UKC

Which is the best climbing club to be in.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Senior_Social_Worker 03 Nov 2015
If you like clubs.
The CC looks good if you want amazing huts, but I get the impression that most members are not really in it for climbing with other members.
The FRCC also has great huts, but I get the feedback that it can be cliquey, and a bit into hut polishing.
The Ruksack again has great huts but do they climb much?
The Wayfarers do not appear to do much climbing.*
Local clubs seem to get newbies, who want people to teach them and then many seem to clear off, so members seem to spend time teaching people, but then not get much in return.
So which is the best club if you are a climber, but also like a club to be a bit clubby.

*I know people from all the above clubs, and think they are top people, so not an attack or slight on any of the clubs, just what my inpression is of them.
 d_b 03 Nov 2015
In reply to Senior_Social_Worker:
Local clubs are kind of useful as a source of climbing partners if all your mates have abandoned climbing and had kids, but you end up spending far too much time babysitting beginners on their first multipitch if you aren't careful.

And as for the politics: Kissinger was right.
Post edited at 10:27
 PaulTanton 03 Nov 2015

I dont agree with your comment about the CC. I've been a member for a couple of years and met loads of people to climb with. I've been to a hut on my own and always found a climbing partner.
Local clubs are good. Im im the Harrogate club. Nice and social, i've met quite a few people to climb with.
The CC are selective about new members. You must be a climber. But I think that's a good idea. The FRCC have a different policy on this, but Im not a member.
 Doug 03 Nov 2015
In reply to PaulTanton:

I think there's a clear difference between local & national clubs & you need to think about what you are looking for. And even the 'national' clubs tend to have a focus, so FRCC (at least traditionally) was focused on the Lakes, the CC on North Wales (although not really true anymore) & the SMC on Scotland. Much to be said for being in both a local club & a national club
 Misha 03 Nov 2015
The CC is what you want to make of it. If you want to meet other keen climbers operating at a decent level, you will - just go on meets, use the club Facebook page or simply chat with people in the huts. That's what I've been doing and have met some great people to climb with.

summo 03 Nov 2015

Chamoix MC has the hut next to the beacon wall, I think they had/have a policy of a years probation on prospective members, as they want active 'club' participants, not those looking for free climbing lessons and / or cheap accommodation. It really depends what you want and where you wish to climb. They do overseas trips as well.
 Ramblin dave 03 Nov 2015
In reply to summo:

It's a difficult one - we all love to moan about "wall bred climbers" who "don't understand the traditions of British climbing" and "want indoor climbing outdoors" and who consequently go and stick bolts where they shouldn't, but then we'd also rather go and do something interesting than spend all weekend dragging a nervous beginner up a load of diffs before they decide that climbing isn't for them and don't show up for anything else.

As a local club who get a lot of newbies, we've recently started slightly raising the bar a bit for newbies on trips. I've always hated the "you must start indoors" attitude, but insisting that they start off by getting competent belaying a leader indoors does seem to help - it filters out some of the easy-come-easy-go crowd, and also means that when you get them outdoors you can do a bit more with them because you've got some idea of how well they can climb and how well they can belay.
 GridNorth 03 Nov 2015

I believe the CC has the best spread of huts. Scotland, The Lake District, The Peak, Pembroke, three in North Wales and Cornwall. Not sure where you get the idea that members are not really interested in climbing with other members. Most people I climb with are in the CC and you couldn't wish to meet a more welcoming group of people. There are of course the odd cliques but most are very friendly. Some meets are specifically arranged so that different climbers can climb together and they are organised at venues all over the world. Some of the meets I have been on are not only great climbing trips but also fantastic social events.

Al
 summo 03 Nov 2015
In reply to Ramblin dave:

I agree, by an active member, I also meant they turn out for cleaning or DIY weekends etc.. they put something in, not just take out. A club needs a mix of people, the climbing ace, the person who doesn't mind taking a few people showing them the ropes, but also the low grade steady eddy, who happens to be good with plumbing or electrics!
 Simon Caldwell 03 Nov 2015

> Local clubs seem to get newbies, who want people to teach them and then many seem to clear off, so members seem to spend time teaching people, but then not get much in return.

This is exactly the reason why our club doesn't take complete novices who want to learn to climb. We point them in the direction of a suitable course instead.
 aln 03 Nov 2015

The one that's having the most fun.
 pebbles 03 Nov 2015
Iv met loads of new climbing partners thru the cc. There are new members meets specifically aimed at helping new members find other cc members to climb with as well as "mix and match" meets where sociable sorts can meet up and climb with new partners, and people also often hook up thru the club Facebook group. But not everyone is comfortable climbing with new partners so I guess it just depends who you meet...takes all sorts as they say . I suspect everyone's impression of different clubs is quite inaccurate and formed on the basis of a comparatively small sample of the members who they happen to have bumped into
 paul mitchell 03 Nov 2015
In reply to pebbles:

The Mynydd club has a Welsh hut and has just been to the Dollies.Pretty active.Also has a mountain bike contingent.Based in Hayfield.
 Bulls Crack 03 Nov 2015
In reply to summo:

The old Beacon wall that is!
In reply to Senior_Social_Worker: You do need to bear in mind the very different size of different clubs.
The CC is just HUGE, as such there are, as you say, loads of members who aren't clubbable in the least. Conversely there are probably twice as many who are extremely outgoing and just keen to climb with whoever is around. It is very easy to stereotype CC members based on a small sample of those you may know, but the many hundreds of other members are guaranteed to be completely different. The club has members of every outlook and ability.
I am happy to confess that I rarely go on organised club meets but three new climbing partners this year have all been other CC members. Just being in the same club helps you find people to climb with even without going on formal meets.

Thank you for the replies. The CC seems to get mentioned most and positively so would seem. some, CC members use UKC. FRCC, RC and WC do not really seem to get mentioned which is surprising, I was hoping someone would leap up and say that the FRCC is a top bunch of climbers with everyone running of and climbing together, as TBH I have always fancied being in the FRCC.
But then it may just be FRCC, RC and WC are all busy climbing and do not use UKC.
Anyway thanks for the feedback.
 Ramblin dave 03 Nov 2015

> FRCC, RC and WC

And the Pinnacle Club (in new hats)...
 Chris Sansum 03 Nov 2015
In reply to GridNorth:

Yep, I've met up with a few random folk through the Climber's Club to climb (including Al, who replied earlier!), and have found each to be very reliable partners. The regular meets the club organise are also a good way to meet partners. And as you mentioned, the huts are great. Membership has become a bit expensive recently, but apart from that my experience is all positive.

One difficulty in relation to meeting climbing partners through a national club is that people tend to be spread out all over the place, rather than close to your home town, so sharing lifts is less likely. Local clubs on the other hand seem to be full of people who want to go rambling or other activities rather than climbing, and also seem to be getting superceded by other ways of meeting partners - eg Facebook and WhatsApp groups, climbing centres, UKClimbing etc. Not sure if there is a perfect solution, but the CC is the best available club for my purposes.
 nastyned 03 Nov 2015

All the Wayfarers' club meets I go on I climb if the weather permits, and I know there are quite a few active climbers in the club. Quite a few that don't climb too mind.
Wiley Coyote2 03 Nov 2015

Given a choice between the CC and FRCC the CC is a much better bet. Both clubs have over 1,000 members so this is a bit of a sweeping generalisation but in my experience the CC membership is younger, keener and more active. Its huts are also better distributed

That said, the FRCC huts are far superior.
 cathsullivan 03 Nov 2015
In reply to Ramblin dave:

> And the Pinnacle Club (in new hats)...

Confused about the hats? I don't have a new hat so am worried now that I might be expelled.
 Andrew Lodge 03 Nov 2015
In reply to nastyned:

I would agree with this, I think like many clubs WC has climbers and non climbers
 Ramblin dave 03 Nov 2015
In reply to cathsullivan:

"And sight to remember, An Alpine Club member! In very large crampons and spats."

http://monologues.co.uk/Sport/Idwal_Slabs.htm
 3leggeddog 03 Nov 2015

It depends on what you want really.

Good social scene and readily available partners, then local club.

National network of huts, CC

Good huts in Gods own county, and of you like a bit of DIY, FRCC

Breasts, Pinnacle Club

Haggis, SMC
 Jim Hamilton 03 Nov 2015
In reply to Chris Sansum:

> Local clubs on the other hand seem to be full of people who want to go rambling or other activities rather than climbing, and also seem to be getting superceded by other ways of meeting partners - eg Facebook and WhatsApp groups, climbing centres, UKClimbing etc. Not sure if there is a perfect solution, but the CC is the best available club for my purposes.

Not my experience of local clubs, lots of very keen climbers. Climbers can be members of several different clubs if they want to maximise climbing opportunity.
In reply to Jim Hamilton:

> Climbers can be members of several different clubs if they want to maximise climbing opportunity.

I would dispute that you can be a 'member' of several different clubs, you may join and pay subs to avail yourself of the benefits of several clubs, but in my mind a 'member' puts something back in, I think that is why a club up thread mentions a probation period and the reason for the FRCC joining protocol, I know a few who have failed to get in the FRCC.
 3leggeddog 03 Nov 2015

Not sure about that, I am on the committee of my local club and lead a few meets a year. I also lead a cc meet each year. Member of both by your criteria.

Must say I feel more of a member of my local club, mainly because I see them more often.
 Roberttaylor 03 Nov 2015

I have been looking into this a lot recently and came to the conclusion that the best bet was the CC. Best huts (in terms of number and location), best spread of members (geographically) and they seem to have a pretty good level of motivation (from the limited number of CC members I have met). I know one member and have spent one night in one of their huts as his guest .

Now all I need to do is get to know another CC member who will back my application.

R
In reply to 3leggeddog:

Thats 2 clubs, not several and in my book I would say that your being an active member of both.
 Wsdconst 03 Nov 2015
In reply to summo:

Hey,I'm a low grade steady eddy,and also a builder should I join a club ?
 spragglerocks 03 Nov 2015
In reply to Roberttaylor:

Robert, get yourself on an aspirants meet if you need people to sign you up - http://www.climbers-club.co.uk/meets/?event&ref=207
Designed for you to climb with other members so that they can propose and second you if you don't know enough existing members.
 summo 03 Nov 2015
In reply to Wsdconst:

> Hey,I'm a low grade steady eddy,and also a builder should I join a club ?

I'm sure they'd appreciate your skills on a renovation day or weekend! Everyone has something different to offer. Most clubs offer fantastically cheap accommodation in great places, but they don't maintain themselves.

Misha 03 Nov 2015
Go on an aspirants meet, always good fun, meet new people, free food and beer in the evening as well!
 Misha 03 Nov 2015
Also the CC is fairly easy to join, you only need a supporter and a seconder and you can get them by going on two aspirants meets or just arranging to climb with someone who is in the CC - sounds like you know a few people already or PM me.
 Roberttaylor 04 Nov 2015
In reply to spragglerocks:

I meant to earlier this year but I work a slightly odd pattern...I'm at sea for 4 weeks then ashore for four weeks. Which is great as it means I get 6 months climbing time p/a but it does mean a lot of weekend stuff is out.

What I was thinking of doing is posting on the CC facebook page once I'm back (18th November) and seeing if anyone fancies a couple of days of climbing.

Also, missing Xmas, new year, my birthday and most of my mates birthdays this year but swings and roundabouts.

R
 Misha 04 Nov 2015
The public page doesn't really get used. (There's an active members only page) It's often possible to go on meets as a prospective member by prior arrangement with the meet leader (depends on how busy the meet is etc). So have a look at the meets list on the website, see if you can make any and take it from there. Some meet leader details are not listed on the website (there is a members directory which members have access to). In that case, email the meets secretary Steve via the contact us on the website and he will put you in touch with the meet leader.
 Jim Hamilton 04 Nov 2015
> I would dispute that you can be a 'member' of several different clubs, you may join and pay subs to avail yourself of the benefits of several clubs, but in my mind a 'member' puts something back in, I think that is why a club up thread mentions a probation period and the reason for the FRCC joining protocol, I know a few who have failed to get in the FRCC.

Assuming you mean join a committee etc, most climbers who are a member of just the one club probably don't 'put something back in' so I don't see why multiple club membership should be particularly frowned upon.
Post edited at 13:56
 Shapeshifter 04 Nov 2015

I'd put in a shout for this lot...

http://www.lancashirecavingandclimbingclub.co.uk/home/

Some meets organisers even lay on free cake for attendees - luxury!!
 Babika 04 Nov 2015

SAKMC - they're brilliant
Senior_Social_Worker 04 Nov 2015
In reply to Shapeshifter:

But looking at the meets list https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=lancs.climber@googlemail.com... that will not involve much cake.
 Shapeshifter 05 Nov 2015

Early days on the meets calendar for next year youth, but there's usually one very weekend. Have a look back at the 2015 meets and you'll get the idea.
 Puppythedog 05 Nov 2015

I think the CC is a great bet. We have more and more meets being organised. I've met with different people and climbed with new people each time I go on a meet.
Senior_Social_Worker 05 Nov 2015
In reply to puppythedog:

I think I will give the CC ago, looks easy enough to join.
 Mike Highbury 05 Nov 2015
> I think I will give the CC ago, looks easy enough to join.

You'd better like dry-tooling.
 Dave Stelmach 05 Nov 2015

The Royal Navy and Royal Marines Climbing Club is the best.
Monthly meets around the UK
International expeditions
All levels of climbing
Wall competitions and league
Around £10/year membership

Of course, you have to enlist to join, or be a relative of a serving or retired member of RN or RM, or join RNR or RMR!
 GridNorth 05 Nov 2015
In reply to Mike Highbury:

> You'd better like dry-tooling.

Because......?

Al
 Misha 05 Nov 2015

> You'd better like dry-tooling.

That's an odd comment. There are CC members who go dry tooling (like me) but I would say the proportion of toolers in the CC is no higher than in the general active climbing population. It's a minority branch of climbing after all.
 Mike Highbury 05 Nov 2015
In reply to Misha:
> That's an odd comment. There are CC members who go dry tooling (like me) but I would say the proportion of toolers in the CC is no higher than in the general active climbing population. It's a minority branch of climbing after all.

Hi, it was you I had in mind when I wrote it.

Mx
 stratandrew 05 Nov 2015

I joined a club because when i decided to take up climbing six years ago at the age of 40 i didn't know a single person in my entire universe of people who was a climber. I opted for the KMC (Karabiner Mountaineering Club) http://karabiner.org/ which is a Manchester based club with about 160 members. Through this club and meeting other mountaineers I've also ended up joining the Alpine Club and FRCC. Clubs are just great. If you want to have the best of both worlds then consider the advice from an earlier poster - join a 'national' club like the AC, CC or FRCC and a local, smaller one where it is easier to get to know people socially as well.
 Misha 06 Nov 2015
I'll take it as a joke then. Yes, the last few routes in my log book are tooling - it's the season for that now, got to get strong for winter!

Going by the CC people are know, the focus tends to be on trad and to a lesser extent sport. There are some keen winter climbers as well.
 Ron Kenyon 06 Nov 2015

Interesting and important topic - I was involved with starting the Eden Valley MC in 1974 and have been a member of that ever since and now have many friends and associates and climbing pals through that Club. This is a local club for experienced climbers, walkers and mountaineers but also many people have been introduced to the crags and mountains through this club - we regularly have "wall to crag" sessions

I am also a member of FRCC, CC and AC (and SMC) - the more national clubs - I am currently president of the FRCC. These by their nature are on a national scale with members throughout the country and the world. CC is traditionally based in Wales and FRCC in the Lakes - but now the activities are much wider with meets and also huts.

Looking at the CC and FRCC on the face they appear similar - the CC as the "label" says is for climbers - though many will go walking (I was at Riasg hut in the summer and one guy was out that day off up another Graham). The FRCC is fell and rock with a mix of climbers and walkers - ie overall as the "label" says it is a mix.

There is quite a spread of ages (in both clubs) from 18 to "ageless" - by the very nature of the members they are active outside and in generally probably grow older.

Both clubs own a fair number of huts and cottages - the FRCC has 5 huts and 3 cottages in the Lakes - and two huts in Scotland - the CC has 7 huts from Count House (in Cornwall) to Riasg (at Roy Bridge) - not a "bad timeshare system"

There are a number of ways of meeting other climbers - with meets and huts being the more direct way. Often one goes to a hut for an evening and meets some other folk there and have a good crack with them and this can be the base for a future friendship - or at least a nod of recognision next time you meet.

Getting into local clubs (EVMC etc) is usually straightforward - often come along and join in.

Getting into the FRCC and CC is somewhat more convoluted - as need to ensure the prospective members are of a ability to be happy to be on the fell and crags and share huts with. Want folk who are keen but willing to share and experience the club. The FRCC is reviewing its system of joining - it is a bit more convoluted than CC. The FRCC wants to see an involvement with the Club - such as going on meets; hut maintenance; guidebook work - it should not just be a timeshare system - though many may treat it that way.

Again many people's lives revolve around the meets list; huts; guidebooks - though many have limited involvement over the years.

Which is better - CC and FRCC ? Not quite like butter and margarine. The FRCC has a wider spread of interest throughout climbers and walkers and mountaineers - with CC more focused on climbers. Both have a lot of very active and keen members who get out onto the crags and fells. There are local groups in these national clubs - and these are being developed.

If however you want a purely local club then look to the likes of EVMC.
Senior_Social_Worker 06 Nov 2015
In reply to Ron Kenyon:

Hi Ron,
thanks for that great well informed reply, like I said the FRCC is the club I am most drawn to.
 Misha 06 Nov 2015
In reply to Ron Kenyon:
The CC is certainly easier to join (just need competence on 'adventurous' routes, a proposer and a seconder, both need to be members for at least two years) and there is no expectation for people to get involved with meets, hut maintenance or 'club life' (some people do but that is up to them, so if someone joins just for the huts we have no issues with that).

We have 8 huts by the way, albeit 3 of them close together in North Wales (2 within a 5 minute walk in fact) - but certainly 6 very diverse locations between the 8 huts. Only one in Scotland unfortunately.
Senior_Social_Worker 06 Nov 2015
In reply to Misha:

> and there is no expectation for people to get involved with meets, hut maintenance or 'club life' (some people do but that is up to them, so if someone joins just for the huts we have no issues with that).

>

That seems a bit odd to me, why join a club, if you do not want to get involved at all. I thought that was what a club was about, a group of like minded people all working together towards a common goal. If you get to many hangers on, will that not ultimately drag the club down?
 Misha 06 Nov 2015
I know what you mean but it is what you make of it. Some people will take the same approach as you and go on meets etc. Others will just use the huts with existing climbing partners who might or might not be in the CC. Along the way they may well meet other people to be friends with and go climbing with. So it's up to our members to 'get involved' and it comes down to individual personalities and how many other climbers they know already. We can only encourage people and provide the means for people to 'get involved', the rest is up to them. The reality is that we need people to be members and use the huts (even if they don't 'get involved') as otherwise the club wouldn't be financially viable

So if you are looking for a club where you can meet new climbing partners, go on meets and so on, you will find that in the CC for sure - we have 1,700 members after all. At the same time, many of those 1,700 members won't be that involved other than using the huts now and then.
 alasdair19 07 Nov 2015

its best to join the alpine club cause it winds up even mild mannered Swiss folk who are only members of the sac, dac,OeAV etc etc.

it's also good for filling book shelves!
 Ron Kenyon 07 Nov 2015
In reply to Misha:

Sorry about the number of huts - should have checked in handbook.

The commitment to be involved is not huge but good to have some involvement and part - rather than just paying your sub and taking. One area is hut maintenance - these huts don't just run themselves - the wardens are much involved and a group of helpers and once a year a meet for each hut. I have been mainly involved with guidebooks so not much with hut maintenance. Others are keen to help with huts and other aspects of the club and gives a better feeling of ownership - rather than just a time share.

At the end of the day getting out onto the crags and fells is the objective - but being part of a Club and being involved with it adds to that.

As a slight aside - not sure how many of you I will see on Great Gable tomorrow for the Remembrance Service - as you may know Great Gable and eleven other mountains were purchased by the FRCC in member of members who died in WW1. Looks like it is going to be wet !!
 Mick Ward 07 Nov 2015
In reply to Ron Kenyon:

Wet or not, it's good that you will be there.

'They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.'

mick
 Sean Kelly 08 Nov 2015

> Now all I need to do is get to know another CC member who will back my application.

Go on one of the Aspirant Members meets, then you will have no problem getting to know CC members.
 GrahamUney 08 Nov 2015
In reply to Ron Kenyon:

Thanks for this detailed reply Ron. I think I'm tempted to look into joining the EVMC. I've always liked the idea of joining the FRCC too, so might have to look at the criteria for that as well.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...