UKC

Rjukan - February half term information

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Phil Tucker 05 Nov 2015
I haven't been to Rjukan for several years now as it seemed to be far too busy when we used to go at the end of January, so I assume half term will be even busier. The exceptions to this being Mael and Kong Vinter. There is a possibility of a trip in February half term I wondered what peoples experiences were at that time.

Thanks

Phil
 summo 05 Nov 2015
In reply to Phil Tucker:

The youth winter Olympics are in Lillehammer middle of Feb, it could either draw everyone over there, or push everyone away in your direction. Either way, flights, hire cars etc.. could be busy, so book ahead.
 paulmck 05 Nov 2015
In reply to Phil Tucker:

The ice festival is on the 13th/14th February this year which is the first half-term weekend for most schools I think. Might make accommodation for that first weekend a bit tricky and will mean that some of the single pitch climbs in the upper gorge will be busy.
 Mr. Lee 07 Nov 2015
In reply to Phil Tucker:

Last couple of winters have been fairly poor in Rjukan. Could mean less people visit this year or could mean more people visit during the middle of winter when you are planning.
 Alex Slipchuk 08 Nov 2015
In reply to Phil Tucker:

There seems to be to fliers for 2 weekends, anyone know about the following weekend
?

https://m.facebook.com/rjukanicefestival/
 Mr. Lee 08 Nov 2015
In reply to Alex Slipchuk:

They resceduled it a week earlier. Now 12th-14th Feb.
 CurlyStevo 08 Nov 2015
In reply to Mr. Lee:

There seems to be more poor winters (or at least good conditions limited to a few weeks) than good winters in the previous 5 years.

Personally I'd be tempted to go somewhere more reliable, cheaper and easier to book at last minute when you know it's likely to be good.
OP Phil Tucker 08 Nov 2015
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Not my choice of venue, I was out voted. Normally. We have to book early as there are about a dozen of us. However this trip probably only four so last minute may be viable. Any suggestions, we've been to gressoney, ecrins, cone, Dolomites.

Phil
OP Phil Tucker 08 Nov 2015
In reply to Phil Tucker:

Also it's half term week so getting flights probably not easy so think we'll have to book soon.
 CurlyStevo 08 Nov 2015
In reply to Phil Tucker:
There is heaps of Euro ice venues, perhaps mid Feb is a good bet for Norway anyway. Cogne is pretty cheap and doable last minute, although I think a bit earlier tends to be more reliable there. Certainly by end of Feb / March the warm winds can be effecting the area.
Post edited at 20:09
 Mr. Lee 09 Nov 2015
In reply to Phil Tucker:

If there's 4 of you, and you wanted to visit Norway, then you could easily book a cabin ("hytte") last minute. I made weekend hytte bookings with a few days notice all through last winter without problem. The only place where accommodation was harder was Rjukan. You could just book a hire car and decide the venue last minute.

Rjukan wasn't the most reliable place to visit in Norway last year. Many of the venues get limited sun, which is obviously good for ice formation, but there's limited options when the freezing levels are high. Nearly all the venues are relatively low down. Last season in Norway was a bit more like Scotland in that there were generally awesome conditions somewhere but you needed to chase conditions.

Would highly recommend Alta if you were prepared to take an extra internal flight in Norway. Good spread of grades and some really impressive routes for the grade also. Some details on my blog from last Feb. Excellent online guide here: http://oppialta.no/index-is.htm

Oppdal and Sunndal would be a safe bet as you have a big spread of altitudes that are all accessible from the road. Something to climb whatever the conditions.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...