UKC

Ice climbing Morzine area French alps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alex goodall 02 Nov 2015
Hi all,

I'm heading out to the alps for winter to ski and be a chalet host. I'll have one day a week off and potentially access to a vehicle.

I have never climbed ice before but would like to. Is anyone heading out there willing to take an experienced trad climber on the ice? I can hire gear (axes crampons) I think and may get a day in with a guide but not sure i'll be able to afford that regularly.

Or any advice on how to get started in general? From what i've read climbing with experienced ice climbers is by far the best.

Cheers,

Alex
 tuckey234 02 Nov 2015
In reply to alex goodall:
I was out as a host last season (les arcs)and went out in a similar position with similar intentions. If I'm being honest I didn't find the time, or have the inclination to go climbing. I found I was having to much fun skiing to worry about climbing! What I would say though is that I did bump into a couple of locals or expats at the beginning of the season that said if I fancied it later on they would be happy to take me out but as I say, I was having too much fun on the snow! If you do really want to do it just get chatting to locals as they know best!
Regardless of wether you climb or not it will be an awesome 5 months!
Have a good one!
Post edited at 20:06
OP alex goodall 02 Nov 2015
In reply to Mountain Llama:

Have read that article, thanks for posting though.
OP alex goodall 02 Nov 2015
In reply to tuckey234:

Cheers, I'm sure it will be great fun. I can't wait to ski but I see this as my best chance to learn the skills of Ice climbing, and i'm also maybe staying for summer too!
 dannymil 25 Nov 2015

Hi Alex

I've been based out there for the last few seasons, there are some great routes, but after last seasons poor conditions I'm heading else where for more reliable ice. If you need any help with finding venues or trying to find partners give me a shout.

Danny
 Guv 02 Dec 2015

I'm heading to morzine for a weeks skiing.
I'm a climber that skis!!
fancy meeting up?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...