UKC

Anyone recommend a hotel room workout?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Graeme G 04 Nov 2015
I' m trying to refind my enthusiasm for the hills and want to improve my fitness. Unfortunately my job means i spend about 20 weeks a year stuck in hotel rooms, not usually with access to a gym.

Has anyone ever used a workout which can be adapted to any room with no equipment. PS i've googled and there's loads, just want to see if anyone has any advice.
 JamButty 04 Nov 2015
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:

Why does it need to be confined to the Hotel Room? Can you not get out into the local countryside for a walk/run/cycle?
Does a national type gym eg Total Fitness not allow access to all their locations?

Admittedly I don't spend much time in hotels, but when I do, I preplan what I'm going to do beforehand
 mav 04 Nov 2015
Don't do it as often as you, but overnights for me usually mean a pair of running shoes, shorts and t-shirt in the suitcase.
 ebdon 04 Nov 2015
In reply to mav:

Currently suck in a hotel and have just done a couple of reps of the core workout in Steve House's book (minus the front leavers), this is pretty good for general core stuff.
Graeme G 04 Nov 2015

In reply to Thinking

Local countryside can be locations i'd rather not be out in on my own in the dark. Pre-planning difficult as can be called away at short notice. Thinking hotel room would be ideal as i often need to put in hours of work in the evening, as much as 5 after a full 9 to 5 shift. That way no matter where i am, and how much work i have to do i can still fit 15 to 20 minutes in without worrying about extra gear.
Post edited at 13:06
 Neil Williams 04 Nov 2015
When away with work I tend to concentrate on running - there are few places you can't do that in some form. It is also a very nice way of exploring whatever place you have been sent a bit. Other stuff can wait until I come back, but if you do want to do "resistance" stuff as well there are always bodyweight exercises like press-ups, sit-ups, squats, burpees and the likes.
Post edited at 13:12

> Local countryside can be locations i'd rather not be out in on my own in the dark.

Run in the town then
 Bobling 04 Nov 2015

Wasn't there a famous con who developed a workout routine? Convict Conditioning or someting? Should fit the bill.
 LastBoyScout 04 Nov 2015
In reply to mav:

Either that or swimming kit and find local pool.

HIIT training. Google/YouTube a man called Joe Wicks aka The Body Coach.,
 fmck 04 Nov 2015

I tend to pick hotels with a gym as I do an hour each morning in my garden gym at home. I do still go for a run in the evening or morning while away staying in hotels. I also don't eat from hotels while away as its generally no good. I make porridge in the morning by adding boiling water(kettle) and leave it covered for 5 minutes to set.

Resistance band exercises are good for hotel rooms but there are a whole host of different ones to choose from on you tube that will work.
 Owen W-G 04 Nov 2015

iOS App - Yoga Studio
Graeme G 04 Nov 2015
In reply to Neil Williams:

> Run in the town then

Sometimes they're worse!
Graeme G 04 Nov 2015
In reply to Bobling:

> Convict Conditioning or someting? Should fit the bill.

Oh god yeah. Regardless of the content the title is absolutely spot on ;-(
 jonnie3430 04 Nov 2015

Surprised that no one has mentioned insanity workout? Simple, good, smash it out! You need to get the dvd from somewhere but that and a tv is all you need (literally, you are in a hotel room after all...)
Graeme G 04 Nov 2015
In reply to jonnie3430:

Seen it advertised. Looks a bit mental...and possibly injourous for someone my age.....but thanks

I travel with work a lot, and have rarely been anywhere that isn't reasonable close to a bouldering wall, or a climbing wall with bouldering section. Generally have fingerboards etc etc too.
Even in far flung bits of China I've managed to find some kind of grubby bouldering "centre". some I've stumbled upon have been absolute gems which I go back to whenever I'm in town. One of the climbing centres in Singapore is outstanding for example.
Are you off to postings where this isn't possible?
Graeme G 04 Nov 2015
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

> Are you off to postings where this isn't possible?

Yes, and no.

It's more about finding out what exactly I want to get back in terms of fitness and i think it has to be just general hill fitness. Bouldering has never really done it for me, but then neither does indoor exercise of any kind. For me it was always just about being outdoors.

The evenings can also be complicated by expectations of who you eat with and how much work you do. That's why i'm thinking something which gives me a quick 20 minute blast to boost the system might work better. No need to get changed into 'special' equipment, which i would also have to remember - forgot my shoes once! That's £90 i won't get back....

Thanks all for replies. Like the idea of a yoga app and maybe a dvd as I'll always have a laptop with me.

There's always the Stones Tribute hotel workout: couple of hookers, large bag of coke, throw the TV through the window and set fire to the bed. Repeat nightly until a major blood vessel pops, or your serotonin levels become undetectable.

The problem with most indoor workouts, though, is that they're generally being pushed by people who make money off them (I've looked into this myself, as I'm often stuck in one place on call for weekends and nights), so getting decent, objective advice can be near-impossible. I did go through a phase of isometrics, which definitely made me feel stronger, but did bugger all for my climbing. They're also really dull, and do little to give you a post-exercise buzz. I do suffer from a lack of focus with training, though.

If you're going to be cooped up, what about looking at getting an old Concept ergo? Get your heart rate up, blow off some cobwebs and maybe reduce the stress of being stuck in a room.
 nniff 04 Nov 2015

If you have a car with you:
1- Bouldering kit and go to a local wall. Fat boy breakfast and a pint and a packet of crisps for dinner
2- Take a bike and get in some miles in the evening or before breakfast. Not good if you're in the middle of a very large city, say, but then the climbing wall option applies. I slowly consume road atlases a page at a time like this.
3- take some running shoes. Good for most places - although Stockholm in the snow was pushing a point for me a bit I decided. Options 2 and 3 enable you to see parts you would otherwise miss. Hence I've been to Barcelona many times, but never seen it.
4. pick a hotel with a location that has more to offer than just being close to the office. Work-Life balance is important
 ChrisBrooke 04 Nov 2015

I do this a couple of times a week in my lunch hour for general conditioning and to wear away some of the pies. You'll need wifi (youtube) youtube.com/watch?v=NGhZUc00YhE&

Otherwise get a simple timer app for your phone and create a HIIT or tabata style programme. Check out the fitness blender channel on youtube for inspiration of exercises to do. All body weight stuff, no gear, but a yoga/exercise mat is useful.

Dr.S at work 04 Nov 2015
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

If the hotel has stairs, do reps of the stairs, pretty good for hillwalking in a big hotel.
 ByEek 04 Nov 2015

> Has anyone ever used a workout which can be adapted to any room with no equipment. PS i've googled and there's loads, just want to see if anyone has any advice.

Dancing used to be my thing. I used to schedule works trips around dance nights in the local vicinity. Do you not have access to leisure facilities etc when you are on the road. The thought of doing a workout in a hotel fills me with horror. Talk about making the best of a prison like situation.
 ScottTalbot 04 Nov 2015

Theres a great wrist workout. You don't need much space, just access to the hotels adult chanel...
 Cú Chullain 04 Nov 2015

Get yourself a door sling, they pack down to nothing and are great for a workout in the hotel room.

http://www.variosling.de/en/sling-trainer-info-en.html

THere are other makes cheaper then the above but the link gives you an idea of what they are about
 galpinos 04 Nov 2015

Think like a prisoner, train like a prisoner.....

http://www.cell-workout.com/

Postmanpat 04 Nov 2015

> I' m trying to refind my enthusiasm for the hills and want to improve my fitness. Unfortunately my job means i spend about 20 weeks a year stuck in hotel rooms, not usually with access to a gym.

> Has anyone ever used a workout which can be adapted to any room with no equipment. PS i've googled and there's loads, just want to see if anyone has any advice.

I use the 7 minute workout but do it several times. Plenty of different muscles worked and aerobic and anaerobic benefits.
 Cú Chullain 04 Nov 2015
In reply to Postmanpat:

> I use the 7 minute workout but do it several times. Plenty of different muscles worked and aerobic and anaerobic benefits.

You sound like one of those Chuck Norris 'informericials'
 StefanB 04 Nov 2015

I have found Mark Lauren's bodyweight routines excellent for this. Plenty of variety and no gear required. The app is very good (so is the book):

https://www.marklauren.com/apps.html

The Tabeta HIIT mode is very convenietn for a quick guided workout.
 jonnie3430 04 Nov 2015

Don't do yourself down, it just makes you raise your heartrate for 30 mins and exercises muscles, anyone can and should do that. The amount or style that you do any of the exercises is down to you and your body.
 GridNorth 04 Nov 2015

Just ask the Concierge I'm sure he will sort something out for you.
 Shani 04 Nov 2015

Confined spaces lend themselves to strength training more than fitness but you could pull together a circuit of:

10 x Squat-thrust Burpees
15s x Handstand/10xHSPUs
10 x Pistols Left Leg
15s x L-Sit
10 x Pistols Right Leg
15s x Planche Variation
Rest 2 minutes and then repeat three times.

If you have a small table, you could pull it out and do body levers on the underside.
 Postmanpat 04 Nov 2015
In reply to C£ Chullain:

> You sound like one of those Chuck Norris 'informericials'

Careful, you know what Chuck can do to you.....
Graeme G 04 Nov 2015
In reply to StefanB:

Possibly a daft question, but would I need wifi for the App to access the videos?
 StefanB 04 Nov 2015
> Possibly a daft question, but would I need wifi for the App to access the videos?

They are downloaded to the device. So after the initial installation of the video add-on (which requires wifi due to the amount of data) the app works offline.
Post edited at 16:47
 Philip 04 Nov 2015

I used to make sure I picked hotels with a pool and gym. I'm moving company, and even though it's still director level, I'm expecting as a bigger company I'll lose control of choosing the hotels. Not looking forward to the lack of fitness facilities. My travel is always outside UK so national gym is no use.

I reckon a fitness podcast / video is you best option. In the privacy of your own room you woudn't need shoes or even gym clothes (not going into detail). Just make sure you put the Do Not Disturb sign outside the door.
Graeme G 04 Nov 2015
In reply to Philip:

Similar situation in that I have no control over which accommodation, even had to share a holiday cottage once!

Good advice with the Do Not Disturb...,could give the domestic staff nightmares
 barbeg 04 Nov 2015
In reply to ebdon:

Hi Ebdon......

You may want to re read your post and adjust accordingly.....

As it was, I was going to suggest the obvious to the OP if he/she was accompanied.....

LOL.....

ANdy
 Matt250 04 Nov 2015
I spend a fair bit of time in hotels with work and it's not always possible to take running stuff or have time/place to get out for a run so I do various combinations of the following:

Yoga salute to the sun + other yoga to warm up a bit
sets of burpees - probably the best bit I think, if you just do loads of burpees you'll have a good workout
lunges
diagonal lunges
squats including holding the squat position
press ups
crunches/sit ups
the plank

I mix up all of the above but I find burpees the best to get the heart rate going, and you can do something even if you only have 10 minutes spare.

The other thing is there is a free Nike + training club app which has loads of workouts on which vary in length and quite a few don't require equipment. I would highly recommend this for hotel rooms and short workouts. It is 100% marketed at women, although the workouts arent women specific, so if you have issues with your masculinity then keep it hidden on your phone!

It's definitely worth doing something even if you've not got much time!
 JJL 04 Nov 2015
Is "hotel room workout" a euphamism?

In reply to ebdon:
> Currently suck in a hotel

Oh, it seems it is.

There used to be one of the armed forces (air?) that had an 11-minute workout that ramped up. Once you could do the level in 11 minutes you went to the next. It was highly effective but, boy, do I hate back curls.
 JJL 04 Nov 2015

http://fit450.com/HTML/5BX_Intro.html

Found it
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Yeah, done that as well. The thing about running is that from the point of walking out of the door to the point of walking back in you're exercising - it is very time-efficient.

Particularly if all you're carrying is your room key, I doubt as a runner you'd be threatened in most places where you're likely to find hotels in the UK or indeed any other European country. (You're not off to somewhere in the Middle East or something, are you? If I were I'd be wanting a hotel with facilities )

Neil
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

There is an app that does that kind of thing for you, something like 13 minute workout but I forget.
In reply to Matt250:
> I spend a fair bit of time in hotels with work and it's not always possible to take running stuff

Whyever would it not be possible to take a pair of trainers, shorts and a couple of T-shirts? It's not as if running kit takes up a huge amount of space, so even if you're on hand luggage only you should be able to fit it in (and if not you might want to consider a bigger bag!)

Though that aside I personally nearly always check in a bag, usually a medium trolley case or if more appropriate to the destination a rucksack. Even as a frequent business traveller (I write this from a hotel at the moment!) I don't get the business travelling obsession with travelling super-light and rushing around so much that 10 minutes at the luggage carousel actually matters, while if your employer penny pinches over 10 quid each way for a bag I'd question whether they are the right one.
Post edited at 17:58
 damowilk 04 Nov 2015

I like the workouts on the iOS app Sworkit pro.
 fmck 06 Nov 2015
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

> I do this a couple of times a week in my lunch hour for general conditioning and to wear away some of the pies. You'll need wifi (youtube) youtube.com/watch?v=NGhZUc00YhE&

> Otherwise get a simple timer app for your phone and create a HIIT or tabata style programme. Check out the fitness blender channel on youtube for inspiration of exercises to do. All body weight stuff, no gear, but a yoga/exercise mat is useful.

That link is really good and would be the ideal solution. I tried it last night in the bedroom and was really impressed how quickly seemingly simple exercises could have that effect. The star jump was tricky as it was a loft conversion. It did get busy with the kids joining in and the dog trying to lick my face but that shouldn't be a problem here.
 MrJared 06 Nov 2015

http://www.buzzfeed.com/sallytamarkin/see-the-world-and-exercise-all-over-i...

Its from Buzzfeed (shocking I know) but actually some good ideas on here. Mix and match your exercises!
 ChrisBrooke 06 Nov 2015
In reply to fmck:

Glad you liked it. Like I said, a lot of the stuff on their channel is good. Like any session of that nature, it's as tiring as you make it, if you put the proper effort in. I do it at my studio at work and can't jump quite as high as I might, but you adapt

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...