UKC

wierd corvid thing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 toad 01 Nov 2015
I was out on kinder (well, the boggy bit between Rushup Edge and Jacobs Ladder, so NOT Kinder) yesterday and came across a solitary crow sat on a fence post. It was making a noise I'd never heard before - sort of like water tinkling from a metal can. I knew they were great mimics, but I'd never heard something so..unbirdlike coming from a big black bird. Both beautiful and ethereal.

PS. Good job it wasn't around when Mrs T went in the black goo up to her thigh, or it would have learned a whole other set of noises
llechwedd 01 Nov 2015
In reply to toad:

Maybe it had eaten someone's mobile?..
interdit 01 Nov 2015
In reply to toad:
There's many a time I've heard a weird call, grabbed the binoculars and gone looking for the 'exotic' bird making the call to find a solitary crow.

Took me six months to pin the local 'mountain-duck quack' down to the same creatures! - They are very shy birds where I live.
Post edited at 22:30
 felt 01 Nov 2015
In reply to toad:

Then there's the Bloop, the collapsed ice shelf that sounds like an enormous deep-sea monster almost the size of the Eiffel Tower.
interdit 01 Nov 2015
In reply to felt:

> Then there's the Bloop,

Ours do a 'bLOop-bLOop-bLOop', emphasis sort of on the capitalised letters.

Sounds like very loud bubbles rising in a big glass bottle.
 veteye 01 Nov 2015
In reply to toad:

Do Rooks have the same copying quirk?
 d_b 01 Nov 2015
In reply to veteye:

Never heard a rook mimicking, but they are very smart birds. I remember in the late 90s/early 00s all the starlings around my way were singing "nokia". Now they just do car alarms
 veteye 01 Nov 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

In my first years at school a friend had a pet Rook.We were all jealous.
Jim C 02 Nov 2015
In reply to veteye:

Not sure about Rooks , but Starlings are great mimics too

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...