UKC

Kinesio Tape/Rocktape for Shoulders

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MarcusP 03 Nov 2015
So the phyisio this morning suggested taping back my shoulder to help alleviate an impingement, and some lingering post-op pain. Has anyone tried this before? Any concrete evidence that it is useful (I'd almost settle for a reliable placebo effect.)

....or is this voodoo quasi-medicine, designed to sell punters £10 rolls of neon tape?
cb294 03 Nov 2015
In reply to MarcusP:

Can help, depending on the exact cause of your impingement.

CB
 petegunn 03 Nov 2015
In reply to MarcusP:
I have bursitis in my shoulder and found that having the tape on does take the pressure off. Helping to pull back my shoulders and to stop me from slouching. It does ache after a while.

Do the physio with a light elastic band (therma) though and maybe a few push up (on your knees) : )

If you search ukc there was an article with recommended uses of the elastic bands
http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=119

Keep an eye out in Aldi as i got my tape for a few quid.
Post edited at 14:22
 gd303uk 03 Nov 2015
In reply to MarcusP:
KT tape does work.
Firstaid4sport is a good place,
it might be worth investing in a support like this .
http://www.firstaid4sport.co.uk/Shoulder-Supports-CSUPPORT70/
Post edited at 14:53
 RockSteady 03 Nov 2015
In reply to MarcusP:

I've had the tape for shoulder impingement. In combination with physio, it seemed to work a bit. But it also reacted a bit with my skin, leaving ridiculous red stripes for several days after removal and permanently slightly drier skin. Physio said doesn't usually/ever happen, so maybe I've just got a soft back!
 mark s 03 Nov 2015
In reply to MarcusP:
Psuedotape

The bloke who invented it was into all other unproven medical practises also.
 gazhbo 03 Nov 2015
In reply to MarcusP:

Can I ask what op you had. I had an acj reconstruction with a screw about 6 months ago and to say I've got lingering post op pain would be an understatement. I was doing really well for 3 months and have gone downhill rapidly with no apparent signs of improvement.

Prior to my op though, I was heavily reliant on tape for climbing. It definitely provided support more than a placebo. I had the op so I wouldn't have to rely on tape for ever but that seems to have backfired.
 Lurking Dave 04 Nov 2015
In reply to MarcusP:

Sub-Acromial decompression and removal of bursa for me in May 2015.

Posh tape did V. little to help pre-op and nothing post.

A foam roller and lacrosse ball deep in the lats and traps 15 minutes 2x a day worked really well, to release tight muscles pulling in odd directions.

Stabilisation exercises (banded pulls, kettle bell press etc. ) to get the muscular coordination working. Then using weights to get strength back (deadlifts, bent over row etc.)

Six months on and I am getting strong again - still mobilising on a foam roller twice a day (as little as 30 seconds.

Good luck
LD
 jsmcfarland 04 Nov 2015
In reply to MarcusP:

Tape won't do anything. At the end of the day you are essentially giving the structures it is supporting a free pass to carry on being weak and painful. If you don't address the underlying causes of the pain then it's exactly the same as taping you finger to provide 'support' and crimping away the same as before.

That's my 2c
Removed User 04 Nov 2015
In reply to MarcusP:

Kinesio taping works for me, but have someone qualified apply the tape.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...