UKC

Denali - kahiltna climbs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Drew52 01 Nov 2015
Does anyone know of a guide book that has info on routes around KIA - Kahiltna airport.
We are climbing Denali and other mountains next year and are looking for some other options at the end of the trip close to the airstrip.

Thanks!!!
 ebdon 02 Nov 2015
In reply to Drew52:

The Supertopo book has descriptions of all the popular shorter alpine objectives around Denali base camp - there is no comprehensive guide book but the rangers will point you in the direction of shorter rock routes that have been developed if your interested in that sort of thing. Doing the bottom few pitches of the harder ice routes is also an option earlier in the season.
In reply to Drew52:

Do them at the start of the trip. I very much doubt you'll have the motivation at the end.

Also the glacier are KIA is way more likely to be in bad condition later in June once you have finished Denali.

Have fun, it's great out there.

Tom
OP Drew52 03 Nov 2015
In reply to Drew52:

Thanks for the info guys. One other thing, which shuttle servjce is best to use from Anchorage to Talkeetna?
 ebdon 03 Nov 2015
In reply to Drew52:

TAT have pretty much cornered the market (we used them), although I'm sure the smaller operators are just as good- its a pretty slick operation
OP Drew52 03 Nov 2015
In reply to ebdon:

Ah, so TAT also offer a shuttle bus service from anchorage to Talkeetna?
 ebdon 04 Nov 2015
In reply to Drew52:

sorry I was in a rush and didn't read your post properly - I thought you were asking about shuttles to the mountains, we hired a car as it was cheaper then transfers (even with leaving it at the airport when we were at base camp for 2 weeks) we had a Canadian citizen with us - I think for EU nationals this would be an expensive option.
 WestslopeColo 08 Nov 2015
In reply to Drew52:

I've used Go Purple shuttle service several times. The operators are a bit eccentric, but nice and the service is reasonably priced.
gopurpleshuttle.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...