UKC

Climbing Holds

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Graham72 05 Nov 2003
Hi,

I've recently built a climbing wall and am looking for the best holds to buy.

Had a look at bendcrete and enterprises and they seem a tad bit expensive.

Anybody know were else I can buy them?

Cheers
In reply to Graham72: http://www... are a small outfit based in Sheffield.

Cheers
daveP 05 Nov 2003
In reply to Graham72:

don't buy bendcrete they're shite (in my opinion)
David Holden 05 Nov 2003
In reply to Graham72: Make your own out of food. Cheap, fun to do, provides additional training if you use handtools.
m@ 05 Nov 2003
In reply to Graham72:

I'm bored of doing this, but here goes;

www.holdz.co.uk

m@
Ian Dunn 05 Nov 2003
In reply to Graham72: Holdz are excellent value their screw ons are really good. Some of the Beacon range are good too.
Entre-Prises are ok for small and medium but their screw ons break way to easily compared with holdz.
Scouse D 05 Nov 2003
In reply to Graham72: Those indoor rock holds look like the one's used in the matrix wall in Sheffield. In my opinion these are very nice holds.
Scouse D 05 Nov 2003
In reply to Graham72: just looked at holdz site-they also use these in the matrix. These are nicer...
David Holden 05 Nov 2003
In reply to David Holden: Should read.....

Make your own out of wood. Cheap, fun to do, provides additional training if you use handtools.
m@ 05 Nov 2003
In reply to Nick Smith:
> (In reply to Graham72) http://www.indoor-rock.co.uk are a small outfit based in Sheffield.
>
> Cheers

I didn't realise they still made websites so badly!

m@
daveP 05 Nov 2003
In reply to Scouse D:
> (In reply to Graham72) Those indoor rock holds look like the one's used in the matrix wall in Sheffield. In my opinion these are very nice holds.

yeah i think "indoor rock" is/are the same as dan french's "french rock".
David Huber 11 Nov 2003
In reply to Graham72:

For some great holds try VOODOO climbing holds, they're a little expensive but well worth it (good texture, no-slip backs, multifunctional). If you're simple looking for a good deal, check out MORGANIC climbing holds or ATOMIK climbing holds. If you email Lance or ken and talk to them, they'll usually cut you a deal; we got all our hardware for cost from them in addition to some great starter holds for a good percentage off the normal pice. Another company that doesn't have the greatest p.r. but great and inexpensive holds is OTT-SIX climbing company, I think I like there screw-ons better than any company I've bought from and I've bought from most. For OTT-SIX, you might have to email them and ask for info on all there holds because they are not all usually posted. PUSHER climbing holds has a few good holds but they suck for costumer service and there holds are super brittle and over priced (small screw-ons and foot jibs blow). Of course there is always NICROS and METOLIUS but both are way over priced and don't even think about them cutting you a deal. The last company worth mentioning that I've delt with is X-SILVER. This company has copied some great holds from nicros, pusher, etc. and sells them for a lot less. That said, Dan, the guy who runs the company spent a couple months trying to rip off my partner and I on the trade we made with him for some gear; still, good holds.

My personal ranking of climbing hold companies:
1.Voodoo Climbing holds (just really good holds)
2.Morganic Climbing holds (good starter holds, great prices, environmentally concious, and the best prices you'll find if you're will to email them and tell them your situation).
3.Ott-Six Climbing holds (Best screw-on holds out there in my opinion)
4. X-Silver (If you don't have any trouble with the owner ripping you off, you'll be really happy with the holds).
etc.etc.

Check out ebay for links to these companies if you can't find them on google.

hope that was not too long and helps you get started.
Dave H.
domk 11 Nov 2003
In reply to David Holden:
> Make your own out of food. Cheap, fun to do, provides additional training if you use handtools.

interesting, what kind of food is best? i would think pasta would be good for small crimpy holds (assuming you dont cook it). What about some cheese holds? or would they be too soft?
 Matt 11 Nov 2003
In reply to Graham72:
I found wagerholds were by far the best option when I was building my wall. He uses more sand than some other makers so the holds are coarser, more like sandstone than limestone, but good nonetheless. There are better designs out there but he still has plenty of variety and you might be able to sort out a deal if you speak to him. He may even have some seconds or old stock on the cheap.

http://www.wagerholds.com/
Pete W 11 Nov 2003
In reply to David Huber: Do you have any links to Morganic, Ott-six and x-silver+

Thanks, Pete
OP Anonymous 11 Nov 2003
In reply to Pete W: Simple Google search with "company name" followed by "holds" in 30 seconds found (not rocket science):-

www.voodooholds.com
www.morganicclimbingholds.com
www.ottsix.com
www.atomikclimbingholds.com
Pete W 11 Nov 2003
In reply to Anonymous: You are of course right; lazy git here thought it´s nice to make contact in an indirect way with someone else on RT. Oh well. Is it Morganic or Organic climbingholds. I support what you said about Voodoo we have bought nearly their entire range over the last year; they are head and shoulders more innovative than their more established contemporaries. Pushers service is simply none existent. Other good names we have bought from statesside is Stone Age & Teknik (Canada) If someone is interested in holds but is prepared to wait a month for delivary THE UNCARVED BLOCK from Australia are really great and cheaper because the Australian Goverment have an export polcy by which there is no VAT to encourage home industries abroad.
OP Escher not logged in 11 Nov 2003
In reply to Pete W: Sorry mate that was me with the google search, did not mean to (or perhaps should not have) spread around some bad karma. FWIW my favourite holds on my wall are the Pocketz (not found anything else similar by other manfacturers) and Gritstone Edgez from Holdz and their prototype Crack is really good too. For smaller stuff I really like the Ben Moon power holds. Really nice pinches and crimps with the best texture I have found for this size hold - the smallest sizes are really hard whereas the medium ones are just about perfect. You can get a good selection from one place at the Planet Fear shop http://www.planetfear.com/shop/index.html?category=8#8.

Quite like the look of that crack system from wagerholds.com might have to get me a set of them.

Escher
 gr 11 Nov 2003
In reply to David Huber:

what's the URL to x-silver ???
Tim Wager 11 Nov 2003
In reply to Pete W: Pete, did you not receive the holds I sent you a while back?
Dave Huber 11 Nov 2003
In reply to gr:

Sorry about the incorrect spelling, it is xcilver and the URL is xcilver.com

Dave
 HOLDZ 11 Nov 2003
In reply to Dave Huber:

looks like I'll have to start putting M@ on a commission!

Steve

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...