UKC

Indoor rope

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Quick question, I have a second hand rope that has had no falls on it that I use outside. Other half wants to learn to lead indoors but I dont have a specific indoor rope, so can I use my outdoor rope or will repeated indoor falls and lower offs basically ruin it for out door use?

Sorry if this is a moronic question!

Jon Stewart 08 Nov 2015
In reply to Asleep in the backs:

A rope will last longer the less it is used, and the less it is fallen on. The only advantage I can see of having different (single) ropes for indoor and outdoor would be the length (have a shorter one for indoors for convenience). Whatever rope you subject to a lot of falls is going to wear out and you'll have to buy a new one!
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Cool, so I could use it indoors now and ask the OH to replace it with a nice new xmas one for next year!
 Tpgough 08 Nov 2015
Sorry to jump on the back of this, but when people say a rope or piece of gear has taken no / X falls, what do they really mean? What classifies as a 'fall' that should be counted? And, who actually counts up the number of times this has happened in the gear's lifetime?!
Post edited at 15:29
In reply to Tpgough:

I knew the guy I brought it from and he usually falls in an obvious way or not at all. Not sure and the parameters on what constitutes a 'fall' but he stated no epics on it.

Oh and I would count, but the I dont fall because it scares the crap out me enough inside so I dont push outside.
 Big_T 08 Nov 2015
As John said, the obvious choice is a shorter indoor rope and a longer outdoor rope.
But ropes are not cheap. I have used 1 rope for both in the past.
It all comes down to common sense. Inspect the rope yourself and make the call whether you'd trust your life on it.

A quick google search will show you how if you don't know what you're looking for.
For example, this took 10 seconds to find and seems to explain pretty well and the pics definitely helps
http://blog.weighmyrack.com/when-to-retire-your-rope-inspection/

Hope this helps and i'm not teaching you to suck eggs
Post edited at 21:43
 Mark1800 09 Nov 2015
In reply to Tpgough:

Ropes come with a 'fall rating' - the number of UIAA falls they can withstand. With a UIAA fall being about a 1.8 fall factor.

You'll probably remember if you've had a UIAA fall...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...