UKC

Travel Insurance to top up AAC

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Harry Ellis 06 Nov 2015
Does anyone have any recommendations?
I am an AAC member so am covered for rescue and repatriation costs, but would like to get something to cover flight delays lost/stolen kit etc.
obviously I realise an insurance company is unlikely to pay up for kit lost in rock climbing incidents unless its specifically included but I am willing to chance that.
Are they likely to refuse to pay up for replacing climbing equipment if it were lost or stolen in other circumstances?
Is it worth the risk to save £50 over BMC cover?
What do you think.?
 Simon Caldwell 06 Nov 2015
In reply to thegoatstroker:

You can get cheap travel insurance to cover the extras, either annual or per-trip. Lots of links here
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/cheap-travel-insurance

Also check out your home insurance, it may cover you for loss or theft outside the home. Pretty much the only thing I need top-up insurance for is cancellation, but it's also handy having cover for loss/theft that wouldn't affect my home insurance premium.
 nutme 06 Nov 2015
I had my travel insurance (which was part of Lloyds bank account benefits) cover loss of climbing gear on transfer from airport to hotel. I guess somebody stole or picked by mistake my bag from bus bay.

So yes, travel insurance suppose to cover any gear during flights, transfers and storing up to the limit.

However it took about 2 months to get compensation with a lot of paperwork. Not sure BMC would have been more effective..

Pro tip: always get a police report.
 GridNorth 06 Nov 2015
In reply to thegoatstroker:

I've yet to be convinced it's worth it these days so I hope someone can come along and reassure me. It's worth noting the following potential claims which I thought about on a recent eventful trip to Kalymnos:

Missed outgoing flight because there was an oil spillage on the M4. 2 hour car journey took 6 hours: Not covered.
1 hour delayed flight resulting in missed ferry and additional night in hotel: Not covered.
Return ferry cancelled due to bad weather resulting in missed flight: Not covered.

I think loss of luggage is less likely these days with heightened security measures and computer systems in place. And I would be interested to know how often scheduled flights get cancelled all together for a reason that the insurance would cover.

Al

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...