suggestion. I use a polar system. Very exorcise, but generally reliable.
 JLS 01 Nov 2015
In reply to Grim:

I do "train" (ride) on the velodrome, great when the weather is poor. Access isn't always easy here in Glasgow but I can get on for an hour fairly regularly which allows a good session of intervals (10min warm-up, 10x3min efforts with 1min recovery) but a lot of the coach lead sessions are not great for conditioning training.

If you are pushed for time then make that your fall back, quick hour session, whether on the road, track or turbo trainer. You'd not need a HR monitor as it's eye balls out stuff.

In the olden days, as well as the intervals, the session I found most useful were...
Warm-up, 2 hours at just above MaxHR-40beats, warm-down.
Warm-up, 1 hour at just above MaxHR-30beats, warm-down.
The warm-ups, and warm-downs, could be anything from 20min to an hour. Only the bit in the middle was important really.

Mountain Llama 02 Nov 2015
In reply to Grim:

Hi G,

performance improvement? well it depends how fit you are already. For me it was more about being a bit more scientific about my running and mtb so I could accurately measure intensity for pace sessions or just endurance.

for me it was more about using the information to pace yourself for the distance, spotting illness before it manifested it self. The most marked thing was my resting HR 1st thing in the morning fell from 50 odd to 38. If my resting HR was high in the morning then this indicated illness or over training which equals take it easy. I also monitored my recovery which was also a good indicator. I just used an excel spreadsheet to enter the data and plotted graphs, some of the fancy watches do this for you but I am tight

I do not listen to music while running so it was also something to fend off the bordem and take my mind of my tired legs!

You need to find your MHR for starters, suggest you use a few methods to ensure its about right.

Enjoy Davey
 RockingKatja 02 Nov 2015
In reply to Grim:

Had a Polar FT-"something" for a long time. Not cheap, but very happy with it. (Now I'm using a Suuntu for all my adventures.) Good thing is, it measures your OwnZone using your resting heart rate to give you an indicator of your fitness. Don't know how accurate it is, but it surely helped me to see some progress in my fitness.
You can also upload your data quite simply to the polar website and see how long you spent in the different zones and how long you should rest before your next workout. Helped me a lot not overdoing it, like mentioned earlier in the thread.
And finally you can also see your route based on the GPS device in the watch. I quite like that, when I'm exploring new routes. This way I can look up the nice parts I passed while riding and remember them for the next ride.
Removed User 03 Nov 2015
In reply to Grim:

I use one along with programs from "The time crunched cyclist" to give me some workouts during the long Canadian winter. I like using one on the indoor trainer but not outside. Not sure I can say why though
Grim 03 Nov 2015
In reply to JLS:

Just checked out the prices for the velodrome and at twice the price of a climbing wall plus the same to rent a track bike I think it would be an expensive way to train. I'd like to give it a go sometime though.

Reckon I'll stick to hammering round my local trail centre. It's a bit technically lame but I can get 3 circuits done in just over 2 hours which is a great evening workout. Night riding is good fun and doesn't have the 'hamster wheel' aspect of other training methods.

Thanks for the Program tips, having just randomly ridden increasing distances in the past, I think it will focus my training to be a bit more disciplined.
Grim 04 Nov 2015
In reply to Mountain Llama:

Thanks Davey

I'm surprised a heart monitor works when MTBing- I certainly feel like my internal organs are being liquidised and I wouldn't be able to take my eye off the trail to look at the screen!!

Good tip for illness- it's all too easy to get head down crazy about training and forget to listen to yer body.

G
Grim 04 Nov 2015
In reply to RockingKatja:

Yeah, it's a shame that ViewRanger isn't quite up to speed with heart rate monitoring- I can do pretty much all the route analysis I need but would be great to work a few fitness stats into the mix. That said, I'm trying not to get too techy as I'm easily distracted and would end up playing with toys instead of getting on with the grind! It is good to have a library of gpx files to inspire me to get out to the Peak for a burn tho.
Grim 04 Nov 2015
In reply to Removed User:

TCC seems to be way too organised for me, thanx for the suggestion tho

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...