UKC

Climbing in Croatia without a car

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nutme 04 Nov 2015
Plan is to fly either to Zagreb or Split airport and pull out the trip without a car.
Is it realistic? How good is public transport in Croatia?

Party is thinking to stay in Starigrad and climb in Paklenica national park. But public transport link to over climbing venues would be interesting as well.
 Jack_Lewin 04 Nov 2015
In reply to nutme:

There is a bus from Split to Starigrad, not sure from Zagreb though. In terms of getting into the crags from there it could be possible to hitch. Not sure there's any other way, apart from walking!

I've just passed through Starigrad and Croatia on my bike, met quite a few backpackers who seemed to be doing ok hitching into Paklenica.
 james.slater 05 Nov 2015
In reply to nutme:

Recently got back from Starigrad, climbing in Paklenica, but we did have a car. However i think there are more than enough people driving into the gorge each day to wangle a lift, if you get to the main road heading past the entrance. Or hire bikes in starigrad? It would take a good while to walk into the climbing with a climbing pack from the town...
 Owen W-G 05 Nov 2015
In reply to nutme:

Bus from Split goes right through the little town by the entrance to the park.

Hitching the 5km up the hill is easy peasy as everyone is driving slowly and heading to the same parking destination. We did it every day when we were there, altho in 2003.

Don't bother with car hire
OP nutme 05 Nov 2015
Thanks for ideas. I think we will go with a bus and hiching to park.
 heleno 05 Nov 2015
In reply to nutme:

As an alternative to Paklenica you could consider Omis, just south of Split. Most of the climbing is a few mins walk from the town centre.
 Carless 05 Nov 2015
In reply to nutme:

check about possibilities of flying to Zadar airport - only approx 15km from Starigrad

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...