UKC

Aylesbury Reccomendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
franklin 02 Nov 2015
Hi All,
In two weeks I'll be coming to Aylesbury for a week for work and I was wondering 1. Do you think I should rent a car if I'm flying into Stansted or should I just use public transit? 2. What is the best bet for climbing some during that week? Big Rock gym? Looks pretty nice. Would public transport get me there pretty easily?

Thanks for the help!
 Doug 02 Nov 2015
In reply to franklin:
Not the best place to be based for a climber, but the local club always used to be both active & friendly & probably still is
http://www.acc.org.uk/

funkyvin1 03 Nov 2015
In reply to franklin:

As far as indoors walls go within a reasonable driving distance (30 mins or so) of Aylesbury, Big Rock in Milton Keynes is pretty good, as is (so I am told, I have not climbed there myself) Oxford Brooke's. You also have walls in Amersham (The Climb) and Hemel Hempstead (The XC) that are both worth at least one visit as well.

Ive never had to rely on public transport so can't comment on how convenient the bus/train routes might be, but if it were me I would probably just hire a car at the airport and save the hassle.
franklin 04 Nov 2015
In reply to funkyvin1:

Thanks for the insight! I probably will hire a car just to have the freedom and ability to go wherever I want. I am a little scared of driving on the left side, but I assume it won't be that bad. Probably check out Oxford and Big Rock. Wish me luck!
 Trangia 04 Nov 2015
In reply to franklin:

I know you are inquiring about climbing walls, bit if you fancy a day's walking, the Chilterns are beautiful for walking particularly at this time of the year with the autumn colours on the trees, and superb long distance views from the escarpment.

Just saying.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...