UKC

I think tomorrow should be a National holiday.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
It probably been done to death, however. However I think tomorrow should be a National holiday.

If you don't know why, its all the more reason it should be.

The pomp that happens on the Sunday, is jingoistic sabre rattling.
It is not a reflection of the lives stolen, that's stolen not given,

Tom Valentine 10 Nov 2015
In reply to Name Changed 34:

Bollocks.
I attended my local cenotaph and it was a subdued, thoughtful ceremony.
To imply that people who attend these functions are jingoistic sabre rattlers is offensive, especially to those who have lost a loved one in some conflict or other.
 Greasy Prusiks 10 Nov 2015

I think a national holiday would give the wrong idea especially to kids.
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> Bollocks.

> I attended my local cenotaph and it was a subdued, thoughtful ceremony.

> To imply that people who attend these functions are jingoistic sabre rattlers is offensive, especially to those who have lost a loved one in some conflict or other.

Sorry,that's not what I said, or an trying to imply, the event is jingoistic.
Can we not just quietly remember? walk by,leave a poppy, sit, or stand, we all know why we are there, do we need instruction in this?

The point was why on the Sunday ? is it to much to ask UK to remember on a working day
 Tom Valentine 10 Nov 2015

Disregarding your comment about "jingoistic sabre rattling" (---Is that really what the tune "Nimrod" and the words of "For the Fallen " suggest to you?) I agree that quietly remembering the horrors of war is a suitable way of addressing the subject.
A lot of places will observe a two minute silence on the working day, not compulsory, though; once you make it a statutory holiday (which seems rather celebratory to me) you remove a large element of people's choice.
 Trangia 10 Nov 2015
I've often wondered why we have both Armistice Day AND Remembrance Sunday. It would make sense to combine the two into one as a National Holiday (unless it coincides with a Sunday) on 11th Nov with Acts of Remembrance at war memorials throughout the country at 11 am.

This is what happens in France.
Post edited at 13:18
 Tony the Blade 10 Nov 2015

Which national (bank) holiday would you sacrifice for this?

Personally I'm against your suggestion, and more so against your use of the term done to death on such a thread.

My Mum lost her Dad in the 2WW and I lost a friend in a more recent conflict, I choose to consider their sacrifice in a personal way (with a dram of single malt, a few photos and sometimes a few tears) I don't need to be told how and when to celebrate their lives.
In reply to Tom Valentine:

once you make it a statutory holiday (which seems rather celebratory to me) you remove a large element of people's choice.

That is a very valid point
Post edited at 13:45
In reply to Tony the Blade:

term xxxxxxxxxxxx on such a thread

Yes that's totally inappropriate. and to late for me to edit.
sorry
 Rampikino 10 Nov 2015

Gathering at our local churchyard on Remembrance Sunday or pausing for a couple of minutes before a sporting event, or taking part in a Remembrance Parade, as I did in the RAF, has never borne any resemblance to your OP.

And no, a holiday is not a good idea.
 Tony the Blade 10 Nov 2015

> Yes that's totally inappropriate. and to late for me to edit.

> sorry

No worries
 marsbar 10 Nov 2015

I think it's good that we are in school, it means we stop for the silence and the children learn about it. Otherwise if it was a holiday they would be asleep or shopping or something.
 Jamie Wakeham 11 Nov 2015
In reply to marsbar:

Indeed. My classes always began at 1050, and stoping it at 1100 was a pain (if I had bottom set Y11 it was quite a test of my classroom management skills), but ye gods we stopped.
In reply to marsbar:

> I think it's good that we are in school, it means we stop for the silence and the children learn about it. Otherwise if it was a holiday they would be asleep or shopping or something.

You're dead right. A holiday would be absolutely wrong in every way.
 nufkin 12 Nov 2015

> that's stolen not given

Having a State-sanctioned national day of recognition for the State's role in the wounding and death of its citizens seems rather contradictory. Not that that necessarily makes it a bad idea, but a bit difficult to know how to approach it
 planetmarshall 12 Nov 2015
In reply to Trangia:

> I've often wondered why we have both Armistice Day AND Remembrance Sunday.

The commemoration of Armistice Day predates that of Remembrance Sunday, having been started formally in 1919. In the UK the remembrance was moved to a Sunday during the Second World War so that the state didn't lose 2 minutes of wartime production ( sounds ridiculous, but I suppose 2 minutes multiplied by millions of workers is quite a lot of work ).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...