UKC

Mountaineering club in London

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MPSBunny 08 Nov 2015
I've just moved down to South London and I'm looking to join a mountaineering club. I've looked on the Internet and found a few but I want to join one where there is a focus on easier winter climbing (ideally grade III or IV). Most the clubs seem to run trips where this is doable but which club would be best to meet like minded people willing to travel up to Scotland and back for a weekend?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Ben
 SenzuBean 08 Nov 2015
In reply to MPSBunny:

I can recommend both the LMC and RMC as great clubs to be a part of. Both have some trips that do include (weather dependent) winter climbing, but in my limited experience there's not too many ice climbers about - and certainly the majority are at low grades. Since membership is fairly cheap (£30~), I'd just join both clubs (or another such as NLMC) personally if you can afford it to get access to more meets.
Another good option is to just hang out with your old club - plenty of current members of both these clubs seem to be based on the opposite side of the country.
 alexm198 08 Nov 2015
In reply to MPSBunny:
Hi Ben,

Can't offer much advice on the club front but I'll be based down in London as of next week and will definitely be looking for partners to share the drive up to Scotland on the weekends - if you're interested drop me a message and we can discuss.

Alex
Post edited at 23:37
 Mr. Lee 09 Nov 2015
In reply to MPSBunny:

I used to be in the LMC when I lived in London. I did a few trips to Scotland with partners from the club but generally found it quite hard to find regular partners on an adhoc basis when conditions were good. I'd recommend them nonetheless as the club were very active generally and it was easy meet members and socials/walls/meets.

The hardest thing with finding London partners for Scottish winter is that people need to be pretty psyched to drive 9 hours each direction in a weekend. Generally people with that level of psyche for Scottish winter don't live in London in the first place, so it felt a bit of a catch-22 for me.

Other major problem was finding people who could finish work early enough on a Friday to get to Scotland at a sensible time. Bearing in mind leaving in the heart of rush hour meant further delays. Eg a 6pm departure could easily result in a 4am arrival.

I did such trips for a few years but it really started to wear me down to be honest. When you get a good run with the traffic it's ok. Often there were significant delays at some point on the journey, which could easily add an hour or two. I crashed the car through sleep deprivation on one occasion on the return journey. Another occasion I took a big fall on a route, also related to sleep deprivation I reckon.

In summary I'd try to put yourself around as much as possible as regular Scottish climbers are a fairly rare breed. Join a London club, look for people on UKC, maybe look at the CC also. Last season before I moved away from London I was climbing with more people from the North, or from Scotland, and taking the train to eg Glasgow. It cost a bit more but the train was definately more relaxing and finding partners in eg Scotland much easier.
 Dell 09 Nov 2015
In reply to MPSBunny:

Where in South London? It's a big place!
 Simon4 10 Nov 2015
In reply to Mr. Lee:
> The hardest thing with finding London partners for Scottish winter is that people need to be pretty psyched to drive 9 hours each direction in a weekend. Generally people with that level of psyche for Scottish winter don't live in London in the first place, so it felt a bit of a catch-22 for me.

> I did such trips for a few years but it really started to wear me down to be honest. W

Yes, Scottish ice climbing is quite character-building enough without adding a monstrous drive in as well. Quite dangerous, esp the return drive when all are knackered and there is no adrenaline from the prospect of a weekend and all you want to do is to get back. As I can testify having once left Aviemore car park at 9 pm on a Sunday evening, after a storm-tossed route and joining the London morning rush hour traffic before going to "work" that day.

On the other hand, it is nearly as quick (or as quick), to go to the French or Italian Alps for cascade climbing in Winter, i.e. fly/drive, though it doesn't require the same moral fibre, it does tend to be more reliable.
Post edited at 14:25
In reply to MPSBunny:

I've taken the sleeper train up to Aviemore/FW a few times from London for weekend climbing trips. It's pricey but you can save money by opting for a seat rather than a bed (no-one else seems to do this so you can have the whole carriage to yourself and sprawl out!)
Helps to have someone meet you in end destination with a car though otherwise you're a bit stuck for getting out to places.
Best thing = arriving in Euston at 7am Monday, quick shower at the office, and straight to your desk.

CurlyStevo 11 Nov 2015
In reply to MPSBunny:

LMC are a good club, lot of trips, keen friendly climbers, they have hut(s) etc

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...