UKC

Running form - why am I so variable

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JuneBob 10 Nov 2015
My running performance is so variable.
Say I run 10k, and my best time is 40 minutes. I would have thought that if I have a really off day, worst case I'd drop to 45 minutes.

But, for me it seems way worse. About a month ago I ran 21k at about 4:20/km with effort, but nothing ridiculous. I also ran 40min 10k when I didn't feel so great recently, but last night I ran 11k at 4:50/km, I felt awful, my legs were tired, I felt sick, I felt I couldn't go any faster, just awful. Ok, I didn't have a great night sleep, and I had my dinner to soon before I went, but nothing dramatic. I ran a similar distance on Saturday too, and it was a similar story, I just felt so weak and I was even slower, 5:10/km. How can I have suddenly become so bad?

Is such variation in form normal? How can I counter it?
 The New NickB 10 Nov 2015
In reply to JuneBob:

I take it these aren't races, just you going for a run. I certainly don't, nor would I want to run at race pace every time I run. I run most days and certainly some days I couldn't run anything close to race pace. My 10k race pace is 3:45/km, yet most of my running is probably more like 4:45/km.
OP JuneBob 10 Nov 2015
In reply to JuneBob:

Yeah, this is just running, I was trying to run at a gentler pace, but if I can do 4/km, then 5/km should feel quite easy, not a battle?
 The New NickB 10 Nov 2015
In reply to JuneBob:

Some days it just doesn't feel as easy.
 Phil Murray 10 Nov 2015
In reply to The New NickB:

My experience is exactly as NickB the New - 3:50 -ish during a race, but in training, my garmin often "shocks" me by saying I'm "only" running at 4:45 pace, even tho I feel like I'm going faster. No biggie.

Keep it varied, & keep having rest periods as well as consistent training. Also, don't worry that you're only as good as your last run. It's all £££ in the bank.... good luck!
 Angrypenguin 10 Nov 2015
In reply to JuneBob:

I think some variation is performance is to be expected due to many factors such as nutrition, training load and personal circumstances at the time such as amount of time spent at work and stress.

I don't think you should expect to achieve your best possible all the time. In training to achieve peak performance I think it is conventional to customise your training such to peak for a race and then have a period of recovery afterwards.

I'm not sure I have explained this eloquently - perhaps something like this? http://running.competitor.com/2014/04/training/the-art-of-peaking-for-a-goa...
 Yanis Nayu 10 Nov 2015
In reply to JuneBob:

Bear in mind it's cold and flu season. Quite possible you are / were sickening for a cold.

I think being at work all day has a significant effect.
 Roadrunner5 14 Nov 2015
In reply to JuneBob:

As said its normal.

This week I did a hard 14 Sunday at 4:00 min ks, Monday was 5 at 5 min ks, Tuesday was 6ks of reps at 3 min ks, Wednesday a slow 6 miles at 5:30 min ks, Friday was 4 mile tempo at 3:30 min ks.. Today will probably be 10 miles at 4:30 min ks.
ceri 14 Nov 2015
In reply to JuneBob:
Are they all similar terrain? If you're running off road then hills, underfoot conditions, stiles, cows etc can massively affect your speed.
 DancingOnRock 14 Nov 2015
In reply to JuneBob:

Sounds like overtraining.

Are you trying to run all your 10ks at 4:00 and 21ks at 4:20?

That's race pace, you'll kill yourself.
OP JuneBob 14 Nov 2015
In reply to DancingOnRock:

No, I'm saying if my 10k race pace is 4/k, then I'd expect running it at 5/k would feel comfortable, not really hard. But anyway, it seems from people's replies it can vary. Thanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...