UKC

Rat saga turns interesting!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 girlymonkey 02 Nov 2015

So we moved into a house in May, which we soon discovered had a longstanding rat problem under the floors and in the loft. After many months of battling it with the help of the council rat lady, we finally declared ourselves rat free a couple of weeks ago. We were sure that we had found where they were getting in and had blocked it up with large amounts of concrete. So this evening I heard noises again in the loft, Mr girlymonkey went and checked, and found the remainder of a fresh scull and a scrap of fur in a trap. So it seems that we have some sort of predator up there now too! Maybe stoat or weasel? I can't wait to see what we get next!

Anyone else had interesting wildlife in the house?
Post edited at 23:05
 Neil Williams 02 Nov 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

We've got mice and a squirrel in the Scout hut loft...
Clauso 02 Nov 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

I've got loads of penguins in my biscuit jar.
 Timmd 02 Nov 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:
You could put cameras up there to see what's happening?
Post edited at 23:18
 SenzuBean 02 Nov 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

We had dozens and dozens of slugs over many months (but no snails) entering through some unknown hole in the house. They are all unceremoniously flushed down the toilet (which is a macerator). They seem to have stopped - so either we've killed them all, or they have some strange pattern to their movements (maybe the seasons?). I've bought silicone and just need to survey the outside, wait for dry weather - and plug all the gaps.
Moley 02 Nov 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

Squirrels have a liking for lofts, check for any possible holes under the eaves and trees or branches near the roof giving access?

If they are up there, you are better off without them.
 veteye 02 Nov 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

Does your loft conjoin with the next door neighbour's loft? Is it possible that your neighbour's cat has access to both?
SomeFool 03 Nov 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

Have bats in the attic and starlings under the eves, sometimes get the odd refugee field mouse who sneaks in. A good idea is to use steel mesh with any cement when blocking a rats access point, feckers can eat through just about anything. I'm live and let live with the birds and bats though.
 Scarab9 03 Nov 2015
In reply to SenzuBean:

> We had dozens and dozens of slugs over many months (but no snails) entering through some unknown hole in the house. They are all unceremoniously flushed down the toilet (which is a macerator). They seem to have stopped - so either we've killed them all, or they have some strange pattern to their movements (maybe the seasons?). I've bought silicone and just need to survey the outside, wait for dry weather - and plug all the gaps.

I had a slug problem in my last house. It was horrible. It was bad enough coming downstairs in the morning and finding half a dozen in and around the sink dead, but worse coming down in the middle of the night for a drink half asleep and finding them all over the kitchen :-/
Took a few weeks of leaving salt surrounding everything to eventually kill them all. I theorised they came in as eggs in a a potted herb plant I got from the supermarket. urgh. won't buy them again.
OP girlymonkey 03 Nov 2015
In reply to Moley:

Well, if it is eating the rats, I am not sure that I mind it being there! We will check for other droppings and see if we find any that look squirrelly.
In reply to veteye:

We do cojoin with the neighbour, but he doesn't have a cat. He also doesn't think they have been in his side, he's not heard or seen any evidence of them.
 Queenie 03 Nov 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

Couldn't it simply be a spot of rat-on-rat devouring? It's all food to them.
In reply to Queenie:

We wondered about that, but apparently they only do that if really starving. We have loads of poison there, which they are eating, so it seems unlikely. It is also louder now than it was before, so either a monster rat, or other predator
 jkarran 03 Nov 2015
In reply to SenzuBean:

Slugs spontaneously generate, I'm sure of it. The little buggers used to get in past a salted floor, crawl over my draining board then either die in my homebrew dregs or escape again leaving only their slime behind. I suspect some came in round the pipes and some may have come up them.

girlymonkey: Could your predator just be hungry rats?

jk
 Greasy Prusiks 03 Nov 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

Hahaha great post. It's like that childrens rhyme about the woman who swallowed a bird to catch a spider that caught the fly ect!

http://www.poppyfields.net/poppy/songs/oldwoman.html

Are you going to be the UKC version about girlymonkey who had a rat then got a stoat to catch the rat, who got a weasel to catch the stoat...

... who got a tiger to catch the wolf ect ect.

mick taylor 03 Nov 2015
In reply to Queenie:

Good point. In my last work we had big rat problem. IIRC, our rentokill bloke said that a sign of almost eradicating them is if you find a half eaten rat - means they got down to the last 2 and one ate the other.
 Sealwife 03 Nov 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

I get a selection of wild-life, dead and alive in my house. None of it comes in voluntarily. It is all there courtesy of a large, ginger cat who drags in his conquests through the cat door.

In recent weeks I have had the pleasure of dealing with mice, voles, shrews, rats, starlings and hares. Some of these have been dismembered, others have been alive and kicking. I'm getting quite good at hunting the damn things myself, though the morning i spent demolishing part of a kitchen cabinet and laying trails of weetabix to catch the live starling which disappeared down behind the kitchen sink is not one I wish to repeat. Nor is the live rat behind the fridge (despatched by me and a large broom). Shudder.
m0unt41n 03 Nov 2015
In reply to jkarran:

I have the same problem with slugs.
They somehow appear in the utility room, despite me having sealed up every gap or crack I can find.
Still have not seen where they get in.
 Martin W 03 Nov 2015
In reply to jkarran:
> (In reply to SenzuBean)
>
> Slugs spontaneously generate, I'm sure of it.

Slugs have perfected teleporting technology.

In reply to Sealwife:
> (In reply to girlymonkey)
>
> I get a selection of wild-life, dead and alive in my house. None of it comes in voluntarily. It is all there courtesy of a large, ginger cat who drags in his conquests through the cat door.

Homo sapiens has yet to develop a technology to reduce predation by domestic cats...

...oh, no, hang on, it's existed for years:

http://www.rspb.org.uk/makeahomeforwildlife/advice/gardening/unwantedvisito...

Get it a bell or a beeper collar.
 Dave Garnett 03 Nov 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

> It is also louder now than it was before, so either a monster rat, or other predator

Hmm. So, what do you think it will eat when it runs out of rats?

Tidying up very late after a Hallowe'en party at the weekend I saw a huge rat on the bird table lit by the outside lights. I then spent an hour playing American sniper from the closest bedroom window at 3.30am.

The Lemming 03 Nov 2015
In reply to Clauso:

> I've got loads of penguins in my biscuit jar.

How do they get the wrappers off?
 MeMeMe 03 Nov 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

Frogs, we've got frogs.
Granted our house doesn't currently have a roof and it's been empty for a couple of years or so but they were literally coming out of the walls...
 LastBoyScout 03 Nov 2015
In reply to Sealwife:

> I get a selection of wild-life, dead and alive in my house. None of it comes in voluntarily. It is all there courtesy of a large, ginger cat who drags in his conquests through the cat door.

Our cat occasionally brings things in, either alive or dead. Came down yesterday morning to both a dead blue tit and a dead mouse in the kitchen, which has never happened before. I'm getting good at catching the live ones, although rather not repeat the chase round the living room when she brought a live rat in or when the mouse got behind the kitchen units and we had to lay traps. At least the dead ones are intact, apart from missing a few feathers.

Chap that worked for me once phoned in and said he wouldn't be coming in that morning, as he'd come back from holiday and found a nest of rats living in the walls of his fridge!
 LastBoyScout 03 Nov 2015
In reply to Martin W:

> Get it a bell or a beeper collar.

We gave up after the 3rd collar went AWOL.
 LeeWood 03 Nov 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

We have edible dormice (loir) rampaging in our loft - not uncommon in France. They look like small grey squirrels and v cuddly with it but if actually approached (cornered) they show just how wild they can be.

We recently had a rat infestation in an old stone wall. It started with crunchy noises as they chewed up and made nests with expanded polystyrene but then they began entering our sacred internal space and we were forced to react with poison.

The sequel was not expected. About 3wks after they were vanquished, the house filled up unseasonally with fat blue-bottles (ugh) . *Some* of the rats came out to die and were disposed of; got it?
 Jacob Ram 03 Nov 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

Rats are very partial to eating each other . The fact the corpse remains intact in a snap trap ,is my indicator the rat problem is almost over!
In reply to LeeWood:

We had the bluebottles a while back from a body under the floor, the stench was properly hideous!
In reply to m0unt41n:

I hadn't realised so many people had slug problems, glad we don't have that one too!
In reply to Jacob Ram:

I'm not so sure, there are now bigger droppings too
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Rats in the wall of the fridge?! Yuck! At least ours are confined to the loft and underfloor :-S
 Queenie 03 Nov 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

Eeek...could it be a...

<dun-dun-duuuun!>

SUPER-RAT?
 Timmd 03 Nov 2015
In reply to Queenie:
The other criminals will soon kill it off?

Oops wrong kind.
Post edited at 16:05
SomeFool 04 Nov 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

Could be Pine Martens? Not sure how widespread they are in the UK though, have plenty here in Ireland.
 graeme jackson 04 Nov 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

You could invite Michaela Strachan to come and film it. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Michaela Strachan.
 rj_townsend 04 Nov 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

I recently had to club a rat to death in the bathroom, using a wok. Grim, grim, grim...
 The New NickB 04 Nov 2015
In reply to Moley:

Has anyone else noticed a real abundance of squirrels this year, they seem to be everywhere. Pretty much guaranteed to see a couple in the garden any time I look, plus crossing the road, running down the street. Suburban area, but close to a wooded river valley.
 nniff 04 Nov 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

We have a hierarchy of pests. The trouble is, that Pest the First is the cat. He brings in rats (at least we hope he brings them in rather than ambushing them as they cross the floor). Mostly he kills them. Sometimes they don't die well (sprays of bold up the walls). Sometimes they get away and hide. Then it gets exciting and sometimes messy.

This morning's offering was a clean kill - a very large rat

He has also managed a squirrel, several wood pigeons and, most surreal of all, a bright green parakeet. Mice and fledglings are a bit passé in his eyes now, I think.

You can usually tell when there's a rat in the kitchen because the dog looks edgy and the cat looks a touch uncomfortable.

The cat has four bells on its collar that make 4/5ths of F-all difference
 Babika 04 Nov 2015
In reply to nniff:
Respect to your cat!

Sounds awesome

Have you thought of auditioning for that BBC series Hunted?
Post edited at 14:59
 Rob Naylor 04 Nov 2015
In reply to The New NickB:

> Has anyone else noticed a real abundance of squirrels this year, they seem to be everywhere. Pretty much guaranteed to see a couple in the garden any time I look, plus crossing the road, running down the street. Suburban area, but close to a wooded river valley.

Yep, our cat's caught and killed several this year. First time ever. Evidence of the last one, only last week, was him sitting in the utility with what I'm sure woluld have been a huge cheesy grin on his mouth, if I could have seen it for the big bushy tail hangin out of it! Still not sure whether he swallowed it in one or whether that was just the last bit!
OP girlymonkey 04 Nov 2015
In reply to graeme jackson:

Well...my Dad has bought a wildlife camera to see if we can find out where they are coming and going, and what is coming and going! We are.charging the batteries now, and await a show tomorrow morning hopefully!
OP girlymonkey 04 Nov 2015
In reply to rj_townsend:

That really is grim! Yuck!
 WB 04 Nov 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:
I feel your pain.
After 2 years of effort. We are 61 days rat free...
OP girlymonkey 05 Nov 2015
In reply to WB:

2 years?! I really hope it doesn't take us that long! What strategies did you use to get rid of them?
 starbug 05 Nov 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

We used a wildlife camera to film the animals in our loft, Presumably you are using one with Infra red lighting, if so try and site it a couple of feet back from the target area you want to film otherwise the IR lights tend to wash out the images.
 WB 05 Nov 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:
I know!
We started by blocking up any external gaps where they could enter the house. Then laid traps, then poison. We had some success with this, but the break through came when a neighbour told us some history of the house, so we lifted some floorboards and found an old soil pipe they had broken through! So my only advice would be check everywhere for places of entry.
62 days rat free...
damhan-allaidh 05 Nov 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

4 jackdaws came down the chimney once and spent the day in the house with 2 cats. Everyone survived.
 oldie 05 Nov 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

Had mouse problem in our first house, it was terraced and mice could come between houses via underfloor space and lofts. Both mice and rats can climb vertical brick walls. The mice also seemed to use stud wall cavities as evidenced by droppings within them.
Underfloor space entry appeared to cease after extensive underfloor treatment with dry rot fluids for masonry and wood.
 Toerag 05 Nov 2015
In reply to SenzuBean:

> We had dozens and dozens of slugs over many months. I've bought silicone and just need to survey the outside, wait for dry weather - and plug all the gaps.

Yeah, good luck with that! I siliconed all the way round the edges of the plywood subfloor and tiled floor on top in my kitchen but we still get them . Drives my missus mad with their trails.
 3leggeddog 05 Nov 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

I have gone through almost a full (1.8kg) tub of poison blocks in a fortnight, loads of bright blue turds in their hiding places. Fingers crossed...

The problem is the birds, feed them and they sing a happy song, telling the rats where all the free food is.
Moley 06 Nov 2015
In reply to The New NickB:

> Has anyone else noticed a real abundance of squirrels this year, they seem to be everywhere. Pretty much guaranteed to see a couple in the garden any time I look, plus crossing the road, running down the street. Suburban area, but close to a wooded river valley.

They show a lot at the moment as they have been scoffing the hazel nuts and now acorns and burying them for later. I think they had a good breeding season as well. Little blighters.
Rigid Raider 06 Nov 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

My colleage in Nigeria found a rat swimming around in his toilet.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...