UKC

Low level daywalks in the Highlands?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Taurig 07 Nov 2015
I was optimistic in thinking that this weekends forecast might improve, but with mwis and met both saying poor vis, incessant rain and wind building to 75-90 mph, I've admitted defeat and decided my planned ridge walk linking two Munros could be a bit daft.

Therefore, I'm wondering if anyone could recommend a low level day walk? Criteria would be up to around 20 km distance wise and preferably no further north than the Fort William/Aviemore; driving solo from Central Belt. Ideally some feature to see rather than a peat big trudge; remote loch, waterfall, nice forest etc. Any suggestions?
 fmck 07 Nov 2015
In reply to Taurig:
Conic hill from Drymen (WHW )then back along loch Lomond is a nice run. No harm walking although slightly marred by the Hydro works behind Conic hill at the moment. 12 miles round trip.
Post edited at 13:50
snoopdawg 07 Nov 2015
In reply to Taurig:

Low level walk from Coylumbridge through the forest up to Glenmore and back via the logging road. Works out around 13 miles/ 5 -6 hours.
 gilliesp 07 Nov 2015
In reply to Taurig:

The two Glencoe Lairigs Gartain and Eilde used to be a bad weather alternative. Horseshoe in nature so back to starting point. However, with a set of OS maps you are spoiled for choice with innumerable options. I always found a walk in to a bothy for some shelter, a drum up then (sometimes reluctantly) the walk oot again eg Peanmeanach near Arisaig, worthwhile. And Barrisdale bothy is hard to beat but swollen burns can be an impediment - as with all walks in wet weather.
OP Taurig 10 Nov 2015
In reply to Taurig:

Apologies for the late response, my excuse being I've just tidied away the kit I was drying after Sunday! I actually ended up walking from Ardgarten down the Ardgoil peninsula. Really just fireroad the whole way, but had quite a remote feel, and for some reason I didn't find the shipping jetty on the other side of the water objectionable, just a feature of the walk.

Thank you for the suggestions however, as I'm sure they'll come in handy over winter.

Also, hydro works behind Conic Hill?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...