UKC

Most stressful road in the UK?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Babika 05 Nov 2015
My vote goes to the A14

Roadwork's
Lorries heading to/from Felixstowe blinding you with spray
Speed cameras
Too much traffic 24 hours a day

and worst of all.. only 2 lanes

So just when you think you can wind it up to 70 a juggernaut pulls straight out in front of you and spends 10 minutes overtaking at 51mph.

Any other contenders?
 toad 05 Nov 2015
In reply to Babika:

A1(M). And it's bastard parent, the A1. Linear death trap of the worst kind.
 ByEek 05 Nov 2015
In reply to Babika:

I have done the A14 a few times and each time it is pretty grim. I used to do Manchester to Liverpool each day. In the 4 years I did it, there was only 6 months or so where there we no roadworks between the two cities. I now cycle to / from work and the worst it gets is an exceedingly slow driver.
 ianstevens 05 Nov 2015
In reply to Babika:
> and worst of all.. only 2 lanes

How do you cope with only two lanes? As a mid-Waleian, I would kill for a road with two lanes. So, I present the A44, A487 and A470. All single lane, all over-populated with lorries that a) drive at 50 on the flat, b) drive at 15-30 up hills and around bends and c) never pull into laybys despite having a queue of 15 plus cars behind them.

Tourists are even worse, committing all the same offences but without the awareness that they're slow and far more difficult to overtake as they manage to hit 60 on any straight bit of road.
Post edited at 13:50
damhan-allaidh 05 Nov 2015
In reply to Babika:

A57 - over the Snake Pass to Sheffield. I did it 380 times in one year. I met someone at a party once who did the same route and asked (suspiciously) "You don't happen to drive a black VW Golf, do you?". He said, "No, but I know EXACTLY who you mean." I still can't believe people don't die on that road every day (which is good, very good, but unfathomable). Has anyone else commuted that way? Maybe I'm over reacting, but I don't think so.

And do you drive THAT black VW Golf...?
 AlisonSmiles 05 Nov 2015
In reply to Babika:

My personal favourite is the A6 which is the reason I commute on the train or on the bicycle. It sometimes has two lanes, sometimes not, sometimes bus lanes, sometimes not, occasionally bicycle lanes. What it also has are lots of double yellow lines people ignore, which means that when it's meant to be two lanes, it's sometimes not. It also has a lot of right turns which means that sometimes the right hand lane is stopped, meaning it's effectively back to one lane. It has an inordinate number of tipper lorries, and does a good line in buses, which really people (not the tipper lorry drivers) might consider using! Mostly it's a 30mph, sometimes it's not. What it really needs for consistency of speed is to be one lane, and have the other permanently as a bus and bike lane. Half the problem is the constant lane changing required. It does of course have roadworks somewhere along its length pretty much year round. It also has strategic pot holes which dictate quite a few decisions too.
 ericoides 05 Nov 2015
In reply to Babika:

Between the M3 and M40 on the M25 at rush hour when you're in a hurry.
 Toccata 05 Nov 2015
In reply to Babika:

A14 is a good call through frustration and I agree with the A1 - so dangerous.

For traffic reasons A303/30 are up there but I know go at night, especially in summer, so less of an issue. I guess the M25 is a given.

The A82 at Loch Lomond never fails to spoil the day after a good days walking: why can caravans not be confined to the A84 instead? Speed cameras on the A9 are annoying but I'm getting used to it.

I like the Snake Pass and even on a slow crossing enjoy the view. However for and west-east crossing the A65 goes on and on and on. Trying to continually overtake is the stressful part.

But my award goes to the M6 from Manchester to Birmingham. There is always traffic and when not stationary travels too fast and too close for the volume. Worse than any other road I know.
 ByEek 05 Nov 2015
In reply to AlisonSmiles:
> What it really needs for consistency of speed is to be one lane, and have the other permanently as a bus and bike lane. Half the problem is the constant lane changing required.

I know that road very well having now moved to Hazel Grove! There was an article in the paper about how Stockport Council had commissioned a transport report written by experts in their field that recommended just this. This was followed by a line of councillors lambasting it as a joke, a farce, devoid of common sense etc etc. Just what you might expect from councillors I guess. Fingers crossed there is an improvement when the bypass opens in a couple of years time.
Post edited at 14:52
 Doug Hughes 05 Nov 2015
In reply to Babika:
I've travelled most of the above roads (not always at rush hour) without too much trauma, but have arrived at the end of the Loch Arkaig road white-faced and white-knuckled!
 Shani 05 Nov 2015
In reply to Babika:

M1 Jn 27-29 (and arguably Jn25-35).
In reply to Toccata:

I agree with you. I like it, too. Especially on a cold winter morning - everything frosty white and a hint of pale pink in the grey sky. Prefer it even more on a snowy, blizzardy days when all the eejits who drive too fast and overtake on blind bends/summits are parked in ditches while I cruise past enjoying the ethereal winter landscape.
 Tall Clare 05 Nov 2015
In reply to Babika:
My vote is for the A65. Very few safe overtaking places, farm vehicles, people towing caravans, some crazy motorcyclists, and people slowing to admire the view/stare at sheep/watch trains. A combination of these things results in some awful accidents.
Post edited at 15:49
In reply to Babika:

Oooh - I'm so glad that after 35 years 'on the road' I ended up with a home based role a few years back. I've repped over most of the country and have suffered my share of frustration behind the wheel.

The fact that there's no dual carriageway linking Newastle and Edinburgh is little short of criminal neglect by successive governments, as is the lack of a cross country dual carriageway between the M62 corridor and the M8 in central Scotland. No wonder that industries struggle for survival in the far north of England and people continue to drift southwards.

Thankfully I rarely have to go near the A14 these days.

Most of my longer journeys nowadays involve the M6 / M1 and M5 when visiting family 'darn sarf'

I'm looking forward to the day when they finally get the M6/M5 junction sorted and there's not a queue southbound from junction 10. The M6 through northern Staffordshire and Cheshire is in desperate need of upgrading.
 tony 05 Nov 2015
In reply to Tall Clare:

The A65 is the one I thought of. It astonishes me that such a major route has so few overtaking opportunities and is so much at the mercy of traffic that will be going slowly.

Mind you, I do remember one trip from Kendal after the Film Festival a few years ago, leaving Kendal at about 8ish in the evening, and there was no traffic until Ilkley. Since I was only going as far as Burley, I felt I'd hit the jackpot.

Aside from the A65, I'd agree with the M6 from Manchester to Birmingham - truly awful - and then anything further south, just because the roads are so full of cars. It always takes a trip south to remind me just how much more space there is in Scotland.
 3leggeddog 05 Nov 2015
In reply to Babika:

You are all wrong. The answer is travelling north on the cold fell road between 06.30 and 08.30 or travelling southward between 15.30 and 17.30
 marsbar 05 Nov 2015
In reply to Babika:

I commute on the A406 North Circular. Traffic Jams, people cycling on it when they shouldn't, idiots not looking when changing lanes, more traffic jams etc.
OP Babika 05 Nov 2015
In reply to Toccata:

> I guess the M25 is a given.

Nooooh Not at all. You just sit there stationary around Heathrow and wonder what on earth its going to be like when they build the extra runway and another 60,000 jobs are created. Definitely not stressful - quite restful really.

> But my award goes to the M6 from Manchester to Birmingham. There is always traffic and when not stationary travels too fast and too close for the volume. Worse than any other road I know.

Yes - I'll give you this one. It was a close call between that and the A14. I no longer fly from Manchester as I simply can't guarantee whether I'll get there after it was closed on two flight occasions. Stress levels through the roof there.

I've also started sat navving where the police lurk on bridges and pullovers on the M6. They're very predicable and it removes a wee bit of stress.

Gazlynn 05 Nov 2015
In reply to Babika:

The road from Thirsk to Scarborough. I think it's the A170.

Cheers

Gaz
 Rick Graham 05 Nov 2015
In reply to 3leggeddog:

> You are all wrong. The answer is travelling north on the cold fell road between 06.30 and 08.30 or travelling southward between 15.30 and 17.30

Have you been on Corney Fell? Not for the faint of heart.

A75 to Stranraer, my nomination.
 Steve Perry 05 Nov 2015
In reply to Tall Clare:

> My vote is for the A65.

On the flip side it is an awesome road to drive with no traffic.

My vote is for the A9 with average speed cameras running for over a hundred miles and dual speeding - 50mph for trucks, 60mph for cars. Try over taking a mile of traffic when you can only go 10mph average more than the truck holding everyone up, it takes skill and balls.

In reply to Babika:

Can't believe this one slipped my mind - t he road from Inverarish to Arnish on Raasay, especially Calum's bit. not for faint-hearted - or a wide vehicle.
 Toccata 05 Nov 2015
In reply to Babika:

Oh God! I'm reminded of coming into Charlesworth on the Monk's Rd from the A624 and hitting black ice on the steep descent. It only lasted about 10 meters but I really thought that was it.
 goldmember 05 Nov 2015
m56 - between manchester and chester is a pleasure
 FesteringSore 05 Nov 2015
In reply to Babika:

Agreed A14. Used it to get to and from Stansted. A bugger.
 Ramblin dave 05 Nov 2015
In reply to Babika:

This is good fun:
http://www.cbrd.co.uk/badjunctions/

The A1(M) and the A14 do seem to be notably over-represented. The A14 largely because it's a major East-West arterial route connecting the North Sea ports with everywhere North of London but was mostly cobbled together on the cheap out of existing bits of road stuck together with chewing gum and string.
 ring ouzel 05 Nov 2015
In reply to Babika:

I am working on the A9 just now. I heard a report on Radio Scotland where someone said the average speed cameras had slowed down the traffic and there was now little aggressive driving. Utter balderdash!! It is more dangerous than it ever was!! Every day I see nutters try dangerous overtaking moves. Cant wait to move on to another site!
 Greenbanks 05 Nov 2015
In reply to Babika:

M6 Toll - more particularly the dot matrixes which always give traffic conditions for the toll but not the M6...
 ianstevens 05 Nov 2015
In reply to Lord of Starkness:

> I'm looking forward to the day when they finally get the M6/M5 junction sorted

You, me and 99.9% of the world who have the misfortune to travel remotely near it on occasion. Last time I passed through there was a traffic jam at 11pm. Go figure.
 Shapeshifter 05 Nov 2015
In reply to goldmember:

Another vote for the M56 particularly the bit between Warrington and Chester - there's got to be at least 2 accidents a week over the last couple of years with ensuing massive delays. 3 HGV's jackknifed in the last month alone.
In reply to Lord of Starkness:

> I'm looking forward to the day when they finally get the M6/M5 junction sorted and there's not a queue southbound from junction 10. The M6 through northern Staffordshire and Cheshire is in desperate need of upgrading.

Despite being a northerner, and loving all the wonderful country there is in the north, one of the best things about relocating to Somerset is that I haven't been near the M5/M6 junction since*. It, and pretty much all of the M6 up to the Thelwall viaduct, is a routinely dreadful journey (it's just as bad going the other way too).

What chance of a motorway parallel to the A49? It'd be a damn sight more use than HS2 though I suspect the complaints of those through whose locations it might pass would be more justified as well.

T.

* this, alas, means that I haven't been back up north since relocating at the end of summer last year. I shall return, though when we planned this year's holiday a trip to Washington State and Oregon had yet greater appeal. It might nex year too. But I'll get back one day...
 DANNYdjb 06 Nov 2015
In reply to Babika:

all south of Preston!!
mattlee 06 Nov 2015
In reply to Babika:

A628 Woodhead Pass for me !

When they built the M62 it was positioned too far north for those that live in and around South Yorkshire so the only option if you don't want a 50 Mile Detour is to use the Woodhead and "Suck it Up".

Susceptibility to poor weather, lots of slow moving LGV Traffic, and sharp/off camber bends leads to some stupid overtaking and near misses......

Oh yeah, and those traffic lights at Tintwistle - oh and the almost permanent queue up the hill at Mottram with Eeejits driving all the way up the outside and then trying to cut in at the top !!! - Rant over...Nice thoughts Matt, Nice Thoughts ....breathe !!!

JohnnyW 06 Nov 2015
In reply to ring ouzel:

> I am working on the A9 just now. I heard a report on Radio Scotland where someone said the average speed cameras had slowed down the traffic and there was now little aggressive driving. Utter balderdash!! It is more dangerous than it ever was!! Every day I see nutters try dangerous overtaking moves. Cant wait to move on to another site!

Got to disagree, and I drive this road many, many times, and have done so for years. There is definitely less bad over-taking now. It was crazy before, so seeing nutters every day isn't as bad as nutters every few miles, every hour!

.....and get off here and hurry up and get it bloody finished will you
 JohnnyW 06 Nov 2015
In reply to Doug Hughes:

> I've travelled most of the above roads (not always at rush hour) without too much trauma, but have arrived at the end of the Loch Arkaig road white-faced and white-knuckled!

You see, this thread is really about the relationship of 'amount of traffic' and 'how late you are for work'. The Arkaig road is truly stressful in terms of how many blind crests and bends there are, the fact the Arkaig mile is twice as long as any other mile you have ever driven, and the fact that you usually drive it in the dark after a tiring day walking out from Sourlies or the the Dessary peaks, so are knackered.

Have only done it twice this year, and familiarity does not help one iota, other than the fact they have (sort of) shored up the bit that was collapsing, and filled 110,000 of the potholes, only leaving 110,000 to go, so at least I can remember the huge ones
 HakanT 06 Nov 2015
In reply to Babika:

I'm inclined to agree regarding the A14.

Apparently, the scariest intersection in the country is Hanger Lane: http://h2g2.com/approved_entry/A303346
 Andy Say 06 Nov 2015
In reply to Babika:

M25. No contest. 'The Road to Hell.
 Andy Say 06 Nov 2015
In reply to Tall Clare:
> My vote is for the A65. Very few safe overtaking places, farm vehicles, people towing caravans, some crazy motorcyclists, and people slowing to admire the view/stare at sheep/watch trains. A combination of these things results in some awful accidents.
Nay.
A65 was my favourite race track. In the right conditions it still is
I remember forgetting my rock shoes once and did Attermire - Keighley - Attermire in 60 minutes.
Its a good road if you can keep your cool, know the decent overtaking spots and recognise that if you are at the end of a 50 vehicle tail back behind a sheep transporter then you you simply have to r e l a x.

At the end of the day its just a road!

Robert Durran 06 Nov 2015
In reply to JohnnyW:

> Got to disagree, and I drive this road many, many times, and have done so for years. There is definitely less bad over-taking now.

I agree. Far safer now. And much more relaxing in busy traffic with no incentive to overtake. I only resent the speed cameras when the road is empty.

In reply to Toccata:
> ...my award goes to the M6 from Manchester to Birmingham...

Seconded! The M6 is the obvious route home to the midlands from the Lake District. However it gets so congested on Sundays that I miss it altogether and cross the Pennines from Penrith to Scotch Corner then head south on the A1/A1M and M1.
In reply to Babika:

Strange no one's mentioned that old horror the North Circular Road. Much of it is now better than it used to be, but the entrance on to it from the A1/Hendon Way still defies description, it's so bad. No traffic lights, just one totally inadequate roundabout, so its a huge snarl-up with very slow-moving traffic on all sides in a kind of (inexplicable in 2015) free-for-all. A nightmare if you're wanting to get to an appointment.
 Bob 06 Nov 2015
In reply to Babika:

A family friend who was a HGV driver reckoned that the worst road to drive on was the A590 between the M6/A6 and Barrow in Furness.

I'm not sure about that but the worst I've been on in recent times is the A1(M) between Peterborough and Worksop. An old two lane dual carriageway packed full with a traffic mixture of impatient car drivers; HGVs and agricultural vehicles it's a nightmare. The last time I drove it was at night on the way back from Chamonix and although it was fairly empty, the drivers were just nuts: turning right across the central junction from the near side lane without indicating being typical.

What's most bizarre about the road though is that somewhere about halfway along this section is a sign stating something like "Pedal Cycles prohibited after next junction". I can't think of any cyclist who would go near any of it.
 alasdair19 06 Nov 2015
In reply to Bob:

I remember being seriously frightened by that road in similar circumstances but very early morning in thick fog. depressingly dangerous part of am alpine holiday.
Removed User 06 Nov 2015
In reply to tony:

I have been travelling the A65 road to the Lakes for over 50 years and it has always been a pain. Last month it gave me my first speeding ticket after 50 years of driving, when I came up from Stansted to Ambleside. In that dark and rain, I failed to spot a 40mph sign printed on the road. Not a lot over the limit but I think that I was concentrating so much on keeping the car on the road. The previous year coming back from Keswick in my motorhome I was hit by a truck cutting a corner. Fortunately it only damaged a wing mirror, awning and window but it shows just what a difficult road this is.
 neuromancer 06 Nov 2015
In reply to Babika:

I have to agree with the people voting for the south west corner of the m25.

A wildcard: the a27 from brighton to portsmouth. Loads of roads are awful in bad traffic, but this manages to make crossing a huge swathe of country virtually endless. It's literally like taking the a1, and then replacing every single slip road every 2 miles with a roundabout.
 Rob Exile Ward 07 Nov 2015
In reply to Babika:
You're all pussies. A worthy contender for the most stressful road in the UK has to be the A470, the 'main' road that - ahem - 'links' South and North Wales - the Welsh equivalent of the M1, if you like, except that if you can cover the 140 odd miles between Cardiff and Capel Curig in less than 4 hours you're probably Lewis Hamilton.

But the one for the connoisseur has to be the A483 between Newtown and Llandrindod - it's only 30 miles but not doable in n less than an hour. My brother was nearly killed in a head on ciollision on it, and I've rarely driven it without having at least one near miss myself.
Mike_H20 09 Nov 2015
In reply to Bob:

The A590 is not terrible, provided is flows free. The second there's anything, ANYTHING, delaying traffic though and that's it. The wheels fall off the whole operation.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...