UKC

Help needed - Winter boot choices

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 r1ch79 03 Nov 2015
Im sure this has been asked many times and I also know that the top two responses will be pick the boot that fits and pick the boot that is most appropriate for the type of use you require it for however whilst I can be pretty sure about fit I am less able to anticipate what boot will suit my needs regards what I want to do.

I am starting out in Winter walking and climbing and want a boot that can take a good walk over a few days whilst also being able to take a C2 and allow me to build winter climbing and mountain skills.

I have looked at 4 boots and the onyl advice I have received has been from people trying to sell me them.

Money is obviously an issue but the priority is getting the right boot.

I am looking at the below and have outlined some of my concerns for each boot

Scarpa Manata Pro - Is this more a winter walking boot or is it a serious winter climbing boot?

Mammut Monlith - Is this boot weatherproof enough for UK (Wales, Lakes and Scottish) Winter conditions or is it too lighweight and "leaky"?

North Face SK4 - As this doesnt have a full rigid sole is this sufficient for climbing or is it just a poor cousin of the SK6 which will be soon found out as I try to progress through the Winter climbing grades?

Trango Cube - Will this boot also be found out in UK winter conditions given the sodden wet and cold conditions we get

I really like the Scarpa Manta but I dont want to get a boot that is great for cold wet walking and winter scrambling but gets found out once you start to try to climb?

Please help I have whittled my choice down essentially to thses four but does anyone have any experience with these or other boots that could be what I am looking for?

Ysgo 03 Nov 2015
In reply to wannabeagoat:

I'd say all the boots mentioned are good at the same thing i.e. Autumn and Winter walking, scrambling, crampon walking, steep crampon walking, short bits of ice climbing (single pitch, low grade). Some are better at one bit or another. My thoughts:

> Scarpa Manta Pro - Is this more a winter walking boot or is it a serious winter climbing boot?

It's probably the most solid of the 4 you've suggested i.e. best for extended crampon use. It is however the heaviest and clumpiest so the least dextrous. Less suitable outside of Winter. By far any away the most weather proof and durable of the 4.

> Mammut Monlith - Is this boot weatherproof enough for UK (Wales, Lakes and Scottish) Winter conditions or is it too lighweight and "leaky"?

The lighter weight boots rely more heavily on the Gore lining. Once it's gone, that's it. Ok in Summer and Spring walking too, but a bit stiff for me.

> North Face SK4 - As this doesnt have a full rigid sole is this sufficient for climbing or is it just a poor cousin of the SK6 which will be soon found out as I try to progress through the Winter climbing grades?

None of them have fully rigid soles...? The S4K is a great boot for bits of everything. I've used them as a Summer walking boot in the highlands, on the Mer de Glace, a small amount of ice climbing, and for long technical scrambles. Not a poor cousin of the S6K. A completely different boot for a completely different job.

> Trango Cube - Will this boot also be found out in UK winter conditions given the sodden wet and cold conditions we get

Very lightweight. Less supportive than others, I'd suggest more of a scrambling boot which you can occasionally attach a crampon to. Great in Summer and Spring, but not for Winter Climbing by any stretch.

> I really like the Scarpa Manta but I dont want to get a boot that is great for cold wet walking and winter scrambling but gets found out once you start to try to climb?

Sounds like it's the most suitable at the moment. However in 2 years time will it be right? If you get more heavily into the climbing side of Scotland in Winter would you have been better off biting the bullet and getting a B3 in the first place? Some of them are as comfy to walk in as a B2. Salewa do some which soften for walking and stiffen up for climbing (use and allen key in the sole). Scarpa Rebel Ultra has a very soft upper for comfort and dexterity, but are insulated, and B3? La Sportiva's Trango Ice Cube looks to be the same sort of thing.
 Pina 03 Nov 2015
In reply to wannabeagoat:

If you're planning on progressing with winter climbing, get some B3s. They're not that uncomfortable and will last you without you having to upgrade a year down the line and having to shell out again. B2s can be pretty cold depending on the boot as they're not as insulated as B3s (as a general rule) so if you're sitting around belays and what not and have poor circulation you can get pretty cold feet in winter.

If you're really set on getting B2s, get something lightweight which can then get relegated to an alpine summer boot (i.e. scarpa rebels).

Just my two cents.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...